This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hunting Orange

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 3:40pm
Wink You folks with hunting season in the cold got it made. LOL Unlike out here where deer hunting is a hot weather thing. More meat has been made less desireable by all the beginners reading the how it from the traditional colder season hunting how to.Ouch You need to get the hid off and the guts out as soon as possible.Now days as small as are deer are just put them in a refrigertor. But when I was a kid you let it hang in the shade with a cheese cloth to keep bugs off and in the morning rap it in a blanket and put it in the coolest place you had. And hang it back out every night until you cut it and froze it. With all that some wanted it to hang 4 or 5 days before cutting which seemed to be ok.

But I have always thought most people that complained about venison being to gamy had some that was not properly cared for.

Having shoot 3 bucks that are at the top end of what we grow here,it been 20 years since I have hunter deer. Always cut my own deer and wild hogs. All the real work after the fun part of hunting has a lot to do with not going. All the "stockholders" that moan and grown if they cannot drive out and shot one any day they show up has not encouraged my hunting ether. So now my son tries to not shot on the family stockholder property unless they all have their meat in the freezer ether.

But there are always hog not that they can be shot every day but with hunting all year just wait they will be back.

So I wish you good luck to all that still have some hunting season and a tag left.

Sponsored Links

NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 4:42pm
smoke a rear ham
 put it out with cheese and crackers at a get together
people who claim they don't like deer will be asking where do you get that?

HD3
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 7:14pm
Dave, I will have my daughter check out those videos and also watch them myself. This old dog could probably learn a few things also.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

I still have  97 12 Ga pump.  I really do not care what the final resting place is for it, but it has a home as long as I can clean it and admire it once a year.

Lots of memories there.

hopefully it will find a good home.

Dave,
I kind of kick myself about my uncles 12 gage "97". I had a chance to buy it and messed around and did not do it!. Do I need it? NO! But I had my grandfathers and my dad's 97's in 16 gage. I have given these to our oldest son and hope at some point they go to his boy and grandkids! Something about those old 'corn shuckers' that get the heart racing! A bird goes up and you see how many times that old clackity clack gun will go off! The 12 gages would knock a big fox squirrel out of the top of a beech tree where a 16 would just tickle it!
Hang on to that 97 and get it out and rub it down with some oil and bring back some memories!

I think I was about 10 the first time I shot the 16 of my grandfathers. It had been handled so much that the bluing was long gone. The steel was smooth. 
I had it reblued when our son the current owner was born in 1972. We haven't hunted with it much since then, so it still looks pretty good. 
My dad's 16 we found above a furnace duct when we were cleaning the basement. It was in sad shape. I sanded it smooth and had it reblued about 15 years ago. Our son took it one one deer hunt a couple years ago and hit a tree instead of the nice buck he saw.

They all have a story. If they could only talk!
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

[QUOTE=Sugarmaker]

Chris, like you and your son I process my own and it does make you think twice before pulling that trigger. That is when the work starts. My daughter told me a few weeks ago that she wants me to teach her how to skin and process a deer and she doesn't even hunt. And she wants me to teach my granddaughter how to use a rifle. Granddaughter loves burning up grandpa's pistol ammo how there goes my rifle ammo too.

Hubert,
Awesome! These are skills that will be with them forever! So many folks never get to experience anything out side of Walmart! Sounds like you have some hunting lessons ahead too!
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 10:14am
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

I agree with many of you that hunting, skinning and processing the meat from your kill is skills that many hunters lack! A local processor now charges an extra $30 to gut deer! And I have talked to men who worked for him for extra money telling of deer brought in with parts of the guts left in! Yesterday my son and his girlfriend came down from Kalamazoo to hunt and Lydia shot a big Doe. I helped them retrieve and gut the Doe giving advice and actually getting my hands bloody showing her how. She has elected to have a local processor cut and wrap and make the sausage as Deer from our area can't be transported whole out of the CWD disease area which is nothing more than a Government Boondoggle! Yes we could cut and wrap here as that has been done many times past but Klinemar believes in letting his Children make their own decisions and he also believes Klinemar would have done the majority of the work! I am just happy Lydia hunts and shoots and will get her hands bloody! And Nate brings her along!

Klinemar has some blood on his hands! That was usually good luck to get a deer if you had not got one yet! Great that you helped and taught them about gutting the deer. Tell her congratulations from a old man in Pennsylvania! Yes I let my kids and grandkids decide where they are going to to process their deer. Sometimes the weather is a big factor.
We have several butcher shops around here. the cost can be $100 for processing a average sized deer if you want some specialty meats made. My grandson married a hunter they each got bucks and does this year and have there freezer stocked for the winter. 

Here is grandson Nic with his 8 point:

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 17 Dec 2019 at 10:15am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Wink You folks with hunting season in the cold got it made. LOL Unlike out here where deer hunting is a hot weather thing. More meat has been made less desireable by all the beginners reading the how it from the traditional colder season hunting how to.Ouch You need to get the hid off and the guts out as soon as possible.Now days as small as are deer are just put them in a refrigertor. But when I was a kid you let it hang in the shade with a cheese cloth to keep bugs off and in the morning rap it in a blanket and put it in the coolest place you had. And hang it back out every night until you cut it and froze it. With all that some wanted it to hang 4 or 5 days before cutting which seemed to be ok.

But I have always thought most people that complained about venison being to gamy had some that was not properly cared for.

Having shoot 3 bucks that are at the top end of what we grow here,it been 20 years since I have hunter deer. Always cut my own deer and wild hogs. All the real work after the fun part of hunting has a lot to do with not going. All the "stockholders" that moan and grown if they cannot drive out and shot one any day they show up has not encouraged my hunting ether. So now my son tries to not shot on the family stockholder property unless they all have their meat in the freezer ether.

But there are always hog not that they can be shot every day but with hunting all year just wait they will be back.

So I wish you good luck to all that still have some hunting season and a tag left.

Ray,
 Thanks! Your comments are right on the mark! The meat needs to be handled just like a good beef! We skin them as soon as we get he deer home. If the weather is cool we may let it hang a day or more to tighten up some and be easier to cut up. 

Here is a picture of our grandaughter, Addison munching on some kielbasi I made from the doe. She's a eater for sure. May never be a hunter??
We have to have a Ritz cracker ,venison kielbasi, NY sharp cheese, and a dollop of Maple BBQ.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 17 Dec 2019 at 10:33am
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 5:58pm
This is alittle bit off of the subject but-I was at the cabin today to meet with a forester and logger. We have a poaching problem on the road at the bottom of our property so I will drive that road just to see if anything may be going on. I could see where someone had stopped in a few places along the road. One place looked like someone had dragged something out. I walked in just a short ways and saw a leg. I pulled on the leg and found a deer. It was a buck as the rack was cut off. I turned it over and it was totally field dressed and no meat taken from it. I don't know if someone dumped it there and was coming back but it wasn't that old and I think it had been covered with snow. Sorry Chris if I hyjacked your post but I don't understand why some people do what they do. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 8:02pm
Mdm1,
No problem you needed to get this off your chest and I think every hunter and property owner can relate. Now you be careful out there These guys are armed and may be dangerous. Why would they gut it! But the whole poaching thing is bad!
Not my thread or forum its ours! How about game cameras?
 Regards,
 Chris
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 5:45pm
Like mdm1 says, Orange is 50%.  And we USED to have back tags, but not anymore.  They were nice for turning someone in for violating.  Now you've gott a see their vehicle and plate # to turn em in.  You used to have to take them to some place to register them before you could take them home and cut em up.  Now you can register it on line, AFTER you have it in the garage, hanging.  How smart is that?  They are saying that the kill is down 20% this year.  I wonder if that registration has anything to do with that, or just NO deer.  I never saw one in the woods by the farm, but could have hit a few on the road going or coming.

Stan IL&TN, with that much acerage, you could hunt it and no one would know.  Isn't there some way to have that as your address also??  I'd petition somebody for help.  What state is the farm in?  If it's in IL, I'd sell and buy in TN in a heart beat.  Very few liberals in Tennessee and NONE of their governors in prison.

Used to be in WI that you had to be handicapped to hunt with a crossbow.  Now ANYONE can do it.  I still like my recurve but it is getting harder to pull it.  Maybe one of these days I'll give a compound a try.

I've got a 7600 also, but in .280 caliber.  I can reach out a long way and it's very accurate cause I reload.  I started hunting back in the early 60s with my first gun, a Western Field 12 gauge and killed a LOT of geese with it too.  Used to go out to North Dakota to hunt them and ducks.  Back then you could ask any farmer to hunt their land and they'd say yes every time.  They hated the dang things.  One guy I used to help on the farm would let me ride along with him in the combine and he'd crawl right into the middle of the gaggle and then stop and throw open the doors and we'd blast away.  A LOT of fun and it kept us in food all winter.  Along with the goose permit, you'd get a small game permit also.  You could hunt grouse or squirrels.  you ever see a squirrel in ND?  Nope, me either.  There aren't any trees!! LOL  Hunted quite a few years, but never got a deer with it.

I've got game cameras up, and I mean up in trees.  They're hidden by bird houses built around them.  I've had guys SHOOT them when they weren't hidden, thinking they'll get away with it.  Then the sheriff knocks on their door...OOPS... one was a neighbor.  Now I'm an ahole.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 7:06pm
Ted, Folks,
We dont have to wear back tags anymore either. Just have to carry the license with you when hunting. 
For some odd reason I got the itch to go coyote hunting. I have never tried it. They are not thick around here, but they are here. 
Guys were driving our road the other morning looking for fresh tracks in the snow. Must have found some, there were four or five trucks waiting while one guy tracked them out. Just seems like something old farts like me could do?? Any tips? Gun/ caliber of choice? I would have to buy another gun then too!
Was in the local gun shop today and seen a really nice Gamemaster 760 with my wifes birth date in the serial number. Bluing was real nice not perfect but very little wear. It was talking to me real hard! They wanted $500 for it no scope. Was chambered in '06. Hey scopes can get a little pricey too! I seen several there for $1000! 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 19 Dec 2019 at 7:08pm
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 5:51am
By our cabin they run coyotes with dogs. You see their trucks on the road waiting to cut off the coyotes. I think they may even shoot from the road. I tried with a e-call for a short time. Never did much but really didn't work too hard at it. I have put old cameras up in a tree and put a piece of surveyers tape by it so everyone could see it. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 6:36am
Coyote hunters around here use the same dogs they run bears up north. I think they just run the coyotes to their hole. Some hunters go at night with red lights and calls they have success. Usually the night hunters have a combination of weapons meaning one guy with a shotgun and another with a rifle usually in 22/250,223,243 or 6.5 creedmoor. Michigan DNR says can't use any caliber over 264 at night. "I don't know who thought that rule up"? I am going to give day calling a try next month when the coyotes are mating.
Creek Jenkins View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 2:36pm
My brother had good luck with a Johnny Stewart electric call and a 12 gage with 3 1/2" magnums. Around here you need to be careful not to shoot the ones with the long noses as they are off limits. Body size is much bigger, but if you are just looking thru a scope you can lose the sense of scale. If they come in close enough for shotgun work, most of the time they are okay, although he did have a close encounter once with a wolf that came within 20 yards.
He has since switched to a .223 so he doesn't have to wait for them to come in close, I load 50 grain Barnes Burners or 55 gr Hornaday V max for him over a compressed charge of Varget, they do a pretty good job on a coyote.    
cheers,
Creek
Have spacesuit, will travel
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 11:10pm
Dang you guys and gals are lucky getting to use a highpower. We have 1st shotgun season, bow season, 2nd shotgun, and muzzle loader season. Back to back seasons. That might not be the correct sequence. If you are caught with a rifle they will take it, you will receive a ticket and most likely never see your fire arm again. Yet the dang DNR admits this area of the States had more deer per square mile than anywhere else in the States. We can't raise corn, beans, hay on a 20 acre files. The deer will completely destroy it. We are demanding the State government do something about it.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 6:32am
In Iowa the seasons start October 1 with bow. Then early muzzleloader, 1st shotgun, 2nd shotgun, then late muzzleloader. Bow season runs concurrent with muzzleloader. I don't know if they still have special late season antlerless as I'm done hunting by then. Iowa has recently approved straight wall ammunition for long guns during shotgun season as well. Last I checked, Madison county had one of the highest number of doe tag licenses available. Blue tongue and EHD are also very high in that area.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic