This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'ma borry'in,,,,,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'ma borry'in,,,,,,,,
    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 1:32am

Well,,,I'm slowly but surely gettin some things done on the rebuilding of the 454 engine for the 82 "Black Beauty" Silverado I been workin on,,,,,Wink
 I was not goin to replace the cam bearings as the PO told me the engine had  always carried 35# oil pressure, but since I'm doin everything else seems like,,,,I went ahead and ordered new cam bearings. Well, as luck would have it,,the only'ist shop that used to do that kind of work,,,closed up 3-4 months ago,,,CHIT,,,!! I did not really want to pull this HEAVY Assed engine out of the engine stand and haul it to Roswell,,cause it gonna take dang near TWO acts of congress (ya'll know long how ole Schiff likes to talk) to just get it to my trk. Well..I called Autozone and Oreillys and neither has a "loaner"  Camshaft Bearing install tool,,but are glad to SELL me a new one for $165,,,,,,WTF,,,???? Now,,I do not mind buying tools that I might accidently use more that once,,but I do not plan to work on another BBC,,,SO havin said these few words,,,Does anybody have one for a BBC I can borrow,,,and,,,,and,,,I PROMISE to return if unscathed along with some of my prized Black Label,,,altho,,if the B.L. is a deal breaker,,,I might throw in some Ripple,,,,,,,Yummy,,,,,Anybody,,,??
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 2:38am
go ahead and buy one ya old tightwad! after yer done with it, put it on Ebay! whew!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 3:59am

Yeah,,Shameless,,,but  thet kinda chit ain't worth what you give for it second hand,,,,!! They just ain't much call for that tool is why I'm wantin to borry one,,,,Clap
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 5:16am
You can get one for 50 bucks on eBay. Or 60 to 80 dollars from Amazon. I don't have one or I loan it out but it would cost 30 just to ship it back and forth any way.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 5:46am
Make yourself one with a big piece of allthread a couple nuts and some flat washers. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 6:13am
Around here the O'Reilly stores "loan" tools by selling it to you then we can return for full refund.
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 7:09am
Look around you neck of the woods for the dirt racing guys they blow them up so much they got tools to rebuild may even get some go fast goodies
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 7:23am
I just saw a cheap universal set on eBay for $56.00 that would do more than just BBC. Also there are several vids on YouTube on home brew cam bearing tools but you have to have a lathe to build. If I were to consider buying one I’d make sure it was universal and covered most popular motors.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 7:28am
I bought a universal type several years ago. Used it twice.
You can rig something together just take longer.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 12:22pm
I gots one of them universal types... I'd sure loan it to ya,,
If I would have known ya needed one, back after turkey day I took a load to Hobbs/Monument,,, I sure could have brought it down..

side note,, I learned a trick from the Y-block Ford crowd, Install the front cam bearing from the rear, this keeps it from going in a little crooked...
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 11:27pm
Now c'mon Michael, what's a little road trip....and with some BL on the other end!!  AND MAYBE some smoked brisket??
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 6:26am

Well,,Guys,,I'm thankin ya'll for helpi me get me back to my good old frugal ways,,,,,
""I'm Gonna Make My Own""!!! I done like ole Thad said  and checked out the YouTube videos,,,,and,,,,and,,they's several dudes on there JUST like ole Joe that ain't gonna spend NO money ,,,,unless they gots to,,,,This one dude cut the center portion of the old cam gear, also cut the first lobe off the old cam,,,"ground" em both down with a grinder to bolt em together and he now has a "pusher" and a "center'er" usin the parts that was there to start with,,,,!!!Clap Chit,,I just love American enginuity,,,don't ya'l just LOVE American enginuityl,,,?????
Well,,I ain't gonna copy him word for word,,,cause I'm a bit lazy,,,,I'm gonna use my trusty lathe and machine the pieces to make em look like a Factory tool,,,,,THEN,,,I can loan it out to whoever,,,!!!!ClapClap Fact is,,,I'm havin so much fun on my lathe,,,,I'm even fixin to machine one for a SBC,,,usin the flat cam off the 305 that started this whole thing,,,,,what irony,,huh,,,???,Wink
 Chit,,,if ole Shameless wlould send me back just one of  all them flip fones I sent him,,, maybe,,I could get IT to send pics to my PC,,,,,
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 7:05am
You gotta do whatever it takes to get the job done! I'm happy for you to be saving money and enjoying yourself while doing so! Darrel
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 9:06am

Well,Darrel,,it good to finally hear from you,,,,,Clap   We ain't heard from you for so long,,,,,was you been diggin out of all that snow your "Buddy" sent you,,,,  The wife's kin has been tellin us they been snowmobillin night and day,,,,,Wink
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 7:38pm
Well Joe, my farming operation has been dwindling as the big guys snarf everything up. So mostly have a cattle operation left that my son is pretty much running, and I've been running all over tarnation with my delivery job that I took on. So my time here on the forum is a little less frequent. I do check in on ya all at least once a day though; just don't post a lot. Ole Shameless hasn't buried me too deep yet this winter, but don't have to travel too far to find a lot of snow. Darrel
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 10:37pm
shucks Darrel...I didn't know you was missing the "pretty"! if I gits off/out of my Lazy Boy recliner, i'll go out and program your area in! Joe...you should have just bought the GOOD 454 I have here! could have put it on the same trailer as the Chevy Allis!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 2:38am
  Of Course,,,NOW,,you tell me,,,,after I done spent what precious little money I had left over after payin all these bills and then havin to buy them dang Ford parts,,,,,Wink
 SAY,,,,,!! I gots a Great idea,,,,you just hang onto thet 454 cause soons I get all squared away heremaybe,,,,,maybe,,I could shoehorn thet Bad Boy into the Ranger I picked up some time back,,,,,WinkClap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic