This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil stocks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil stocks
    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 10:07am

Any one ever buy oil stock???   Don't know anything bout stock market but seems like now would be a good time to buy.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 11:05am
Well,.....kind of!  I bought a Vanguard energy fund.  That way, you don't have to pick a winner amongst oil stocks, but invest in the sector.  I did this in Feb of 2016, inspired by my trip through town, thinking "Gas prices are pretty darn cheap, can't go much lower."  And with some patience, yes I did make money.  The symbol for the fund is VDE.

*edit*WOW!  I just looked at the chart for VDE.  I'd buy it right now if I had some moola to have a little fun with.  That's just me, and the financial advice is worth what you paid for it.Wink

Edited by Tbone95 - 17 Mar 2020 at 11:07am
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 11:47am
no money here to do stocks.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:30pm
I feel that the stock market is a good way to lose year cash, but hit the right one you can make a great deal of money. It take nerves of steel to play the market. To each his own.     Leon
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 1:39pm
Seems the energy sector is in flux now but every stock is , with travel down , airlines cutting back , Russian and Saudi fued , cut back in Canadian Oil , and with the pipeline questions in Canada and US - 
 If a person can buy and hold there will be recovery but short term your may take a beating unless your in it long term. Single stocks or buying into exploration flyers I think i would stay away from oil. It seems Natural Gas is also in flux . 
 Overall looking out say 5 years you should get a return but how big is the question . With 0% fed rate what is paying anything now ?
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 5:52pm
It rides a roller coaster as in up and down. You should never play if you will only be in it a few years but if you leave it alone it will always make money over the long run. Now is the time to buy if you are going to get in.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 6:56pm
I got out of school in 1976. Started a job and they had a 401K savings plan in the stock market... Market was about 800 DOW at that time.... in 2016 it was 17,000 ....... a month ago it was 29,000 .  today it is 23,000....... Like STAN said, you ALWAYS make money if you play the LONG RUN... If you jump in and out everytime someone takes a crap, you will not do so good... Better to stay out.... I am in several "funds" as Tbone said... You might be in  "RETAIL" where they buy 10% of WalMart, 10% of Target, 10% of Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc........... that is normally playing it safe as compared to ONE stock.... there is "AUTO"... "ENERGY".. etc
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 5:45am
Heard a conspiracy theory from one of my smarter patients yesterday. If someone shorted the market after 12 February, they would have made an obscene amount of money. Not saying someone started this mess, but if someone helped it along.......
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 10:29am
Originally posted by dr p dr p wrote:

Heard a conspiracy theory from one of my smarter patients yesterday. If someone shorted the market after 12 February, they would have made an obscene amount of money. Not saying someone started this mess, but if someone helped it along.......
Oh heck yeah!  Bin Laden shorted airline stocks before 9/11.  If only one had a crystal ball!.....
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Well,.....kind of!  I bought a Vanguard energy fund.  That way, you don't have to pick a winner amongst oil stocks, but invest in the sector.  I did this in Feb of 2016, inspired by my trip through town, thinking "Gas prices are pretty darn cheap, can't go much lower."  And with some patience, yes I did make money.  The symbol for the fund is VDE.

*edit*WOW!  I just looked at the chart for VDE.  I'd buy it right now if I had some moola to have a little fun with.  That's just me, and the financial advice is worth what you paid for it.Wink

With my little bit of research they keep trying to steer me towards the energy sector away from the actual oil stock.

Thanks Tbone and others.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 2:18pm
YEP......... thats a better bet Never Green... a little more DIVERSIFIED, but still in oil / energy.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 3:32pm
With the election coming things might change for the good - OR BAD 
Seems Dems are against fracking, mining, oil shale , pipelines and so many other areas that created a rise in stock it's hard to predict what the markets will do , then the other day a recovery of over 1,000 on Dow to be wiped out completely today by speculation, there is a gamble to everything 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
caylalalanne View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caylalalanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 11:26am
Tbh, I’ve never thought of oil stocks. You made me think of it. Actually, I have some stocks though I’m a fan of cryptocurrency. I’ve been a trader for more than 8 years. I still remember how I installed my first metatrader 4 setup exe. So, that’s how I make money for a living. And, you know, I’ve invested in 3 startups, cryptocurrencies, and real estate, but I’ve never thought of oil stocks yet. Is it actually reasonable? I hope it’s so. Waiting for your replies. Keep the topic updated, guys. Best wishes.

Edited by caylalalanne - 25 Aug 2022 at 7:12am
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 12:39pm
Wife and I, have bought silver. Gold is way over valued.
In the coming years, silver will be more utilitarian than gold.
We actually bought, and have possession of the actual bars, not any of those ‘certificates’ on paper claiming you own X amount of silver.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 1:07pm
It's hard to estimate the impact of the battery component on vehicles will be.  Fortunately, it will be a gradual thing so utilities, oil, coal & railroads will be around for a long time.  Hang on for the ride and don't count out dividends.  Funds may be the best bet if you don't want to make those decisions yourself.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 2:38pm
2 1/2 year old post brought to the forefront by a guy with 1 post!  

***But since we're talking about it, I more than doubled my money on VDE that I purchased in April 2020.  If I knew Putthead was going to invade Ukraine, I could have tripled my money.  No insider info for me, I sold in January this year!!!

Edited by Tbone95 - 23 Aug 2022 at 2:44pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 3:44pm
The DOW was 800 points 40 years ago.... Recently it was 32,000 points  ...... so basically if you had invested   $ 800. in 1980, you would have about $ 32,000 today ..... of course that took 40 years of UP and DOWN to do that...  To "INVEST" you have to be in for the long run... Short run you can double your money ( as Tbone said) or loose 50% of it..... BUTT in the LONG RUN, it goes up..
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 3:50pm
Here is a curve that shows if you got in the market in 2000 ... You made NOTHING for the next 10 years..( housing bubble / auto crash 2008)... But if you got in the market in  2010 and waited 10 years, you made a bundle...... Thats the "LONG TERM"........

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 11:37am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

The DOW was 800 points 40 years ago.... Recently it was 32,000 points  ...... so basically if you had invested   $ 800. in 1980, you would have about $ 32,000 today ..... of course that took 40 years of UP and DOWN to do that...  To "INVEST" you have to be in for the long run... Short run you can double your money ( as Tbone said) or loose 50% of it..... BUTT in the LONG RUN, it goes up..

Good advice in general, but always exceptions.Wink

Local family helped start a rural phone company 1920 ish. As well as kept the farm going. Profits where invested in utility stocks mostly. The next generation followed the same philosophy. Buying a few oddball things like into natural gas pipelines start ups in the 50's or 60's. All of a sudden it was part of Enron valve went up like crazy.  He was in his 80's liked the bottom line of his net worth but he never changed his old penny pinching ways. Poof before his son was able to talk to him it was all gone.

Not all that much money in some ways Cry but a lot in other ways. So what works 99% of the time still has that 1%.  The reason I am cash poor. Other than seeds I put in the ground never put much money at risk. So now the few dollars in the bank is losing valve.
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 2:42pm
lot more to playing the stock market then playing unresearched hunches!   last guy i knew that never played the stock market game but had a hunch on energy stocks lost $250,000 the first month.   he had the bucks but it's still a sore subject with him!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 3:40pm
YEP... not a good plan to invest in ONE STOCK... Like everything, DIVERSITY is the name of the game....Like Tbone said, you would normally go to FIDELITY or VANGUARD or KEMPER and invest in a "FUND"... It could be RETAIL, ENERGY, AUTO... etc... If you are in the RETAIL Fund, there is a Manager who might invest 10% in Wal mart, 10% in Home Depot, 10% in COSCO, 10% in xxx.........  etc...One might have a bad year, but "in general" most will have a return on investment year after year..... Taking $250,000 and investing in ONE STOCK is a risky business at best..

Pick 3-4 DIFFERENT FUNDS  ( Retail, Communications, Auto, Transportation) and put a portion of your money in EACH... And then each of them covers a dozen different company stocks..... and most of these FUNDS have a Manager would keeps track of the "good" stocks and invests in them.... and he gets a few bucks out of the deal.
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 4:59pm
In the stock market you are the last person to make money if any is to be had
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
CraigZmeyka View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigZmeyka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 12:22pm
Oil can be a good asset to buy, and I would say it’s one of the most reliable. Steve is right about making money in the long run. You have to be perseverant in what you do, and then money will come.
You can learn from professionals if you’re still unsure what you want to invest in. There are social media platforms specially designed for traders, and you can learn there from more experienced investors and traders. There’s a good article about it on www.doughroller.net. While you are a beginner, you can learn from those people and then continue your journey alone.

Edited by CraigZmeyka - 28 Sep 2022 at 10:39am
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 7:17pm
I like to value cost average. Make a little money sell some to lock in some profit. I miss some of the fluctuation that way
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 1:18am
I wish I hadn't sold my 200 shares of Apple in the early 2000's, made $30 bucks a share off it but now would have been worth $851,000!  I guess I better keep on farming...
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 7:36am
John, that sounds like my AGCO stock, bought it for $4 and sold at $9, I thought I was a stock genius, but now the last time I looked it was north of $100 and they were paying dividends!  I guess I'll keep on farming with AGCO equipment.LOL
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic