This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Side By Side

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Side By Side
    Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 6:19pm
What is everyone’s opinions on Side by Side UTV’s . I’m looking at getting something to use around the farm and be able to trail ride some too. I have been eyeing the Honda Pioneer and Polaris. But I’m open to other options.
1960 D-12,1948 WC, 1973 160, 1977 175, 1984 6060
Sponsored Links

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 7:19pm
Most guys I know have the Polaris but closest neighbor has the Honda. Not sure you can go wrong with either one.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 7:24pm
I have  Polaris   very happy with it.  Motor starts and runs excellent  and it is a 2004 model.  Just got done rebuilding the front suspension.  If any one ever has to do that remember the tie rod ends are  LEFT hand threads!
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 9:56pm
I just saw an ad with a Bobcat side x side for sale, has a dump box, cab, and is a 2016 model. they want $47,500. for it. we use EZGO workhorse units here. have 2 of them. one gasser and one electric. if you put the HF trailer tires on the front and mud/snow tires on the rear they'll go about anywhere. there is a company (forget where now) that makes these into 4x4's. I have less than $5000. in both of them. I've seen so many newer ones disinagrate, people must tear the %$^#& out of them, plus they must have more money than me. maybe i'm to cheap? yeah that must be it! I do think that the Polaris ones are the better of all of them tho. I know their snow mobiles were.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 10:24pm
The Bobcat's are a governed Polaris. We have one a work.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 11:04pm

A couple of years ago, My Son bought a Can-Am Commander two seater with a small bed. It is one mountain climbing son of a gun with 4X4 and a 1000 CC engine,,,but the absolutely best feature is the suspension with some real long reach shocks that make trail riding a dream. That thing does not bounce you around like some I've been on,,,,he never would tell me how much he paid for it,,,,,,,WinkWink
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 11:24pm
Joe...it prolly bounces more after YOU gits outta it!!! (poke,poke)
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 6:13am
I have a Kubota 850 sidekick, had it about 6 months now and have 500+ miles on it.   It is a great unit has a Subaru gas engine will go 40 mph ride is smooth. It has 4 wheel drive and power steering, I got the cab with heater option.   No complaints. 
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 6:49am
I have a 2014 Polaris 570 and really like it. I just put a hard cab, heater and windshield wiper on it this year, also have a winch and 66" snow plow for it. It works great for chores around the farm and is also fun to take for a spin on the trails.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 7:05am
Been flirting with the idea for quite some time as well, not much online for reviews or quality on these machines so far guess as to being so recent add to markets.   Do hold their price tag for some time as well with used units near to as expensive as new. I deal with an old Kawasaki four wheeler that is as tired as all my other machines, just cannot get far enough ahead to justify spending on one yet even with Farm deduction.
Randy WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 7:36am
We have a 2018 Polaris Ranger 900 xp it is an absolute beast we skid logs for the saw mill haul gravel collect Maple sap  and just about every thing you can think of it will do it but it does like gas. I would buy it again if I didn't have it. Randy
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 8:27am
I have a Kubota 500 . Loud and slow but with 4 wheel drive and differential lock it will go anywhere I want to go . little underpowered and slow ( top speed 25 mph going down a hill with a stiff breeze at your back ). Basically a glorified golf cart . At least it is the right color .

Edited by Pat the Plumber CIL - 14 Dec 2019 at 8:28am
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 8:42am
Growing up with a Polaris dealer in the family back east, kin all still run 4-wheelers, sleds and side x sides year round.
Years ago we all pitched in and bought our parents a Yamaha gas cart for use on their 10 acres, late 80's or early 90's model that is still used by family as parents have passed on. In 2013, found one for myself here in TX, early 90's model gas cart that has been bulletproof. Dealer wanted 1200.00 back then for a lift kit including keeping all my original suspension/tires and wheels and I passed. Had them build a rack for the back after confirming the "work carts" used at golf courses used the same basic machine for grounds work. My place is pretty flat, no hills to speak of and when it rains, well I have tractors for that if I really want to get out onto the 100 acre lease pasture attached to my place. Have brought in hog tied calves, hauled rocks and plenty of feed sacks and the damned thing just won't quit.
Did make all my man gates sized for a Kawasaki side x side as did not think the ol' Yammers would make it more that a couple years and I believe most side x sides are close on width dimensions. The cart has been in some nasty brush but if you will trail ride, would not do it even if "lifted".
Don't think a fella could go wrong with the Polaris, I just like the Kawasaki as I
have seen a number of even 2WD units going back 20+ years that are still in use on ranches. Is the Honda worth the extra money? Maybe as they will also go forever.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 11:58am
I have a Kubota RTV 900. Diesel powered and goes about anywhere except for deep snow. I use it a lot around the farm. I have raked hay,rolled the lawn,got a 12 volt sprayer for keeping weeds and brush under control. I use it when hunting. I have to hide it really good as the orange color stands out! As for trail riding it would work but top speed is 25 mph. I use it to cut firewood as you can drive around the trees to get to the one you are cutting up,load it and dump as it has a hydraulic box. Also has remote couplers so a snow plow or other attachment could be powered. For me it's the right hand machine. Others may want a go fast good for them! Downfall is the price they are not cheap,but like all Kubota equipment well built!
H Clark View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 3:51pm
Thanks for the response guys. I have looked around a little today. I kinda like the Kawasaki mule pro FXR. Seems like everyone is right at the 15,000 price range. I hate to spend that on one. I could buy another tractor or two for that money 😂
1960 D-12,1948 WC, 1973 160, 1977 175, 1984 6060
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 7:12pm
What about the ones they have at TSC? The ones I've seen go for about 8 grand. That's a lot, but I'm sure the other brands are higher. They might be ok, but I figured parts would be hard to get for them. I guess if I was going to get one I would get a Kubota diesel of some sort. It would seem more like a farm tool rather than a recreational vehicle to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic