This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 gauge coyote loads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 gauge coyote loads
    Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 9:00am
Last year when I had some coyote trouble I purchased a second rifle to keep at the barn. The barn is 3/4 of a mile from the house, so I felt like I needed one at both places. The rifles are for day time use only. Lately, I've been hearing coyotes howling at night. I thought next time I hear them I would go out in the pasture and check the cattle, and see if they are any lurking around. I figured I would take the trusty 12 gauge with me. I have some turkey loads (no. 4 shot) here at the house that I planned to use. I figured they would probably work on a coyote at maybe 40 yards and in. Then a friend at work told me you can buy coyote loads. I've been checking them out on line, and watching a lot of videos. I think these shells will work a little better than the turkey loads. Some claim to be effective up to 100 yards. It seems like the most popular shot size are BBs or #4 buck shot. That's pretty large shot. Like turkey loads, I figured you would want to use a good tight choke. I was surprised that in some of the videos they were using improved cylinder and even open bore. I asked my friend why, he said you shouldn't use a tight choke on those large shot, it could ruin the barrel. I've always heard you should never fire a slug through a full choke, and that makes sense. Maybe these large shot have a similar effect. But then, on some of the videos they are using full chokes and even turkey chokes. Has anyone ever used these coyote loads? I'd like to hear a few opinions on their effectiveness, and best choke size to use - Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Animal Cracker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Animal Cracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 9:22am
Unless there pretty docile I don't think you'll get close enough.They are smart and get educated fast.Setting up a little nite hunt may be more productive. But were there is one there are more. So use the rifle. But if they are getting close to you  00 buck shot you won't hurt the gun. I would suggest a pump or single shot gun over the semi auto.
If you can't hunt at night,early morning can be productive also but may have to call them in.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 10:37am
IF you get close enough to use a shotgun,----The animal is sick ! Coyotes are nite time animals by nature. Thats why its hard to find them. Yes they do come out in daytime too, BUT in more remote locations. A friend of mine used to hunt early morning, bout day break and used 30-06, big scope, and over a quarter mile away. --- Saw many hides he got this way! Varmints never knew what hit them! lol!!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 10:59am
they're kinda 'domesticated' here as they're 'protected'..sigh.
It's the dang FOX that's got me worried ! Will almost walk up to you !!!  yesterday ,11AMish, he got within 10' of me...NO FEAR.. saunters around you lke he owns the place. Nutty neighbour has been feeding them for years, city does NADA about it.
I'm wondering what I can carry to 'eliminate the problem'. pellet rifle too small, all guns are not allowed, I was thinking a paintball gun with 'modified' balls ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Randy WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 11:04am
Sling shot
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 11:33am
THANKS !! I got a huge jar FULL of 3/8" ball bearings..now WHERE in the garage is the next question..... tomorrows quest,maybe ,as outlaws acomin for dindin....
as for WHY I have the ball bearings... I made a 'railgun' 2 decades ago..one of those 'no you can't -yes I can' bets......got my case of beer after it destroyed a 12" cinder block.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
irlbeck A-C'S View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irlbeck A-C'S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 4:15pm
The larger shot will not hurt the barrel with a full choke. Here in FL. We hunt deer with shotguns. Most everyone uses full choke with buckshot. Some even use extra full. Single and Double aught buck are the most common. Slugs are very rarely used here.
3 1/2in shells are very popular here too. For years we only used 2 3/4 and they got the job done.
You can get #4buck here. Has 54 pellets in 3 1/2in. Illegal to shoot deer with in FL but for a coyote they are more than enough.

If your gun is old enough to have a Damascus barrel it's different. They are not made for the modern powder loads.

Edited by irlbeck A-C'S - 26 Dec 2019 at 4:32pm
B,C,CA,(2)WC's,(4)WD's,(2) WD45'S, 45Diesel, (2)D12'S Series 2, D12 Hiclear,(2)D12 Series 3, HD3, D17NF (3)D17 Series 4 Diesels, M-100 Grader,8550,A few Lawn tractors lots of other AC stuff    
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 5:21pm
The first one is birdshot the next four are double ought buck. The last one's a slug just for good luck. Bob Seeger, Manhattan.

