This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slick Roads and Work Travel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slick Roads and Work Travel
    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 9:14am
How much precedence do you put on getting there knowing you could end up in a ditch
or getting wiped out or injured by someone that doesn't think slick roads apply to them?

I have been driving that same route for about 30 years now. Know every potential bad stop there is. 35 miles one way.
When I was, younger balls to the wall didn't care if it took 3 hours..and it has several times.
Now not so much.
Employer knows the situation and he knows I will make an effort but I'm not putting my hide on the line just for a day's work. I've seen and heard of many fatalities in these cases just to put in a day's work. 3 in the last 2 weeks within 5 miles of me.

The last one was grandpa taking his 14 year old grandson to school in a neighboring town. 20 mile distance. It was slick, SUV slide and crossed the center line and hit them head on. Killed them both. Happened at about 6:45 am. School starts at 7:30.

I will usually give it 15 miles to see how things are. 10 miles to the Interstate.
Where do you draw the line at?

Sponsored Links

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 9:46am
I drive as little as possible period, and always leave for my destination early. Some how I learned, never enough time to get there but always time to die. Yep a far cry from my 20's. I cancel out a lot now a days as we have a lot of slippery weather in the winter. I'm also retired so that really helps.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 9:57am
If the roads icy or miserable, I don't go, plain and simple,life is too short !!
If the boss is upset, tell him to swing by , pick you up, and drive you to the jobsite !!!

I'll lay odds he won't show up !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 9:58am
This is a BIG peeve of mine! Work for me is a 31.4 mile drive, this time of year the roads are a mess quite often.Thanks to the draconian attendance policy of my employer and my hatred of wasting vacation time, I generally brave it. I do think about it and how stupid it would be to die for one days pay. Really wish these places 'got' that!
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 10:16am
When I was a surveyor, the drive to work and back home wasn't the main threat... it was driving to and from the jobsite(s), and having to deal with traffic if we had highway work to do. We generally avoided any roadway work when there was snow/ice, but even (maybe especially?) in great weather, drivers were the main threat for hazardous conditions.
For us, general rule of thumb was snowfall RATE (over 2"/hour, stay put) or temperature (25 below zero was the "no-go" threshold, that was for whichever was worse, actual temps or windchill). Unfortunately, many times the conditions at the office were rarely representative of the field conditions at the jobsite; the office was in the city and was ALWAYS the better place to be lol. But it worked out ok, there was always plenty of records and research work to be done along with the field work.
But no, there was never a policy for "too bad to come in to work." Mainly it was just about going into the field or not.

Edited by TimCNY - 14 Feb 2020 at 10:18am
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 10:35am
IF it's that bad----I don't go.  --- canceled doc's appointments a few times due to bad roads! ---I got 4-wd, so I am not worried bout me --Its all the idiots on the road that bothers me!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 10:52am
Tim, I worked for a surveyor for a short time, (my uncle) he blew out a knee, needed help. This started in December, lasted through March. I learned a ton. Like you say, trying to get a 'shot' on a monument in a busy highway is a little hairy. Also learned that when it's 0 degrees, a gravel road is effectively concrete! Thankfully he had a small jackhammer to get those monuments recovered.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 11:28am
It is a little more likely to happen on slick roads.  But I suppose you have those same idiots out there on the roads all year long.  Especially now with the "gotta TEXT" people out there trying to get killed, and kill.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 11:36am
I agree with ya Sonny, just not worth the bother, and it IS the IDIOTS on the road.
I used to wish I could have a 3 to 5 ton truck, 4wd, with pipe welded all the way around.  I'd have a ball till they caught up with me.
The problem with all these SUV's and the people driving them now a days is that yeah, you can go better than with 2wd, but you still CAN'T STOP any better.  They don't think of that.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 12:00pm
Wifes factory job has a very good perfect attendance bonus and banquet with prize. It really encourages people to show up for work but it puts you in a tight spot when the road conditions are bad, they do have a few personal days they can use but you always like to keep them in the bank for a REAL emergency. We live less then 10 miles from her job and she goes to work at 4:30 am so if the roads are bad I get up and take her with the 4wd pickup even if I have to drive 25 or 30mph the whole way  at least I know shes safe. The other day I took her to work with her car the road was plowed but snow packed and slippery I was driving over 50mph and had 2 people pass going 60. 

