This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats a good rust remover,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats a good rust remover,,,,
    Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 12:29am

One of my small generators must of got some water in it and set for some time. The oldest boy has got a Deer hunt coming up and did not want to take the big generator,  so I dug out a 1500 Kawasaki. It had not been used for 3-4 years and would not start for chit. Pulled the front cover and the coil and flywheel contacts was very rusty. Took a wire wheel to em and looked good,but still no start,,,
 Pulled carb and did not look too bad but fuel inlet was full of gunk.!! pulled tank and the goldernest mess in there,,,where the heck did all the rust come from????? I always leave some fuel in those tanks with a little stabil but this sob is bad shape.. I put bout a dozen sharp edged rocks in tank and sloshed it with some water for bout 15 minutes,,and I got a LOT of rusty water coming out but this sob gonna need lots better help,,,,,,,
 What do others use for a good rust remover,,??
Sponsored Links

Matt (Jordan,MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt (Jordan,MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 2:56am
evaporust works really well
Owner of Matt Scott LLC
Specializing in NOS and used Allis Chalmers tractor & implement parts & liturature and Magneto Repair
http://www.mattscottllc.com/
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 5:46am
small rocks(not pointy ones) into tank, strap tank to A-C tractor wheel, go for a drive for 1/2-1 hr, remove tank, clean out, inspect, repeat if necessary.
if it's really,really bad you might find NOS tank online.princess auto has some 'honda-lke' in the 'surplus' aisle.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 7:11am
Check up on how to treat it with phosphoric acid.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 7:17am

Jay

Joe may not know what Princess Auto is.

He may think it is some member of the Royal Family in the UK.

Be best to mention Harbor Freight.

Gary
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 8:35am

Hey THANKS for the translation,,Gary,,,,Clap  Chit,,,i run thet thru Youtube and didn't get a single hit and and since you done give me a reason to go to HF,,,,I'll go look tamarrow.
BUT,,,,BUT,,,,and ole Shameless is flat gonna LOVE this,,,,while cruisin thru the youtube videos,,,I find where this dude used ole Shameless's favorite ,,,,,Apple Cider Vinegar,,,he bought a couple of jugs and filled the tank with it straight ,,left it overnight and ,,,Presto,,,the tank looked like new next mornin!!!! On my way to walmart,,,,Clap
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 9:03am
Apple Cider Vinegar will only get you so far, maybe light rust that has not progressed too long. Picked up a D15II as a parts tractor and ran it on sellers temp. motorcycle tank to run it as tank was downright nasty from sitting for years. Put my own plastic lawnmower tank on it this year for verifying she is gonna be put to work (rear lift seals were all that she needed) and decided to try the ACV on the nasty tank. Hardly phased it so rinsed with gas, let it dry while off to Home Depot for Muriatic Acid in the swimming pool section.
Bunged her off including an old gas gage and a gas cap with gasket removed, set atop 4x4 blocks outside. 2 gallons of MA cleaned it to bare metal within 20-30 minutes and it was rotated carefully to effect all sides. Finished with it upside down and cracked the plug threads in the outlet so she would not build up pressure.
That was not a problem as the MA found plenty of pin holes in the upper half and a water hose was let run under it on slight downgrade.
MA is pretty nasty stuff so be careful if you use it, good idea to have a jug of baking soda mixed in water nearby, a water hose and of course, safety shield AND safety glasses!Good to have some MM Oil ready if she cleans up without holes, couple cups rotating the tank so it is good and coated will allow immediate use with gas or storage as it will prevent "flash rust" as it dries.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 12:44pm

Joe

Here is a link to the Website of one near where I used to live.

They are very similar to Harbor Freight.

Gary

https://www.princessauto.com/en/store?storeId=22
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 12:50pm
electrolysis 
HD3
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 1:02am
used to have a princess auto in Omaha NE, but they closed and moved out. sure was a handy place!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 6:04am

Hey,,Tim,,many thanks for thet info,,I'ma gonna try the ACV first cause I'm a firm believer of thet stuff,,,but if it don't do the job,,,it's gonna be some MA, like you say,,,,Clap

But I may have bigger problems than just some rust in the tank,,,, when I first spun the engine,,,it was hard to pull on  the rope but finally loosened up some and did not feel like too much compression,,,fixed up a temp gas tank like you did and engine still would NOT start.  pulled the spark plug, sprayed some start fluid but still no go so, pulled the ign coil and cleaned the contacts and flywheel,,,where did all this friggin rust come from,,??
 Well,,I gots some great spark now but still no start,,so figured maybe the valves leakin thru and pulled the head and some carbon built up but valves and  seats are clean,,,WTF,,? filled cylinder with ATF/Acetone mix and let it set for a few days,,sure didn't want to break it down any farther cause this piston has to come out the btm of engine,,BFJ,,,chit,,,chit,,!!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 7:07am
Yeah I KNOW Princess Auto...have since '77 when I bought Willys parts from them out in Winterpeg. The USED to have a HUGE selection of true surplus stuff, best local place for hyrdraulics and trailer stuff and  NO problems returning anything, even after a year !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 1:53pm
Just throw that tank away and find a plastic one. You know I'm right.😊
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 4:30pm
I thought that white vinegar was for cleaning stuff up?  And ACV was for cooking, drinking, pickling, etc..
I've been wrong before.....Just ask my ex....she'll tell ya! LOL
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic