This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 12:27pm
Folks,
Put All the toys away yestreday. Will have a week between the next project in the shop which is the start of the wall coverings. Should pick up the steel and trim next Wednesday. 

Resting today.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 17 Apr 2021 at 8:18am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 8:16pm
Folks,
 Weather is cold again almost snowing, just a misty cold rain. Spent most of the day in the shop working on my truck. Cranked the heat up to 64 (was at 61 F) and the time to get to that temp was about 2 hours. Not sure how much fuel we consumed to get there, but the response time was actually pretty quick. Worked in a flannel all day. Truck was a disaster after syrup season. Washed, vacuumed, cleaned dash, did the windows, changed the tires and rims over to the summer ones. I am getting spoiled in the heated shop!!
Not a great picture, but I think Nic may be over to work on some electrical soon, so that may change.

Regards,
 Chris 

Edited by Sugarmaker - 16 Apr 2021 at 8:19pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 9:35pm
Chris, those warm floors are awesome IMO. Glad you're enjoying it. Always good to get in a warm environment when it's nasty outside
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 8:11am
Plummer, Folks, 
Not very ambitious today. But if it is warm when I get there I may do some sanding and painting on truck fenders to repair chips and try to cover the surface rust.
I know one thing the bath/ utility area is always nice and toasty warm!Smile
I have a custom bath cabinet to build for that tiny stainless hand sink too. May bring that to the top of the list of things to get done. or started soon. Would be nice to have that functional! I think its just going to be 3/4 inch plywood structure with maybe some spar varnish slapped on it like the walls?? Maybe small shelves for holding some cleaning items? Have Ideas need to get them turned into something real!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 17 Apr 2021 at 8:16am
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 8:18am
Chris, Hope the scope procedure went OK. Some of those doctor things certainly take one's dignity away. About time for another one for me. Also had one to check my bladder a couple of times. Sure hate that stuff. Years ago folks were just stuck with what they had or needed to opened up to explore for problems. Suppose we shouldn't complain. Russell. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 8:49am
Russell,
 I agree good technology to check us out from one end to the other today! Like getting a vehicle inspected, good to get it done once in a while. The Prep and after effects were way tougher than the actual event. Man that is some good sleep when your under!
Hope things are good out there in Orange Land!
Ok I checked Facebook, Ford Truck Forum, Facebook Marketplace, Email,  texts and the Allis forum! Guess I am all caught up for a while!Smile
 Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 17 Apr 2021 at 8:50am
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 1:21pm
My doctor retired last October and my new doctor told me at my age it's up to me if I ever have another one of them scopes & the bladder checking for kidney stones and the removal was not something I ever want to have again
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:30pm
Folks,
 Pulled the Ford Jubilee out of the shop and mowed lawn this afternoon. Worked on paint (surface rust) on the Ford truck today. Both sides behind the rear wheels takes a beating:

Grind the old paint off, clean and rattle can some primer, then top coat with matching gray top coat:

Better:

Before on the pass side:
 After:

Another project made much easier by having it nice and warm and dry. Also nice just moving around on a smooth floor!

I have done some whittling on a chunk of the gold plated 3/4 inch plywood. Trying to fashion it into the shape of a sink cabinet for a crusty old stainless sink that has been kicking around here for 20 years. So should I fix the old ELKAY faucets or replace them with a cheap $30 set of spigots? 

Plan is to just add spar varnish, mount the sink, drain and suppy lines and say thats good enough. Oh yea have to build a door.

Thanks for checking on me! Hope things are good in Orange land too!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 19 Apr 2021 at 1:17am
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 10:54pm
Keep that faucet.  It has the long goose neck!  I don't know where you're going to get a $30 faucet.  They are a LOT more than that around here!
Looking good!

As for getting caught up, I don't think I ever will.  Just TOO many projects and never enough time....  It's hard to get on here anymore.

P.S.
Dang retirement!  Anybody wanna hire an old decrepit has been?  I need the rest.

Edited by Ted J - 18 Apr 2021 at 10:55pm
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 1:15am
Ted,
Thanks for the support and suggestions! I will look into rebuilding the old faucet. It is a sturdy unit. Have good local hardware back in business now too. Old old store restocked with a great selection. Not the cheapest, but saves driving 20 miles also. They should have the rubber washers for it. 
I agree that most days I work a lot harder and longer than when I had a full time job too.
But I am not looking for a job. Love the retirement thing!
Regards,
 Chris 
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 5:44am
Sorry to be off topic, but I have to tell my favorite retirement story.

Shortly after I retired, we took the grandkids camping. Our youngest granddaughter was 5 at the time and loves to talk. Our camping neighbors, in the next campsite, asked her what we did for work (and were eager to tell us her reply). She told them "My grandmother is a nurse. She works in a prison. But my grandfather doesn't work anymore. He is a bum!" (I wonder where she heard that...)

Being a bum is great !!!

Edited by WF owner - 19 Apr 2021 at 5:45am
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 5:56am
sink sugesstion...
remove top piece THEN varnish the frame and entire top(all 6 sides) , at least 2 coats...
It'll sloww down the plywood edges from 'wicking' up water.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 6:16am
WF, Jay,
That is cute being a BUM! 
Jay good idea on the varnish. Makes good sense too. Will think about that one some disassembly required:)
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 10:19am
Folks,
 Trip back in time at Kennedy's Hardware in Cranesville PA, picked through old rubber washers and o rings toi get parts to rebuild the ELKAY antique faucet. Might just work? Ted was right cheapest new set was $40 plus!
Got some Spar varnish for the sink base too. 
Also set up the $5.43 5 foot brake for bending the corners on the steel liner panels for the wainscoting on the interior of the shop. Glad I didnt throw this out during clean up!

Outside corner:
Inside corner:

Some prototype bends, looks like it should work OK. This is going to be in lieu of a trim piece on the corners.

Also took the truck in for fluid film application this afternoon. It has been washed and drying for a couple days. Hope this stuff helps save it for a little longer.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 19 Apr 2021 at 10:25am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 11:14am
I like your bend idea. Should save on cost of trim.
Take a close look at the seats of that faucet. If a groove is worn in the seat it will take out the washer very quickly. Most faucets had replaceable seats but an old, knowledgeable hardware store is likely the only source for them if even have any. I used to get them also from a catalog supply outfit. P&M if I remember correctly
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 7:49pm
plummer,
Yes the old hardware had ancient small plastic boxes of O rings. I picked out several that looked right. They also had the flat rubber washers for the seals in the turn portion. 
New seals, o rings. Cost me about $8. Have it on test now. No leaks yet. 

Putty around the base to the sink.

Also found a leak in a union in the main supply line. Tightening just did not help. Was able to take the seat out and found a burr that was not allowing the seat to close. Ground it down and reinstalled. Seems fine now.

I lost the plastic seal in the top of the drain pipe. Dang!

Have a solution to the water wicking into the plywood as Jay mentioned. ( I did see this happening as I was fixing the leaky union!) I am going to take the cabinet back apart and remove some material near the floor (about 1/4 inch). Just keep a small support leg with something waterproof under it.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 19 Apr 2021 at 8:11pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 8:06am
Folks,
 had this all done and internet crashed.
Some pictures of the prototype wall panel install.
Start with snow stop, 45ed one piece in corner then slipped the other piece inside. Looks ok. Snow stop is tucked inside the vertical Jay on each end:

Panel bent 90 deg for corner:

The look. 36 inches from floor to where the double angle will run as trim on top of the panels. Top screws should be hidden by 1.5 over lap:

Off topic: Picture of me and my TD6 that is being worked on, by new owner Matt in LakeCity PA. I guess its time? I have owned it for 7 years. My uncle had it for 50 years.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 21 Apr 2021 at 8:09am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 9:04am
Sure is a cute little machine.Your shed is shaping up nicely
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 4:27pm
T, Folks,
Thanks! We have winter again today in Albion PA:

My tiny sink upside down with some Danco clips in position to hold the sink to the cabinet. Of course they had to be modified, that's pretty much the norm!

Bought a set of Forestener (SP?) bits for sinking the holes for the door hinges.
Took the sink apart and coated the edges and exterior with several coats of spar varnish. Its really soaking it up. 

Amish folks called and all my steel and the trim is ready for pick up Friday or Saturday. Perfect timing if I can get this sink back together, then I can start on the steel and trim work. When that's done the wood should be just about here too.

Added a very important feature in the utility room: A cell phone holder!Smile
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 21 Apr 2021 at 4:30pm
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 4:37pm
Make sure you don't accidentally turn on the video while sitting down...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 4:40pm
John,
 I will try to avoid that! Notice I don't do videos much. No use making a bigger fool of my self than you can already make out with just pictures! When are you stopping by this summer? I want to have some type of work lined up for us!:) Wait... forgot, there is always something to do!
 Regards,
 Chris

JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 5:21pm
Sometime right around the 4th of July (not on the 4th, coming for the picnic).  I'm sure you can find something for us to do, hope to drag along my retired GM millwright, maple syrup making cousin in law.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 7:17am
John,
Sounds good!
Regard,
 Chris
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 9:11am
Man, that shop is looking fantastic!! Even with the white stuff, which you can keep.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 10:23am
Mike,
Folks,
 Thanks, Yea the s........w and cold is a step back to winter. So much for thinking we were going to get a fruit crop this year.
Shop was 65 F when I went this morning. Cooper and I put the varnished sink parts back together. 

Cooper checked out all the heating system. removing the slide in thermometers immediately. Just the way his 3 year old brain works!

Busted:

We didnt need our coats after a little while. Pretty comfortable in the shop.

Coffee break at 10:00:

He had to have me start the F40, plus some time on the Cub Cadet 73.

Have applied some clear caulking around the perimeter of the sink to wall joint. Other than that it is on line and functional! 

Thanks for checking in on me and our shop talk blog.
Regard,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 23 Apr 2021 at 2:29pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 11:50am
Looking good!!! Those slip in thermometers are great till inquiring minds get hold of ‘em.

Edited by plummerscarin - 22 Apr 2021 at 11:52am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 1:47pm
Now your wife can't yell at you for coming to the house with dirty hands
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 3:09pm
Now he won't have to go in the house at all, except maybe to eat!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 5:44am
John, Folks,
 I have lost about 10 lbs. not coming in to eat! Trying to stay busy.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 2:27pm
Folks,
 As planned have a good breakfast in Linesville PA with hd1937 (Jim)and gather up more building parts:

Yes the F40 sure is handy for these projects. Almost got stuck with it. Steering wheels backed off the cement and she spun a little trying to get back on solid ground!:

Second Covid shot this afternoon. Will see how that goes!

Regards,
 Chris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 56>
  Share Topic