This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 Cam bearing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 Cam bearing
    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 4:21pm
Does anyone know if the cam bearings can be replaced on a D17 gas
without pulling the head off? I've got the oil pan off and the crank out.
Wondering if I only need to pull the valve cover.
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 5:23pm
Djake,
The engne is out on a stand upside down? I would think that the cam bearings could be changed with out removing the head. Remove rocker arm, and remove push rods. Then rotate the engine upside down so the tappets are down, Timing cover off. should be able to pull cam. then bearings. But I have never done this and folks like Mack, Dr Allis and Don(MO) would have better details. you might need to change the welsh plug at the back of the block for the cam. I had my machine shop install my cam bearings as the block was being worked on.
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:09pm
Yes, remove cam, cam followers, and rear plug. Have a good bearing driver that fits bearings and start them in straight.    MACK
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 8:52am
Originally posted by djake djake wrote:

Does anyone know if the cam bearings can be replaced on a D17 gas
without pulling the head off? I've got the oil pan off and the crank out.
Wondering if I only need to pull the valve cover.
If the block is in the upright position, you have to pull the push rods and get the lifts up, and held up, in order to remove and replace the cam. So, the valve cover and rocker arms should come off.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 9:03am
djake,
 Here is that big welsh plug at the back of the block, covering the rear cam bearing, Important not to block the oil hole in the block when installing this back bearing:

Cam out would look something like this:

cam installed:

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the oil pump needs to be pulled. It is drive off the cam. Good time to service the oil pump too. Service manual describes the inspection of the oil pump. I made the mistake of not doing this and I pulled the engine again to tune it up. 

Timing cover aligned and new crank seal installed:

Question for MACK. Are the cam followers you mention, what I called tappets which I should have called lifters? 

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 9:31pm
Lifters, cam followers are same thing. I would call the adjustable rocker arms the tappets.      MACK
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 10:58am
Yes my mistake. Thanks MACK!
Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic