This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 12:28pm
it will never be big enough mine is 30x 100 and crammed full

Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by allis g allis g wrote:

Man I thought I had that part figured out! Your probably correct. If I keep bringing stuff home the 4 acres will be full!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 10:22pm
I'd suggest making it as wide as you can, say 40'-45' and then as long as you can afford/ think you need.  Then in a couple years you can add on to the length for more storage.  You might go to the Successful Farming web site, they have an issue each year with "best ides for your shop", some pretty impressive and expensive places but lots of good ides that can be used in a more modest building.
My 2 cents.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 11:18pm
It was a good suggestion to put heavy plastic down before you pour your concrete. It will keep the flour from sweating in the spring or frosting in the winter. It will also keep the water from leaking out of your concrete taking a lot of your cement with it. In other words, less cracking. Now, believe it or not pour your floor in the light of the moon. It will be more stable (float) and definitely will not crack as bad.      Leon
marion View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 8:31am
did you allow room for a 4 post lift?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 9:12am
Folks,
 I had not heard of pouring in the light of the moon? I need to brush up on my astrology too! 
I did think about a 2 post lift. That was the main reason to go with 12 foot inside ceiling height. I don't think I would really need to be that high for anything else. Probably crazy for a old man to have all these ideas.
Current stakes in the yard are at 40' wide x 60 ' long.
Electric company was called and a fellow from there stopped by yesterday to mark a dead ash tree that will need to come down. They will get it on the ground and we will cut it up. 
Two other trees will have to come down as they are inside the current building outline. Doesn't make the wife  or I happy loosing trees. Our dog will miss the one maple as she lays there a lot!
Sorry for the rambling. Thanks for checking in on me too! 
Posting helps me stay on track a little bit. During these difficult time I struggle to understand if I am doing the right thing on considering a major, expensive project?
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 2:49pm
Folks,
The electric company fell the ash tree yesterday. I told them to just get it on the ground, and I would clean it up. Sounded great to them!

Loaded the sticks using the trailer and the wide front WD.

Here is a shot of where the shop is planed to land.

Shot from the front of the sugarhouse looking south west.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:40pm
A few more things to get ready for the site prep.

Used the Wide front and trailer to load the sand for the great grands kids. Got that out of the way.
Fired up the D17 and used it to pull the basketball hoop. 

Neighbor came over and we squared up the corner marking stakes. We need a couple dry days and he should be able to start pushing dirt. 
Yes the two trees at the north end have to go too. I hate cutting tress down!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 25 Apr 2020 at 8:36pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 7:13am
Folks,

Regards,
 Chris

Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 8:27am
I can see already,,, its totally in the wrong place......

It needs to go,,, ah ,,,ah ,,,, about 1500 miles to the southwest....lookin good though, at least your getting started,, I haven't got much past wishing/planning stages...

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 9:05pm
Michael, Folks,
I have been thinking about building a shop for many years. Actually long before I started collecting these large orange toys. So Why now? I am sure if I get this building done this year I will kick my self for not having it sooner.
Our little spot had two potential locations. This one in the island area. and the other would have been towards the back of the property beyond the drive. 
It is going to be big and bold and in our face for a while. 
Neighbor came over with his backhoe and loaded the ash logs.

Today Cheryl also helped me split up the wood from these trees which were in the foot print or very near the new building.

Little moves, as we atttempt to go forward, I think?:) So there was about 2 cord of maple, ash and elm.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 May 2021 at 8:01am
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 11:41pm
NICE Pics Chris!!  Specially you and Mom together and also sitting on those 'twigs'.
Well, the fun is officially now started and you will be having a lot of headaches until it is done.......and that's when the swearing starts.  WHY the H&!! didn't I make it bigger,  WHY didn't I ,,,,,,,,,,
For me it was laying 6" pipe from the house/barn to the new pole shed.  Now everything has to either go overhead, or I still have to trench it in.  It's for speaker wires, extra electric, air hose from the compressor in the barn until I get another one for the pole barn.  That's just a little bit of all the hollering I have done at myself.
Enjoy finally doing it and who cares if it takes all summer.  Just remember every step of the way, to either think of how to change this or what to do to make it better.  We've all been there and help is just a keyboard away.  But then, you already know that.....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 2:35am
Great progress.  Once you cut the trees down, I knew you were serious about building!

FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 7:10am
Like you I hate cutting trees...but seeing the wood and knowing it will be 'useful' makes one feel a little better.  keep on track with your project and enjoy the ride, not the worries
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 8:46am
Thanks guys, I will need a bunch of support and suggestions along the way. The devil is in the details and I have grandoeus plans. We will see how that all works out?:) I will have many trenches and lines run and drains, and power and drains, and power and did I mention drains! Yikes makes my head spin. I think its a good thing I am not planning on doing this all myself. Just a little too big for me to get done in a timely fashion. I also dont have the details in my head, or all the moves to make.
Yea on the trees, my theory is that once you touch the chainsaw to them  its over and you might as well get on to the rest of the work.
The realistic plan is to get the structure up and weathered in. After that will regroup and see what the next moves will be. 
Will try to document some of the moves on here too. 
We have rain today. So not much outside work.
Regards,
Chris
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 12:17am
should get a couple K out of them 2 logs!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 8:22am
Shameless,
The logs are at the Amish saw mill and will be sawn into (4) 1/4 thick lumber (1 inch). I dont know why I get my self into these things! I need a buch of boards like another hole int he head!
The cement guys stopped by last night and gave me the estimates for cement in the building. Planning to go the lower cost route with vapor barrier, wire mesh and 4 inches of concrete. I am not planning to be working in the entire building every day, so in floor heating just does not seem cost effective. I had not priced any of this recently and it was a surprise. So the budget will need to be reviewed and adjusted. How come these things always cost more than you expect!:)
Hope things are good in Orange Land!
 Regards,
Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 8:26am
Originally posted by allis g allis g wrote:

allisG,
 Of course this is a concern of mine also!:) I need to slow down on bringing projects home!
Thanks for the support I think!:)
Regards,
 Chris

m16ty View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m16ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 10:56pm
Personally, if you are building a very big building, I would section off the portion that will be your shop. In the winter, there is no use heating the storage or parking areas. Having the actual workshop sectioned off really saves on heat bills.

Also, I've never been a big fan of having the shop and tractor storage in the same building. I think you are better off to have a shop building, and then build a shed for tractor storage, or have several different buildings for things. I just worry about fire, and it can limit your risk if you don't have "all your eggs in one basket", so to speak. Had a neighbor that converted part of an old barn into a shop. He had hay stored in one end, tractors parked in the side shed, and a shop closed off on the other end. One of the tractors had some sort of electrical short while just sitting there, set the barn and hay on fire, and pretty much burnt up everything he had.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 7:59am
m16ty,
 Thanks for checking in on me. And the suggestions. Yes I have thought about the storage and shop thing too. And I really had considered two separate structures at one time too. Really the tractors could set on gravel in a shed type building and be fine. My property is not real big so the whole project has some compromises. I had thought about a lean too and the builders recommendations were to be most cost effective build it all under one roof. 
I have thought about maybe only cementing one half and also considering havint the work shop area (about 1/4 of the building, being walled off and have a heater in there only. 
Still working on the details.
 I am hoping its a real nice addition to the property, the wife can pay for it, and I can live long enough to have some fun in it with my big toys. Those are my three goals!:)
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 01 Aug 2020 at 1:09am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 8:10am
Originally posted by FloydKS FloydKS wrote:

Like you I hate cutting trees...but seeing the wood and knowing it will be 'useful' makes one feel a little better.  keep on track with your project and enjoy the ride, not the worries

Floyd,
I do worry a lot! Thanks for your support and words. This is the largest most expensive project I have taken on. And at my age I seriously wonder if I am doing the right thing. Some days it seems a little foolish and or selfish. Have been thinking about something like this building for many years!
I will be hiring most of the work done. As I just would not be able to do this building in a timely fashion. I plan to keep busy trying to keep things cleaned up on the job site, run for supplies, or hold the dumb end of the tape measure for someone that knows more about this stuff than me!
 Regards,
 Chris
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 8:43am
Chris, I don’t know if you have locked a contractor yet. Price “Shirks Pole Buildings” out of East Earl PA and request “Linus” pronounced “Lunus”. I had them build my shop and barn a few years ago. They can do what you want, Morton was 2x the cost and are within 4 miles of me. I will attach some pictures of what I have. I am very happy with all aspects of their business.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 8:51am
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 8:55am
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 8:59am
Small shop is 30 x 40 x 10’, barn is 40 x 50 x 18.4’ to the eve.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 9:45am
thats a tall one Allis... what is the layout ?  What is UPSTAIRS ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 10:09am
I have the entire upstairs covered in 3/4” floor boarding for hay. The center bay is 16’ x 12’ H down stairs for clearance so the is a 2’ step up to the center section for the hay mow. Works very well because when loading it is a down hill Throw. I can put 2500 small bales in and still have 3’ of celling clearance.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 10:15am
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 10:21am
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 10:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 56>
  Share Topic