Edited by DanWi - 14 Feb 2020 at 12:02pm
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 12:15pm
Another VERY important but too often overlooked matter is SNOW TIRES. The WORST brand of snow tire still beats the BEST "all-season." And frankly, all 4 (or however many tires on your vehicle) tires should be snows.
Another point, and this is from every tire dealer I know: New tires/best tread tires - GO ON THE REAR, regardless if 2WD, 4WD, front wheel, rear wheel, doesn't matter, BECAUSE it's the rear-end of the car needing the better traction to help prevent the rear from swinging out on curves. No matter the season. But especially in winter, I'd say. Getting going is one thing, keeping control is quite another.
Yes, so very much more and not possible to cover it all but we're trying, aren't we!
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 12:24pm
WinkThankfully no snow generally LOL but at 20 degrees you can get black ice. And the most rude drivers in the world. Any time of the day some idiot on their phone, or making up time on the road cause they started late.  
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 12:32pm
Had a boss back in the day wanted us to come in no matter how bad it was. One time it took 2 hours to get to work, normally 15 minutes. Did not get paid for that time .Shop was behind his house so he didn't have to commute. When finally at work he says too dangerous to take the work van out . Clean the side walks and driveway until the streets are clear . Why did I risk an accident coming in for this. Next time I stayed home until the roads were passable. Boss called complaining, Come get me was my answer,,,,
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 12:33pm
re: ...And the most rude drivers in the world

NO !! They're all here in Ontario around Hamilton , especially the 'big rig boys'. Google 'Burlington Skyway Bridge accident'.....you'll see what I mean.

fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 1:18pm
Part of how I judge road conditions is how many are in the median or off the embankment.
Part of my drive is 20 miles of I-35 through 3 counties and all rural except for the last couple. My highest ditch count was 37 in that 20 miles..

Have had a couple of times there would be a pileup on down the road, at a stand still with ice on the road and just slide off onto the shoulder and not even moving..just sideways.
I found an app on my phone that it is pretty accurate for road conditions.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

Tim, I worked for a surveyor for a short time, (my uncle) he blew out a knee, needed help. This started in December, lasted through March. I learned a ton. Like you say, trying to get a 'shot' on a monument in a busy highway is a little hairy. Also learned that when it's 0 degrees, a gravel road is effectively concrete! Thankfully he had a small jackhammer to get those monuments recovered.
Man, I know an awesome surveying joke, but it's gotta be told in person!Wink
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 1:31pm
"I need the hammer" one?
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 1:37pm
Thumbs Up
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 1:38pm
I live 20 miles from work. I'm part time contractor and mission essentials on the Air Force base. They will close the base when the state closes the roads. Happens a couple times every winter. Otherwise I have to show up. Our project manager under stands roads to bad to get to work and says call in if you can't make it. I can usually make it before he does any way. If the weather turns bad fast I've just stayed at work instead of going home at midnight in a blizzard just call home and tell my wife I won't be home tonight. We've got 3 couches in the break room that aren't to bad to sleep on. I have several meals of easily made stuff at work. When I've been snowed in I just pull my car into the hanger and wait it out. Usually the base gives an hour or so notice before it's going to close once it's closed they won't let you leave. After the state closes the road it's gated and a $400 fine for driving on a closed road.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 2:13pm
Ted J 
They Don't Think. Some can't see past their front bumpers
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 4:07pm
well, most of my life I works in the clinical lab maintenance world, hospital lab equipment. Not an emergency, but still several notches up from routine, and we covered an area roughly 200 by 200 miles. In a few cases it was a financial obligation, the company sold guaranteed service contract, and those usually went to the rural/remote customer(s) because they didn't have backup systems, like the larger hospitals. So, most of my life I went, weather or not (pun intended)

but, to be fair, I was young and invincible! I carried lots of extra cloths, blankets, and some food in the car all winter. I looked at it as an adventure
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 4:30pm
Tim is 100% right about snow tires. I just put new ones on the front of wife's van and grandsons ferd. Put new all seasons on the rear. I won't let her drive in the winter without snow tires on. It is amazing how much better they go with snow tires on the front of a FWD vehical.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 4:59pm
Please consider snows on the rear as well, like I said the tire guys say "best tires on the rear," because on a curve (or even sudden stops) on wet/snow/icy roads, it's the back end that wants to swing out and cause skids/loss of control. IT MAKES AS MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE as snows over all-seasons, believe me! But VERY glad you went to snows.
All-seasons are at best a compromise, and are not as good as a snow in winter or a true "summer" tire in, well, the summer. And I've done the math, at least for us, and in the end it's NOT more expensive to have 2 sets of tires; one bad accident alone because of inadequate tires in the winter time far more than offsets the savings of NOT having snows. My two cents, but those are priceless pennies.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 6:29am
I weigh it out against 1 days pay.
We don’t get much snow but what we get is wet heavy icy snow. The first tracks in it make pure ice. When I leave my house I have a 6% grade in either direction right from the begining. Our roads are steep hilly and very crooked.
What I’ve noticed is that the boss will call and say it’s not bad here. He’ll have to stay home with a sick kid but it’s ok for us lowly’s to go in. If you call him on it he’ll say it wasn’t that bad earlier.
I outgrew proving things years ago.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 7:16am
Up here, 'they' want everyone to have 2 sets of tires, though with the 100s of tons of salt  THEY put onto the roads, I have to ask 'why' ? Great money making scam... 8 tires and rims, off season storage is usually $100...per season ( TWO seasons !!),so $200 AND $26 to the guv...
Frankly, if you can't drive  a full size 2WD pickup here in Ontario, you should NOT be on the road...it'd be nice if driving tests were done in Winter,99% of cars would be gone !
That being said, there are 2 things you should not 'cheap out' on vehicles.
1) tires.
2) brakes.
As was pointed out by an F1 fan-atic... there ain't a whole lot of brake pads  between you and the road and even less rubber ! Buy the best you can, forgo the $$ stereo KRAP.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 7:18am
Retired now, used to drive 50+ miles one way to the Nuke Plant rain shine snow ice made no difference as we were expected to be there and On Time for 18 of my 22 years there. Actually would take a old RV Camper and set up in a lot to stay in should weather go to Hecky durn, made a lot of difference in no discipline for my records as had guys within 10 miles 'Cannot get in today' calls.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 9:01am
A Weathertech floor liner commercial comes to mind the mother gets a message on her phone, no school today, so she hollers to the children get ready and get in the suv we are going sledding. If they had to cancel school should she be out driving with the children in her suv?
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 9:57am
And you have to remember, SUV  means "Suddenly Upset Vehicle"  at least that seems to be around here.  Most rolled over in ditch are always SUV!!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 11:34am
My main car is a 98 Explorer, full time 4-wheel drive, and I have never had any problems with driving on slick roads in it. The worst thing is the side winds!--Now they will get ya in a heartbeat! lol! When I get in side winds, I slow way down and feel my way along! Thats what puts suv's upside down in the median!
The best thing on ice/snow that I ever drove was my old 94 Kenworth W-900!--- lock the power divider in and go ---or woah, whichever you needed! Put a million miles on that old truck! still miss it!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

Ted J 
They Don't Think. Some can't see past their front bumpers
That is no lie!  You almost get run over and they say "I didn't see you".  They can't think and drive at the same time...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic