This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford 6.8 V10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford 6.8 V10
    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 11:05pm
I just read Ford deep sixed the 6.8 V10 and replaced it with 7.3 pushrod motor!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 11:10pm
around here if you try to trade something in with a V10, they might give you a dollar allowance for it.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 11:15pm
Got one in my F350 dually...
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 12:13am
Ya I've got a bus with the v10 in it. Its one of the biggest hunks of cast iron I've ever owned. Would not start all last winter.   I now have a buyer wanting it. I hope he takes it.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 1:08am
well, over the last 18 years, I've owned two PUs both with V10's and I had nothing but good service with them, except I learned to carry an extra coil/boot with me. I never even had the spark plug issues others have had, but, I was the second owner with each truck, so maybe those issues were resolved by the previous owner
I just bought a 2005 F250, with the 5.4. what a dog! has less power, and uses more gas! when I am pulling a trailer, its screaming.
Wait for the Lord;
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 9:06am
Don't get me wrong, I like the V10, mileage is in the toilet BUT whether max loaded or empty, uphill or downhill or on the flats, city or highway, NOTHING seems to affect the fuel economy a whit. But put it in 4WD, and - cut almost in half. Half of single numbers is pretty poor mpg's! But it pulls like nothing else.

DITTO ON HAVING A SPARE COIL PACK!!! All 10 recently replaced, and after #10 cylinder (last one) was replaced, blew out the spark plug. Stranded at a little convenience store waiting for a tow in the worst whiteout snowstorm so far this winter. I went in for a cup of coffee and was surprised to see a friend of mine in there having lunch, he's a FedEx driver. I was even more surprised to see he was laughing, then asked me, "That YOU makin all that noise out there?" I said yes, but before I could say anything else he said, "I'm gonna say Ford Triton V10. In the past 10 years I've had 3 of them and every single one of them eventually blew the plug from number ten cylinder. Sound about right?"

Anyways, they had to flatbed it back to their shop, repaired it, with no guarantees. While waiting, I googled "Triton V10," holy shkamolie did I get an education! Instead of putting out a TSB about the problem, Ford shoulda done a recall.
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 9:18am
The 6.8 V10 was a 5.4 V8 with two more cylinders... The 5.4 has been dropped and the F150 size trucks use the 5.0 , 3.5 turbo, or the 6.2 V8 motor ........... I would guess FORD phased out the remainder of the 5.4 "parts" .. (the 6.8 V10 ) ... and is going with a new motor.... and yes, I did read it will be a VERY SIMPLE design as compared to the later 5.4 with the variable cam timing, and a zillion parts..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 9:35am
Never did think v-10 in anything would work. Cousin has a Dodge v-10 and gets 3 mph, thinks its the greatest thing on the planet! ---However,-- nothing is worse than the junk 7.3 diesel they stuck in trucks. --Don't know why Ford is still in business, considering all the junk they sold over the years!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 9:42am
FORD sells more trucks than ANYONE... There is a reason for that... Every company has their problems and they work thru it... You just named  a Dodge problem... And I guess you never saw a Chebby rusted out after 5 years or their motor with no cam lobes ?
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 10:43am
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

I think it’s purely a marketing ploy. I have had several customers call me and very excited that Ford is bringing back the 7.3 when I explain its gas they are very disappointed. If I remember they cut the V-10 and the 6.2 and replaced with 7.3. I am waiting for calls of someone putting diesel in a new 7.3 lol
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Red Bank Red Bank wrote:

Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

I think it’s purely a marketing ploy. I have had several customers call me and very excited that Ford is bringing back the 7.3 when I explain its gas they are very disappointed. If I remember they cut the V-10 and the 6.2 and replaced with 7.3. I am waiting for calls of someone putting diesel in a new 7.3 lol

The 6.2 is still being sold, at least in the 250/350 trucks. I had a different take on the 7.3 gas. With the bat rep the 7.3 diesel has, I think Ford would have been better served labeling the 7.3 gas 7.2, or 7.4.
Wait for the Lord;
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 12:32pm

FORD 7.3 L GAS V8--

Earlier this year, Ford introduced an all-new engine option for the revamped 2020 Super Duty family of trucks. During the 2019 Chicago Auto Show, the Blue Oval was not ready to disclose the output numbers for the unit but now we finally have them. And they are good.

The 7.3-liter V8 gasoline motor produces up to 430 horsepower (320 kilowatts) at 5,500 rpm and “best-in-class” torque of 475 pound-feet (644 Newton-meters) available at 4,000 rpm. Featuring a proved overhead-valve architecture, the new V8 also uses a variable-displacement oil pump, extra-large main bearings, forged steel crankshaft, and piston cooling jets for better temperature management under heavy load.

In fact, the new engine will be available in two power output versions. The less powerful one has 350 hp (261 kW) and 468 lb-ft (635 Nm) of torque and will be standard on F-450 chassis cab, F-550, the new F-600, F-650, and F-750 Medium Duty trucks, as well as the F-53 and F-59 stripped chassis models and the upgraded E-Series. The 450-hp variant, in turn, will be available in the F-250 and F-350 trucks, joining the already offered 6.2-liter V8 and 6.7-liter V8 diesel

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 Jan 2020 at 12:34pm
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 4:56pm
I had three F450 dually service trucks with the V10 gasser.  They did miss... sometimes more than others.  I could HEAR the bad coil pack on a 'dead air' spot on the AM radio, but the dealership would frequently refuse to change anything 'because it's not throwing a trouble code'... when I could put my hand in front of the tailpipe and FEEL it missing. 

That being said, we had NO stranding engine failures of any of our 17 V10 Gas F450s.  We had one transmission failure, and plenty of plugs and coils, but no engine fails.    With our big service bodies, and ladders on racks on the roof, we averaged 5.6mpg across all those 17 trucks, and two million miles.  Our prior trucks were identical, but with the diesel series.  We averaged 6.3, with the exact same service bodies, ladders, etc., attached.

We went gas because the advantage of diesel was not commensurate with the added cost of operation AND... the engine failure downtime.

(yawn)  438ci, and 475 ft-lbs at 4000rpm...  it's nice that it develops all that torque, but what's it generating down at 2200? 2800?  3200?

My current F250 has the 6.4 V8, and it's horsepower ratings are something like 385hp, with 430ft-lbs at 3800.

Having the torque peak way up by redline makes for nice peak horsepower numbers, but it isn't worth crap at anything other than full-throttle accelleration.  When driving on the highway with a trailer, the engine is turning 2600rpm, having gobs of torque at 4k means you step on the pedal, wait a few seconds for the computer to figure out what gear it wants, and then you're out of RPM and shifting already.  Having the torque fat-and-flat makes for a much more effective platform.

I'm really baffled by the engineering concepts applied to powertrain... all the technology and complexity wasted.  I have a late '80's Chevy P30 bread van with a '76 Buick 455... it weighs exactly the same as my F250, but only has a 3-speed automatic, and same final drive ratio.  The bread truck is more responsive in traffic, holds it's speed, and climbs better than the newer challenger, and that can be attributed to putting down over 500ft-lbs from 2300 to 4200... with a quadrajet... and it gets better fuel economy than my service truck.

Apparently, the lessons learned long ago, were lost, and the prevailing solution is to 'throw technology at it'.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
200 10and20 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

Never did think v-10 in anything would work. Cousin has a Dodge v-10 and gets 3 mph, thinks its the greatest thing on the planet! ---However,-- nothing is worse than the junk 7.3 diesel they stuck in trucks. --Don't know why Ford is still in business, considering all the junk they sold over the years!
I hate to tell you there are still hundreds of thousands of 7.3s still running today. It was a very dependable engine. What do you drive? A Chevy with a Isuzu engine in it? While the truck rusts away?
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 5:10pm
Our F450's with the 7.3 Navistar... were the most reliable and most economically successful engines we ever had.  Not screaming powerhouses, but dependable as a steel-handled hammer.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 5:52pm
Around here everyone praises the 7.3 Diesels and wishes they would build it again. I had one and it did what I wanted it to do. But I prefer the 6.0 diesel but I have a diesel shop and we only work on Ford diesels. I had a 6.4, and was not impressed. Long story there and to be honest I really don’t like to work on them. The 6.7s are doing good around here with a few issues but nothing like the 6.4 and 6.0s. I would put the 6.7 up with the 7.3 in terms of reliability. I have several customers with v-10s that I have worked on because they have diesels too. They seem to do a good job and my customers love them but there is a difference between gas and diesel in terms of towing.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 7:33am
You are right about the junk ford puts out. In the years I worked for a car dealership, we replaced more motors, trannys, in ford pickups than any other brand of truck. As our ford mechanic used to say. -- "If ford was a reputable company they would have recalled every v10, 5.4, and 6.0 motor and repaired/replaced them at fords expense". I owned 6 of them over the years I was in business. They did me no favors. Yes I have 1 now that my wife bought. As soon possible it will hit the road.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 8:06am
Tom this is not to dispute anything you wrote, but for perspective, there literally are more ford pickup still on the road than any other brand of truck, so it might have something to do with the fact that your shop worked on more of them? For myself, it has ALWAYS been Ford, family's always been Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, with a Dodge or two over the years, Jeeps always lol, and ONCE, a brother owned a Chebbie back in the 70s lol... but that's pretty much over - my next truck will probably be a GMC. But we'll see...
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 8:27am
After the current recall BS about the block heater, my diehard Ford friend wishes he'd bought a Toyota ! FOUR trips to idiot dealership and he STILL brought it to me to confirm the block heater NOW works.....
All makes have their problems though....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 11:27am
Can't get anybody around here to work on junk 7.3 diesel's! ---Nobody will touch them! Mine sits out back from the time temps go below 55 til in spring when it goes back up to 55 at nights, so it never gets any miles on it. --Its a F-350 dual wheel flatbed. --In winter I have to pull my dump trailer with the Explorer, not something I like doing but desperate times. Still down from surgery so this winter everything is sitting.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

I had three F450 dually service trucks with the V10 gasser.  They did miss... sometimes more than others.  I could HEAR the bad coil pack on a 'dead air' spot on the AM radio, but the dealership would frequently refuse to change anything 'because it's not throwing a trouble code'... when I could put my hand in front of the tailpipe and FEEL it missing. 

That being said, we had NO stranding engine failures of any of our 17 V10 Gas F450s.  We had one transmission failure, and plenty of plugs and coils, but no engine fails.    With our big service bodies, and ladders on racks on the roof, we averaged 5.6mpg across all those 17 trucks, and two million miles.  Our prior trucks were identical, but with the diesel series.  We averaged 6.3, with the exact same service bodies, ladders, etc., attached.

We went gas because the advantage of diesel was not commensurate with the added cost of operation AND... the engine failure downtime.

(yawn)  438ci, and 475 ft-lbs at 4000rpm...  it's nice that it develops all that torque, but what's it generating down at 2200? 2800?  3200?

My current F250 has the 6.4 V8, and it's horsepower ratings are something like 385hp, with 430ft-lbs at 3800.

Having the torque peak way up by redline makes for nice peak horsepower numbers, but it isn't worth crap at anything other than full-throttle accelleration.  When driving on the highway with a trailer, the engine is turning 2600rpm, having gobs of torque at 4k means you step on the pedal, wait a few seconds for the computer to figure out what gear it wants, and then you're out of RPM and shifting already.  Having the torque fat-and-flat makes for a much more effective platform.

I'm really baffled by the engineering concepts applied to powertrain... all the technology and complexity wasted.  I have a late '80's Chevy P30 bread van with a '76 Buick 455... it weighs exactly the same as my F250, but only has a 3-speed automatic, and same final drive ratio.  The bread truck is more responsive in traffic, holds it's speed, and climbs better than the newer challenger, and that can be attributed to putting down over 500ft-lbs from 2300 to 4200... with a quadrajet... and it gets better fuel economy than my service truck.

Apparently, the lessons learned long ago, were lost, and the prevailing solution is to 'throw technology at it'.

Dave,
I haven't seen the HP/Torque curves for this engine, so I'm talking in generalities. Usually, hi cube engines torque curves are reasonably flat. Sure Ford will tout the peak for marketing, but I suspect it would be respectable in the 2000 rpm area. HP on the other hand usually tracks with RPM real general terms, but in a truck pulling a load, its torque that rules the day....more or less.....see me hedging my bet!?? LOL Your comparison with the Buford isn't fair, the Ford has emissions to deal with as well as fuel mileage.
Your point of drivability is valid! I am seeing issues in drivability more and more in new vehicles. My company ride, 150 Transit is a royal pain to drive in traffic....constantly searching for a gear, and each time it does we lag in traffic, causing the according effect, lag, lag, lag...then I'm on the brakes! I usually do manual shifting in traffic

Edited by LouSWPA - 02 Jan 2020 at 3:44pm
Wait for the Lord;
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 4:07pm
55 and under, I plug mine in for 1-2 hours.
Turn the key and it is running. Has over 215,000 miles and have just replaced normal wear parts.
F250 2001
2 wheel drive, long bed, ex cab, 6 speed
I also only change oil ever 10,000 t0 12,000 miles.
There are 3-4 shop around here, that's about all they work on.
Most of the motors they work on have 200,000+ miles.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic