This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timing ignition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing ignition
    Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 7:42pm
Yes when the engine is just ready to fire #1 you'll want the rotor to be pointing at #1 in the dist. cap. which is about 1:30. You should be close enough to start and run. If you have 12V timing light just power it up with a 12V batt. sitting close by. Hope this helps.      Leon
Sponsored Links

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by MattLF9 MattLF9 wrote:

I assume it's static timing.
Doubt they had timing lights back then but I could be wrong.

Sure they did, they used kerosene!LOLLOLLOL

I'm thinking you are bringing up to TDC on cylinder one by hand, not running or cranking.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
MattLF9 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattLF9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 7:32pm
I assume it's static timing.
Doubt they had timing lights back then but I could be wrong.
A little CQB never hurt anybody.
HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 4:07pm
"Center" always mean when cylinder #1 is at Top Dead Center on the power stroke.

On other Allis tractors (I hedge because I have never dealt with your model) "Spark" would mean when the plug should fire when the engine is running at normal speed, some degrees before the piston reaches TDC. 
1951 B
Wot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 3:01pm
Hi guys,

I have a question in order to fine tune the ignition of an A / 20-45 engine.

The repair manual says: SPARK on flywheel indicating the point where contact points begin to open for nr 1. Is this while cranking the engine or with engine running?

Where should SPARK or CENTER on the flyweel need to stand; is it in center of the gap? Or is there a point to line it with?

Thanks!

Edited by Wot - 13 Dec 2019 at 3:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic