This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sherman for WC variations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenOrange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sherman for WC variations
    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 11:01am
I've got a Sherman step-up for a WC, but it's a little different than the other few I've seen. This one has a shifting selector on it, for straight, neutral, and step-up. I'm sure some of you are familiar with it. Is this an earlier or later version of the Sherman, or some other type of variation? It's appears this is not a modification, as the casting looks made for this. How many variations are out there? Here are some photos:

Edited by GreenOrange - 23 Feb 2020 at 11:02am
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 5:31pm
There were TWO over-drive/under-drive units that were built back in that day. Sherman and HEISLER. I don't know the difference between the two, but there were two brands made for WC's.  There's also a chance that you have a later model of a unit that was changed from the earlier models. They made them for many years and maybe they felt the need for an anti-jump out device.
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 8:49pm
That's the same unit I have in my 1938 "WC". That tractor was bought new by my great-grandfather. My grandfather is the one that added the overdrive unit as he did custom combining and baling.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 11:29pm
I seen a unit that had 4 clicks instead of 3 clicks, tractor was in a small salvage yard and I thought that I would go back and deal with the fellow, but the next time thru, the old tractor was gone... to scrap. So I never got to see why it was different in the 4 positions. never seen one since either. Dad was with and he even was surprised at it. We had a styled WC with the overdrive in it and it could move... But sadly, dad traded it for a WD.

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 6:09pm
Looks like the one in my styled WC.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
GreenOrange View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenOrange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 10:44pm
Thanks guys. I wasn't aware 2 companies made them either - I've never seen any paperwork on the Heisler brand. I'm thinking this is a Sherman, but there's no tags or name on it that I can find; only some numbers on it.
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 4:29am
What in the picture is a Sherman.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 10:14am
Never seen any with a shift lock. JC's 4 position sounds interesting. Maybe a high, normal, neutral, and low? Maybe a 12 speed?   
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic