This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 9:20pm
Gary, plummer, Folks,
 The elec outlet for the proposed opener fell on a rib. Called the electrician and he said just move it up in the rafters for now and he will deal with it later. This door may not get a opener??
So the crew was here tonight and have almost all of the Zone 1 ceiling completed.

I played most of the day making maple and honey items

Started all the orange tractors Woops forgot one, the 45!
Nic's WD:

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 11:04pm
Experience really makes things go faster!  Looking better and better!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 8:00am
John,
 Thanks!
Getting there, getting tired!:)
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 8:06am
Allis Folks,
Hosted a monthly Maple meeting at the shop last night. About 20 maple producers attended. Worked great!

Also did a prototype mock up of the hose reel set up. I think this is going to work fine.
The mount has a pivot that allows 180 degree rotation.

The shut offs are only in a temp location for fit up:

Minor details like running the supply lines, wall coverings, etc.........

The ceiling crew is planning to return tonight and start on zone 2 Red room. 
I think I am going to use wood inside the entire air compressor room to help deaden the sound. If I ever get it move over from the garage.

Was reviewing the jib crane and realized that I must not have tightened the bolts for the bottom adjustment. It had shifted back to the less desired position. So I worked on that after the meeting and got it shimmed moved and secured again. Darn thing almost got away from me. That would not have been good! May add a positive stop or get the welder fired up and attach it more better!

Regards,
 Chris 

Edited by Sugarmaker - 09 Apr 2021 at 8:07am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 3:17am
Folks,
The crew for the ceiling panels arrived tonight and worked late to get the red room liner panels installed. They kept me busy as the ground man, and getting things ready for the next move: Austin and Nick did a great job. They will be back Monday to finish additional details. But the big parts are done, and I am very pleased with the results!

I did get the WD45 out and put the 3 bottoms on:

The drive through feature in the shop is real handy and what a nice breeze through the building as the temp was around 80 F.

I did also go look at a 48 Ford F700 truck today. Just browsing!:

Regards,
 Chris
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 9:25am
So, you got the plow on the 45, is it going in the dirt soon?
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 10:08am
Humm, got to think there's more to the story of the Ford truck to come.  It would look pretty good in Red next to your pickup...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 9:10pm
Mike,
 John,
 Allis folks,
The WD45 will sink those plows in the garden on Monday if the weather is good. I will expand slightly as I have some new special seed, for super sweet corn coming from friend Steve Y.
The Ford F7 is a tall drink of water! I like it but cant figure out what I might do with it, if I had it?? Except maybe old tractor/ truck/ car shows?
I like the look of the 48 Ford, 1956 Ford and the 76 thru 79 Ford trucks. Not sure where I am going with that. But I do browse the Ford Truck Enthusiast Forum also!
Family spent the day visiting and educating folks about maple syrup. 
Then a tractor meeting after that. Our club has decided to go forward and plan for shows this year! Yippy!
Tired.
Neighbor has a Ford 9N for sale, I may go look at on Monday. He wants $2500 for it.
Me and Grand Daughter Addi:

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 10 Apr 2021 at 9:14pm
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 1:32am
$2,500 for a 9N is way too high IMHO.  Unless it is completely restored and then it's still a 9N...
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 7:13am
Looks like it would be big enough to put roll back on it then you could carry those toys to the shows. Like how we spend your money for you?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 8:40am
Humm, roll back, humm, wonder what one of those would cost? Humm? more money! humm???Smile Thanks for all the help. You guys are really good at the money spending part of this addiction! That same Red as the 2015 would look real good on the 48! Chrome wheels, yea now its all coming together!........ Accepting donations! Never owned anything in the 40's yet.

Yea the 9N is still the 9N, will try to get some pictures. it is supposed to be in good shape. New brakes etc.... He wants to buy a electric wheelchair, has MS bad.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 11 Apr 2021 at 8:42am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 8:30am
We're going to need plow-day pictures!

Really wish my 45 and plow, (pick one) were painted that nicely!
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 12:24pm
A couple years ago I bought a Ryobl electric zero turn mower.  My much younger renter said "Hey, this is great!  When you get really old we can take the deck off any you can use it as your electric wheelchair."
I'm not that old!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 1:11pm
Folks,
 Will try to get some pictures if we plow. Two events. First annual Matt Hickin plow day by invitation only, and the first annual plow day at the pioneer steam show area public welcome.

On the shop: Just ordered the rat guard, Z trim ansd the steel panels for the bottom of each room. 
Crew will be here tonight to fill in any small areas with ceiling liner panels.
Regards,
 Chris
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 3:25pm
  Chris building is looking great. I had a 1955 F-600 that I sold last year I am down sizing, I will be 76 next month and I am finishing odds and ends on my 1975 F-150 and enjoy driving it . Keep up the good work.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 9:43pm
t adams, Sounds a lot like where I would like to be too! I like both of those trucks!
We need some pictures too!

The guys finished the ceiling tonight! Very happy with their work and the results also!

bathroom:

stairs:

They were happy I was happy!

Had the WD45 out trying to plow the garden:

Had a little problem, snap couple came un hooked:

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 12 Apr 2021 at 9:45pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 9:45pm
still loving all the pics!
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 10:54pm
Another milestone completed! Ceilings all look great!

Nice job on the garden and thanks for all the pics!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 12:32am
At least you know that the lift latches did what they are supposed to do.  I notice the one on the left, the plow didn't come out of the latch.  It's open, but didn't come out.  Tree root?
The 'shop' is really looking great now!  You're lucky you started when you did!  Have you seen the price of lumber lately?  Holey COW!
How's that 'new' tractor doing?  2nd or 3rd gear plowing?
Summer is ALMOST here....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 1:38am
Chris, go to k-wauctions.com to see all the Allis's selling this Saturday.  Also there are several Late 40's early 50's Ford trucks to check out.  Sorry, I don't think I can bring one back to you in July, plan on flying...
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 6:18am
re: Had a little problem, snap couple came un hooked:

at least YOU were on level ground !
I had the same thing happen,on neighbours hilly land. 'Fun' going walkabout finding rocks and branches to get the correct 'configuration' of the plow to get tractor to reconnect....
think I spent more time fixin than plowin..... but it was warm, sunny and fun nonetheless.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 6:53am
Guys,
 You are right! Spent about as much time getting hooked back up to the plows than plowing. Couldn't back up much, left side adjuster wanted to hit tire. Just had to keep playing around. Adjusted the right side adjust all the way out. Unhooked the left side and pulled the plow up to a more level position. Then hooked both latches back on. 
For some reason the tip of the leading plow seems too close to the ground? I domnt have much air in the tires so that may be part of it?
This garden area is over a old house foundation.  I did hit a wall rock or two. Very hard! That may have been when the latch came unhooked?
I only plowed in this area in low gear. No race for this project. Between traction booster and brakes, I had all I could do to keep her moving forward. Tires are not loaded, just the one set of wheel weights. Tractor is at 4000 lb.
Hope to do some more plowing on better ground soon. It did not want to turn that sod in the yard over well at all. Probably still dont have the plows set right??

On the shop: I got scared on the colors in the room and have dropped back to the KISS option. Keep It Simple Stupid! Going with white snow stop ( I thought it was rat guard),
white liner panels 34 inch high, and then white double angle (Z channel), Then the hemlock above.
I have it all ordered except for the trim above and below the vertical panel. I thought I was going to do the red, white and blue theme but just did not look right in any combination. We will add some color in the shop with a bunch of Persian Orange for a while!
Prototype of wall covering, next to the door on the left:

Ordered 260 pcs of Hemlock 1 x 8 ship lap at 8 foot long, and 150 pc 12 foot long. That should be a real good start.
Looks like the rough cut side will be the show side, as they cant put the detail on the edge planed side:( Have to begin looking for a natural coating for the wood too. Have all kinds of samples to try.

John, I know the material prices have gone up a lot. Even the steel and hemlock have seen increases. I have heard the OSB (7/16 thick) is around $40 per sheet? If that's the case I save about a grand going with the hemlock at this time. It will cost me more to get it installed for sure. And I did not want the OSB as the wall covering of choice. 

Yard work and clean up last night. Weather is cooler and work will be inside for a couple days. Lots of things to tidy up in the shop to get ready for the next moves too!

Thanks for checking on me! Hope things are good in Orange Land!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 14 Apr 2021 at 7:02am
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 9:48am
Looks like a good time for smores 
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 9:53am
I like it. As for red, white, and blue you can’t go wrong with the American flag and maybe a couple AC pennants on each side
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 12:18pm
Smores and the American Flag! I like it! Thanks guys! Yes going to add my own color with tractors and wall coverings.
Regards,
 Chris
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 1:38pm
Chris, funny, how I just looked at the price of osb.  Cranberry Twp. Home Depot is $42.55 per sheet for 7/16".
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 4:54pm
Chris, I think I see the problem with your plow.  Looks like the tongue is a tad too long for a WD, I think yours has the tongue that should go on a D series tractor.  When properly hooked up, those lift links should be very near to vertical, not sloped away from the tractor, at the bottom...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 8:27am

Your plow is missing the 'sway chains' that prevent it from swinging left or right.

One end of a chain attaches to the plow right near where the Plow Hand Crank is.

The end of the small chain goes inside the tube, held there with the 'existing' snap pin.

Gary
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 11:35am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Chris, I think I see the problem with your plow.  Looks like the tongue is a tad too long for a WD, I think yours has the tongue that should go on a D series tractor.  When properly hooked up, those lift links should be very near to vertical, not sloped away from the tractor, at the bottom...Wink

Dave,
 Will have to think on that one. I plowed with these in early 60's on a WD45 tractor. Don't know when Dad bought them But may have been before D series??
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

Your plow is missing the 'sway chains' that prevent it from swinging left or right.

One end of a chain attaches to the plow right near where the Plow Hand Crank is.

The end of the small chain goes inside the tube, held there with the 'existing' snap pin.

Gary

Gary,
  I do have the sway chains on the plows. May not have them adjusted to spec but they after there. When I let the plows down they seem to swing to the left? I just need to get out and plow some more with them. I did use these on the D17 also and it did a little better job plowing due to the additional weight of the tractor and a little more power didnt hurt. This hard clay soil doesnt turn over easy.
In this picture I disconnected the sway chain on the right side to try to get the plow back in correct location to attach the lift arm.

Something may have moved or came out of adjustment when this latch came unhooked??

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 15 Apr 2021 at 12:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 56>
  Share Topic