Edited by Walker - 26 Dec 2019 at 5:27pm
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 7:04pm
Use a red headlamp to locate coyotes as they will look at the light and not be skittish. Remember they can see below and beside the light so anyone going with you or your legs can be seen. Best choke is Improved or modified depending on what you are shooting. If you buy Dead Coyote that is hard shot and needs a more open choke. Some manufacturers make chokes just for shotgun Coyote hunting much like Extra full Turkey Chokes. Get some shells and try patterning the gun see what it likes. I know of Coyote hunters that claim BB's work best in winter as they go through the thick coat a coyote grows. Best way is find some road kill or a dead calf and set up downwind on a clear full moon night. Make sure to use scent block as coyotes will circle back early coming in if they sense anything! Good luck!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 7:22pm
BB's and 4 buck are good coyote medicine in a 12 gauge. Probably good to about 60 yds. I've got some 00 buck loads for my 10 ga. that would kill anything out to about 100 yds. or a little more. Down side is the recoil. Makes my .300 Weatherby seem like a puppy!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 3:58am

We used to call them coyotes in with different calls and I never seen one any closer than a hundred yards away,,,checkin you out from behind a bush,,,or haulin azz straight towards us,,,,,
 My gun of choice for them buggers  was a .257 Roberts improved shootin a 97 Gr SPBT. They never could outrun that loadWink ,,,If you could see em,,,they were down,,,,Clap
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 8:08am
I still have an old model 12 Winchester that belonged to my pop.  It has had a few slugs run through it and has put some meat on the pole.  It still shoots too tight for me with its 30"  barrel and full choke.  Confused
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 8:48am
Still use a .243 for distance, most of these critters had learned to avoid around the house but are beginning to stray closer, I leave them be until they become comfy closer in then BAM get a couple before they dart off and stay out too far.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 11:31am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

I made a 'railgun' 2 decades ago..one of those 'no you can't -yes I can' bets......got my case of beer after it destroyed a 12" cinder block.
WHAT the heck is a railgun?  I used to make a gun that was made of pipe and used a firecracker to light it off.  Went through a 55 gal drum.  Filled it with water and it only went 'ding' on the other side.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 11:43am
klinemar says it best.  I've been less than 30 yards (just came out the back door and surprised em) and hit one with #4 shot.  He just stumbled but ran on.  Since then, I've used 4 aught with BB's.  I reload, so you can't buy this load.  The BB's fit in between the larger shot but make a heck of a pattern.

Newer shotguns are made a lot better than the old ones.  From way back, all the books I've read don't want any choke smaller than a modified choke and an improved cylinder is best.  I've seen the screwin (threads inside of the barrel) chokes get bent out of shape.  Not worth the chance.  As stated, the loads are being made with steel now, not lead which will deform to fit through the choke, but not the steel.

If you can hear em, they can hear and smell you.  You won't get close.  Have you got the split door barn doors?  Otherwise, up in the hayloft with a buddy (son is best) and a GOOD spotlight.  You can have LOTS of fun!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 1:10pm
A railgun is a device that uses electromagnetic force to launch high velocity projectiles by means of a sliding armature that is accelerated along a pair of conductive rails. It is typically constructed as a weapon, and the projectile normally does not contain explosives, instead relying on the projectile's high speed and kinetic energy to inflict damage. The railgun uses a pair of parallel conductors (rails), along which a sliding armature is accelerated by the electromagnetic effects of a current that flows down one rail, into the armature and then back along the other rail. It is based on principles similar to those of the homopolar motor.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 6:08pm
Here I use BBB in my 10 gauge, and I have used BB in my 12 gauge turkey shotgun.  The 10 gauge kills them at 70 yards.  I got a couple at 5:00 am a couple weeks ago with a 17 HMR that came right up by my corn drier when I was up unloading a truck load of wet corn they were calling out like crazy, thin they were after my cats, I have lost quite a few in the last couple years.  i have had great success calling them when out in the field.  I think the calls I use are from the fellow that had the show predator quest.  A couple blasts from that one and they come running right at you, .257 roberts is my rifle of choice for that type of hunting.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 8:23pm
I can't get coyotes to come within shotgun range...  nearest I managed, was dumb enough to stand in a shadow in my driveway 90ft from me, while I was looking through the scope of my 22 magnum.  He'd been taunting my favorite barn kitty, and I erased his future with one shot, but he ran a long way on adrenalin before he fell.  A 22-250 or a .243 would my choice if I had to reach out any farther, because when I shoot varmints, I prefer they drop dead where they stand...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 8:37pm
Thanks for all the comments guys. From what I gather, choke size is more or less a matter of preference. I don't believe any of these coyote loads are steel. Most are nickel plated lead. Some are tungsten, but I think they are more expensive. I will have to buy the 3 inch shells because my guns can't use the 3 1/2. I don't know what a Damascus barrel is. I do have an 80 year Winchester model 37. I've shot tons of modern shells thru it, but only 2 3/4 length. I would love to try calling some coyotes. I told my friend to come out and bring his calls, but he is afraid of the laws and getting in trouble. It's illegal to hunt coyote at night in Tennessee. Technically, I'm not hunting; I'm defending my herd. Besides, I'm going to do what I want on my own property. Some of the laws he's telling me about sound ridiculous.

Edited by Ranse - 27 Dec 2019 at 8:40pm
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 9:12pm
My weapon of choice during day light hours will be a rifle. I killed one last year with my 30-06. My new rifle is a Savage Axis in 6.5 Creedmoor. The 30-06 I leave at the house, the 6.5 stays at the barn. I'm not going to shoot a rifle at night for two reasons. One is you can't see thru a scope at night anyway. The other reason it's to dangerous. Much more likely to hit a cow in the dark than a coyote. The chance of me seeing a coyote in shotgun range are slim at best. Never the less, I don't want to go out empty handed. I figured a shotgun is the best choice, and I want the most powerful ammo I can get for them.

Edited by Ranse - 27 Dec 2019 at 9:42pm
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 9:28pm
Ranse, a Damascus barrel is one fabricated in so many words by twisting flat steel into a spiral, sort of like an old paper drinking straw. I am not an expert on these, or their fabrication, so I could be a little off, but in any case they are not a solid steel product, and will not handle the pressure of modern rounds.
Just a suggestion, I would seek the advise of a reputable gunsmith with your 80 year old firearm. It is not necessarily a Damascus barrel just because of it's age, but since you don't know, it might be wise to check it out
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Ranse Ranse wrote:

I would love to try calling some coyotes. I told my friend to come out and bring his calls, but he is afraid of the laws and getting in trouble. It's illegal to hunt coyote at night in Tennessee. Technically, I'm not hunting; I'm defending my herd. Besides, I'm going to do what I want on my own property. Some of the laws he's
telling me about sound ridiculous.
Be careful using calls every time me and my buddy go hunting I have to resist the urge to shoot him while he is calling.the sounds drive me crazy lol. I have shot at night with a rifle with a green varmint light on top of my scope, and then I bought a night vision scope but I haven’t tried it at night yet.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 10:03pm
I would say, find someone who can call em in good, there are some around here that say they like to slap their face before they shoot em, or could be like happened to my cousin, coyote came at the call so fast coyote run him over..came from a blind side and fast...

Oh yea,,ya don't hafta call em at night, they will come in the daylight too
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 8:32am
Not sure what trouble the coyotes are causing that is the source of all the hubbub.......but if I was really worried, and had that many, I'd order 1/2 dozen MB 550 coil spring traps and learn how to prep, set and use em. Hay sets.  Or maybe snares if they are legal.

With either of those.....a .22 will do the trick. Wink

Just for fun and because I had a new rifle I wanted to play with, I tried walking down a coyote on fresh snow one day.....and after the 2ND time I crossed my own track......and never did catch sight of him......I concluded that job didn't pay well by the hour. There was one roughed up patch of snow that might have been him rolling on the ground laughing at me.

Did I hear mention of a 6.5 Creedmore? I'd keep that handy if I spotted one during the day......and that would be about it for me as far as a firearm was concerned. Back when coyotes were a concern to me, I always carried my rifle in a gun rack behind the seat. Do those even exist anymore?

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 2:20pm
My BIL uses his night scope on his army issued rifle. I asked him how? He said his gear fell off the back of the truck while over in desert storm and somehow it found its way mailed to his parents house. Balls......he has.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Stan IL&TN Stan IL&TN wrote:

My BIL uses his night scope on his army issued rifle. I asked him how? He said his gear fell off the back of the truck while over in desert storm and somehow it found its way mailed to his parents house. Balls......he has.

Ummmm I was wondering why I saw a convoy of black Suburbans hauling butt our way.  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic