This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

battery charger desulfator?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: battery charger desulfator?
    Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 6:52am
I know this has been discussed before. I am thinking about a smart charger that will work on 6 and 12v batteries. I have 2 6v batteries that I would like to try one on.  Has anyone bought a unit that will work for both? Looking for opinions. Thanks and Merry Xmas!
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 1:34pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 1:40pm
If you remove from service...you could wire the 2 6 vlters in series and they become a 12 volt battery.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 2:03pm
I thought about wiring in series but it would be nice to have one for 6v also. I have watched some videos and read some articles and as usual everything is all over the place. That's why I would like to hear from someone who has used one. I believe Shameless has.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 6:37pm
Mine senses voltage and polarity and flashes red or green accordingly. It's pretty much foolproof.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 6:43pm
Have not seen a Six volt charger since I left Garage Work!! Know they should still be out there as Group 4 Six Volt Batteries still available.

As to in Series, was having issues with the 180 charging up Both 12Vs seems did Not want to do it so swapped back to singles and one had opened a cell.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 8:31pm
Walker what do you have?
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 9:59pm
Optimate 3. Bought it for motorcycle, atv and small batts. That company does make bigger models for bigger batts.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 10:12pm
Mine also maintains the battery which is most important for mc's during winter. The one like shameless has may be more what you're looking for.

Edited by Walker - 24 Dec 2019 at 10:16pm
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 11:23pm
I have 6 battery chargers in the shop, all of them are 6/12 volt. One from TSC, one from NAPA, and 3 from HF. Can't remember where I got the other 1. None have the desulfinator package built into them. I just collected them all up today and put them away for the winter.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 11:42pm
mine is a B&D smart charger, I don't think it works on 6 volt batteries tho, never tried it as I don't have any 6 volters right now.
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 5:09am
My tenders are all from NOCO, they have the desulfurization function, but it only works in 12 volt mode, 6 volt is a regular charge mode.
https://no.co/products
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
1951WDNWWI View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1951WDNWWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 8:01pm
This one does 6v and 12v and maintains.  Does regular and AGM batteries.  As far a desulfator it does not say.  https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/schumacher-100a-6v-12v-fully-automatic-battery-charger/0000000297869?bc=Schumacher&brandCrumb=3964712101&bn=schumacher

Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 1:49am
I got no idea if this will make sense or not but here goes. The way I understand it the Optimate type keeps cycling through the checks as it's maintaining the batt. If it picks up any sulphating it will try different combos of kicks and jabs as it cycles until its gone. Now with 2.3 charging amps that aint much I realize but at the same time I know 4 amps will fry a motorcycle batt. I read it tries different combos of shorts and longs and maybe puts out more amps on bursts, I know when the sulphate light is on the charger warms up considerably the first time but damned if it don't seem to be doing what it says it's doing. I had a Chinese maintainer on one of them that fizzled I don't know when but it was pretty bad and this thing brought it back. I paid more for that battery than I did the charger. There is plenty of chargers to be had just got to find one with features you need.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 6:57am
Walker..
That's a pretty good description as to what's happening. There are a few 'tricks' to the 'black magic' of reviving  a battery. One is that when desulphuratin, you send narrow, high energy(amps) pulses to the battery. I read somewhere that 'bursts' of 3.4MHz is the best frequency. This 'blasts' the battery without overcharging it. The other trick is everyone uses a 50 cent computer as the 'brains'. That's how they can desulph/charge/maintain any kind of battery. The computer 'reads' the battery then does 'whatever' , shows some numbers on a screen, then does it all again, over,and over and over and over...till the cows come home.

'Old skool' battery chargers,like the 4A one you write about, just keep filling the battery with electrons. Eventually something has to give. Same as filling  a bucket with an unstoppable running hose.....

Jay

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 3:14pm
Calling chaskaduo you had model in the last discussion,Wink that was doing great things. It still working? Cause I could use one and like said above recomendation from someone using one. i did try looking back Confused and nothing.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 3:33pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 6:23pm
jaybmiller, cooking a battery wasn't quite so painfull back when they were like 19.99, now that they are like 119.99 it's a whole new ball game and chargers don't care if they are six years or six minutes old. All should take notice that this same thing applies to lawn mowers also. And speaking of fleecing's, back in the 70's I was in a Western Auto store and bought a small blue bottle with no ingredients listed for a couple bucks that made a completely shot battery for a Honda mc last for years and I aint seen one of them blue bottles since.

Edited by Walker - 26 Dec 2019 at 6:50pm
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 11:10am
??????

Edited by chaskaduo - 27 Dec 2019 at 11:11am
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 12:05pm
Here ya go buddy!!  I have quite a few myself at the farm and I love em!

https://www.batterychargers.com/en/search-results?search_api_views_fulltext=battery+maintainers

Just go through the list and find the 6v ones.

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 5:30pm
Probably, mine didn't come in box but the name rings a bell. Where'd ya find them?
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 3:57am
On the web, googling of course. They were not for sale, just an info picture. I vaguely remembered XV6 ads and started googling.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 6:34am
Bought a maintainer for my Harley, thought was smart thing to do as every cycle jockey mechanic said was a must have. Have NOT used it in years for more than a spot charge for a day prior to use. When left it on for weeks to months it WOULD cook the battery, first one(OE) only lasted two years, one in it now has been in it for four.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 6:44am
I have a NOCO 3500. It works well but the insulation on the leads is so brittle the wire broke after about a year. Five year warranty and it's on its way back now. But I'm out a charger in December.
Learning AC...slowly
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 7:28am
Kinda hate to say this but HF has one on sale now that if it works it will do everything I want. Might give it a try. If it doesn't work it will go back.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 7:46am
A 'maintainer' that cooks a battery is defective. It's designed to 'top up' a battey then shut off.ONLY when the battery discharges, will it then  come back on and 'top up' the battery.
Old skool battery chargers (transformer and 4 diodes, aka 1st gen) would cook batteries. 2nd gen using SCRs work GREAT ! They automatically 'top up' as required. I consider them to be a 'combo' unit charger and maintiner. They do reuire battery to have a bit of volts in them to start though.
The problem with today's stuff is everyone HAS to have a computer under the hood and lots of itty bitty parts, none of which can be fixed cheaper than buying, sigh, another unit.

Edited by jaybmiller - 28 Dec 2019 at 8:11am

Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 7:17pm
Chaskaduo, speaking for my old Honda batt. that was good stuff.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 7:27pm
I've got one maintainer I rotate around between 4 batteries making sure to hit each one every three weeks or so for a couple days. Kinda gives the maintainer a break now and then too. Mine says it's guaranteed for three years so what the hey.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by exSW exSW wrote:

I have a NOCO 3500. It works well but the insulation on the leads is so brittle the wire broke after about a year. Five year warranty and it's on its way back now. But I'm out a charger in December.
   Two things the Chinlee have no idea how to make, a spring the will hold it's springeness and copper wire that aint brittle or just so skinny it is useless.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

Originally posted by exSW exSW wrote:

Two things the Chinlee have no idea how to make, a spring the will hold it's springeness and copper wire that aint brittle or just so skinny it is useless.

Five year warranty.If that's the case that thing's going to rack up some mileage!
Learning AC...slowly
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic