This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cast iron cookware???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cast iron cookware???
    Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 10:06pm
looking around yesterday, came across "enameled" cast iron cookware, dutch oven, pie pan, skillet, pan, griddle. I just stared at it, why the enamel? anyone have these?
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 10:28pm
My wife has and enameled cast iron Dutch over it a pioneer woman one. She loves it it dosent get a black coat like regular cast iron so you can wash it like other cook wear.she thinks it's pretty and my regular cast iron is ugly. My skillet was old when I got it from my grandmother 40 years ago.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 6:41am

HMmmmm,,,???  enameled cast iron,,,???  why would you put a "covering" on cast iron cookware,,,?? Seems like you are coverin the idea of cast iron,,,am I missing something here,,,??
 I have an old 10"  "Keep Your Dang Hands Off" cast iron skillet that is only used BY ME for makin corn bread,,!!  Makes the best'est corn bread,,,wipe it off with a towel and hide it way back in the oven for next time,,,,,,,,Clap
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 6:56am
Yeah I HAD a real nice 12" skillet that NEVER got anything stuck to it....The 'trick' was to take a palm sander and smooooooooth the inside bottom,then 'season' it.
You do NOT need ANY fancy 'coatings'..sigh...marketing....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 7:04am
we have one of those dutch ovens like Dakota Dave described.  Got the "old fashioned" one from bygone days still.

We love it, it works great,  don't knock it until you try it. 
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 7:33am
Is it enamel, porcelain, or ceramic? I couldn't imagine cooking on powdercoat. I know that ceramic is more porous than porcelain and fired at a higher temp. The coated cast I've used, seemed to discolor, but then I like a good sear on my meat so I just use straight heavy cast. I snap em up at garage sales the kids are having after the folks or grand folks pass.

Edited by chaskaduo - 21 Dec 2019 at 7:37am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 9:08am
No one likes to care for the cast iron and that is the rub. It takes work to keep them seasoned. I have a friend that has about a thousand pounds of cast iron on a heavy duty display rack. I tell him the floor will collapse if he keeps adding to the collection.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
irlbeck A-C'S View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irlbeck A-C'S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 1:26pm
Wife has one that she really likes. It's a non stick cast iron skilet.
B,C,CA,(2)WC's,(4)WD's,(2) WD45'S, 45Diesel, (2)D12'S Series 2, D12 Hiclear,(2)D12 Series 3, HD3, D17NF (3)D17 Series 4 Diesels, M-100 Grader,8550,A few Lawn tractors lots of other AC stuff    
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 1:34pm
My wife has a couple Enameled Cast Iron pans, they do OK, I still prefer a Hard Seasoned old base cast iron pan. Once seasoned just remember get it good and hot then add whatever oil, butter, shortening and have at it, generally just wipe it out with a paper towel when done and good to go next time.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 6:01pm
The enamel just fancies up something that doesn't need it. You can not beat the old regular cast iron for cookware. I have some from my grandmother, my mom, plus some I have acquired on my own. Just got a rusted waffle iron that I am going to clean, season, and put to use. Season it, clean it with hot water only or just wiping out and lightly coat it with oil (lard works best) and you are good to go. Took me a while to convince my bride that you DO NOT use soapy water wash cast iron. That stuff will still be around when all of this "seen on tv" miracle coating cookware is in the scrap pile. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 6:56pm
We have a large Green pan/stock pot with a lid made of cast and coated with something. It’s white on the inside. It feels like it weighs 35 lbs. we have a decent collection of old cast skillets and such and a Dutch oven. I sand blasted all of it last year and reseasoned all of it. She uses the same two most of the time. Our new gas stove has a cast iron griddle in the middle. I use it often.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 7:34pm

A short story bout them cast iron pots,,,,,,
 When I first started workin at the refinery, I was assigned to be swamper with the Truck Drivers and my Uncle was one of the drivers, We were haulin trash to the dump, and I was backin him up when I notice bout 5-6 cast iron pans somebody had just dumped,,,I hollar at my Uncle and we found like 8-9 of the 10" and 12" pans and some with lids,,,!!!  I dug up a beam pot bout 10" deep and bout 8" wide but could not find the lid,,,,,,
 Bout that time the caretaker shows up and told us we were NOT suppossed to be picking up stuff but he knew my Uncle so he let us keep what we had,,,He seen my bean pot and said,, "I found the lid to that pot yesterday,, so I'll make you a deal,,either you give me the pot ,,or I'll give you the lid""""" I looked him square in the eye and said,,Chit,,you give me no choice,,,Why don't you just give me the lid,,,,,,
 He ,,,,,he,,,,,,stared at me for a minute ,,,looked over at my Uncle,,,and said "OK,,,I'll bring you the dang lid tamarrow,,,!!  I still gots that bean pot and have cooked many pots of camp beans,,,,,ClapClapClap
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 8:28pm
Don't, under ANY circumstances, hit play, on this video...Wink

[TUBE]2c_1QdIEElc[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 8:43pm
Joe, you're right, you can't beat cornbread cooked in a cast iron skillet or griddle. But believe it or not some people have health problems from getting too much iron in their system from cooking in cast iron. But if one thing don't get you, something else will.   Leon  Dead
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 11:54pm
I have a dutch oven I use a few times a year! I saw this cook ware and I had never seen it before, I prolly won't buy it. I do have a few cast pieces from the past that need help, I may work on them later.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 11:59pm
they are enameled Chas
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 8:50am

OK did some Wiki-walking and found out the differences.

Vitreous enamel, also called porcelain enamel, is a material made by fusing powdered glass to a substrate by firing, usually between 750 and 850 °C (1,380 and 1,560 °F). The powder melts, flows, and then hardens to a smooth, durable vitreous coating. The word comes from the Latin vitreum, meaning "glass".

Enamel can be used on metal, glass, ceramics, stone, or any material that will withstand the fusing temperature. In technical terms fired enamelware is an integrated layered composite of glass and another material (or more glass). The term "enamel" is most often restricted to work on metal, which is the subject of this article. Enamelled glass is also called "painted", and overglaze decoration to pottery is often called enamelling.

Enamelling is an old and widely adopted technology, for most of its history mainly used in jewelry and decorative art. Since the 19th century, enamels have also been applied to many consumer objects, such as some cooking vessels, steel sinks, enamel bathtubs, and stone countertops.[1] It has also been used on some appliances, such as dishwashers, laundry machines, and refrigerators, and on marker boards and signage.

The term "enamel" has also sometimes been applied to industrial materials other than vitreous enamel, such as enamel paint and the polymers coating enameled wire.

The word enamel comes from the Old High German word smelzan (to smelt) via the Old French esmail,[2] or from a Latin word smaltum, first found in a 9th-century life of Leo IV.[3] Used as a noun, "an enamel" is usually a small decorative object coated with enamel. "Enamelled" and "enamelling" are the preferred spellings in British English, while "enameled" and "enameling" are preferred in American English.

Porcelain and Ceramic are a type of clay mixture roughly speaking.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 11:54am
I'm not using coated chit for nuttin!! --I'll stick with my ole black cast iron. --- Had some teflon coated pans given to us, and first time used,--damn coating came off in the food, so food, pan and all went in the dump. --- I know the enamel stuff will chip and pieces will end up in your food! We use heavy stainless pans plus the cast iron.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

I'm not using coated chit for nuttin!! --I'll stick with my ole black cast iron. --- Had some teflon coated pans given to us, and first time used,--damn coating came off in the food, so food, pan and all went in the dump. --- I know the enamel stuff will chip and pieces will end up in your food! We use heavy stainless pans plus the cast iron.
x2 on all that. I didn't have the teflon pans, but knew someone that did, and the coating came off like you said. Nothing but stainless and cast for me. 
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 2:28pm
With that Square Red Copper Pan, I'd definitely need a bigger plastic cup, yep a 20 ouncer. LOL
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 5:41pm
Yeah, well I seen a VW beetle with antlers and a red nose Saturday. Just proves the old anything for a buck theory.
CaseyCreek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseyCreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 9:49pm
I have an enameled skillet and matching Dutch oven.  I use the Dutch oven more because I make a lot of soups and chili and I like to braise.  That kind of cooking isn't so great for the coatings on my regular cast iron.

I really like the enameled stuff for these purposes.  I get the heat retention and acid resistance without having to worry about liquids/acids messing up the seasoning.  I have started cooking my chili in the oven using the Dutch oven.

I have a few (my wife would say several) regular cast iron skillets.  Pretty much all that I use for everything else from eggs to steaks to roasted chicken (that's what we had tonight).
D17 Series III,D17 Series IV, 185
Animal Cracker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Animal Cracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 3:20am
Unless we're boiling water,everything is cooked off old griswold iron
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 5:07am
Doc told me to stop cooking on cast iron because of a high iron blood count.
The treatment is to give blood and the only way I can do that is with a doctors order because I have a history of cancer.
My grill has a cast grate but I use it anyway.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 6:09am
Up here you can give blood , 'for your own use',say you're going in for a major operation and you've got rare blood type.
neighbour has high iron, goes in and gets 'filtered' every few months.
hard to believe that 'cast iron causes high iron'. yeesh you'ld have to eat 3 squares a day. forever and maybe, maybe pickup some iron from. Better to get it from breathin in rusty dusty cloud when working on old cars.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 7:25am
Perhaps the doctor said, you have high iron in your blood, don’t cook with cast iron, and perhaps these other possibilities that could make it worse. Doesn’t mean it was the cause in the first place.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 1:14am
Liars figure and figures lie.....
I've used cast iron pans my whole life and I'm still a weakling,,,,,,,,no iron muscles on me! LOL
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 7:51am
It amazes me that certain classes, professions such as doctors included, "Oh yes, cooking with cast iron can give you too much iron in your diet," etc. BUT, let anyone say that cooking with stainless steel is not good, particularly when using fats or oils, because nickel leaches out (true, not a myth), and then it builds up in reproductive areas (testes, prostate, ovaries, breasts), and the increased use of stainless correlates directly with the increased rates of these types of cancer, and those SAME PEOPLE laugh and ridicule and call you a conspiracy theorist, you name it, "Nickel can't 'leach out' of stainless, that's not possible!" But, you're getting too much iron, EVEN THOUGH the entire principle of cast iron is centered around "seasoning" it, which is a process whereby oils is POLYMERIZED, creating in a sense a surface separating the cast iron from the food being cooked in it, much like japanning on old tools! GAH!!!
So, take it with a grain of salt if -- OH WAIT WE CAN'T SALT IS EVIL!!!, um, AND SO IS GRAIN, GRAIN HAS GLUTEN!!! ...oh boy, um, so sweeten the deal - NO NO NO SUGAR BAAAAADDDD!!! AH FORGET IT THEN!!!
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic