This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 draft control?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhankins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 draft control?
    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 8:48am
My '57 WD45 has no draft control on the lift,it is either up or down,no in between.
 I down loaded a repair manual,but cannot find where this is addressed.
 Any help appreciated!
Sponsored Links

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 9:03am
traction booster is what you are looking for
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 9:15am
Adjustments on the pump may help you get the desired results. A operators manual may also help too. There are three basic settings of control. I dont have them memorized. But they are in most of the books. Should be able to do a search on here and find it too.
Are you trying to plow with the tractor?
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 12:03pm
http://www.dueyschutter.freeservers.com/cgi-bin/i/images/1_hydraulic_pump_settings.jpg ; Start by making sure the pump is set for draft control.  That would be set for "drawbar control" as the first drawing shows.
AaronSEIA
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 2:44pm
if you are trying to get it to stay in one place you need to setup for hold control. if its in traction booster it will stay down until the lever is in position that the hydraulics  overcome the weight and then go up this is sorta  draft control it helps a mounted implement add weight to the rear tires. if you want the front implements to come up before the rear ones use delayed lift. this was used with cultivators .  draft control of mounted implements is actually done by adjusting the angle at setup  the plow will follow the line set by the tilt of the gangs.
mhankins View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhankins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 9:08am
Aaron,I couldn't see the image.
 Do I have to sign up for free server to see it?
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 9:03pm
If set it TB mode,it will lift and drop but there is no hold. To keep implement up,you have to run the lever all the way up
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 7:52am
Originally posted by mhankins mhankins wrote:

Aaron,I couldn't see the image.
 Do I have to sign up for free server to see it?

Here is the image from Duey's page. http://dueyschutter.freeservers.com/cgi-bin/i/images/1_hydraulic_pump_settings.jpg
Here is 'page one' and the hydraulics info is at the bottom of this page.
http://dueyschutter.freeservers.com/photo3.html
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
mhankins View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhankins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 8:57am
CTucker, Thanks for that.
 It pretty much explains the settings,except for the part "C" in the illustration.
 It appears that it is backed all the way out on mine.
mhankins View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhankins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 9:07am
I would like to thank you all for the help.
 After a couple of small strokes,my comprehension level is not what it used to be.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 11:44am
Please remember that you are dealing with an over 60 year old tractor.  
When we sold them new they worked fine.  Allowed the WD - WD45 and CA to easily plow well.  When working it allowed weight to be transferred from the plow to the rear wheels.  In fact, when we were operating against Ford, Ford Ferguson, or Massey Ferguson I always challenged the the driver to "drive with both hands on the steering wheel".  They had a traction booster but had to do in manually by pulling up on their lift or draft controls to do what the Allis did automatically.  Got a lot of sales that way.
Remember you have an older unit.  The springs may be well worn and the linkage to the drawbar area may be damaged or lost.  
Let us know how it goes.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 7:55pm
None of mine ever worked, PITA fighting them on the tiller or the mower, NO amount of screwing this in screwing that out even makes a hint of difference. I was trying to figure a way to get rid of it and go direct,---I don't need that crap on mine,---wouldn't use it IF it did work!--I just need up hold down like normal hyd. works!

Edited by ac fleet - 25 Mar 2020 at 7:56pm
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 6:49am
If you go by the book with adjusting linkage and as long as there are no stuck spools the pump works just fine. My WD didn't work right but after making the correct adjustments it worked good and later when an internal spring broke and stuck a spool I just removed the pump, cleaned it up, tore it down in a clean pan of diesel, bought all new springs and put it together exactly how it came apart. It worked great.

When I say exactly, I mean every part went back exactly where it came from, no mixing of spools or any other part because each spool is fitted and honed from the factory for its spot and can't be mixed up without risking sticking again. It's not as bad to do as a person thinks either.

Edited by Lonn - 26 Mar 2020 at 6:50am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
mhankins View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhankins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:06am
It appears that mine is missing the linkage to the draw bar,but it has a home made 3pt,and looks like a lot of cobbling underneath,so I guess it is going to be a 4000lb. lawnmower.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:57am
It's easy to find parts for a WD
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic