This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 Loose shaft/arm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 Loose shaft/arm
    Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 9:17am

[TUBE]LViGPKjA7dk[/TUBE] 

Is there any way to fix this short of replacing the parts?
Sponsored Links

Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 9:52am
Mines probably worse than that, unfortunately... mind if I follow along to see the repair?
Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 11:07am
the couple that i have done, I built  male shaft splines up with a bead of weld and reground it till it fit tight. 
D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 11:25am
Do both pieces wear a lot or is the wear mostly in the female splines? Can a good metal shop make a new female spline piece to weld in place of old piece?
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 12:58pm
I fixed the flywheel on a 2,500 ton forge press, by filling the gap with an epoxy.
 I can't for the life of me, remember the brand name of it.
 I made a plate that bolted to the shaft, used wedges to kinda line up the flywheel , then used a plastic syringe to fill in the gap. Let it set for 24 hours and they ran that machine 24-7 for about 6 months, till they got parts ahead enough to tear it down and have other repairs done .
 My brother did a fix like that on a 1300 ton forge press and a year or 2 later I had to tear that press down for a rebuild. We put a LP burner on the shaft, and flywheel hub to get it to just over 600 degrees F and pulled it apart with a 60 ton porta power jack.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 13 Dec 2019 at 1:01pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 1:28pm
OK, humour me ( 2 hrs 'sleep' last night...) 
What about adding thin steel 'shims' vertically to 'take up the slack' between the faces of the gears or splines or whatever's the proper term( they LOOK like gears to me..)
Maybe something like 'banding strapping', a tough , thin steel.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 5:27pm
Permatex has a 5 minute epoxy, that should fix it right up for $5 or less.
Suggested Applications: Complex, multi-piece assemblies. Bonds rigid materials including ceramic, chrome, fabric, fiberglass, glass, hard plastic, metal and rubber

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 13 Dec 2019 at 5:28pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 6:38pm
I suppose a cheap fix would be to weld it in two or three spots..... you can always grind it apart again
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 7:34pm
I wonder if you cleaned it real good and then forced in the JB Weld for wet applications that you knead to mix?  That stuff is pretty strong.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 8:14pm
Is there room enough to drill in a couple holes,weld nuts to hold set screws on the outside
piece and then tighten up as tight as possible?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 8:36am
Replace the shaft seal so there's no worries about oil leaks. With a rosebud on your torch, warm up the splined area collar on the arm til it's red all the way around and let it cool down  enough to not damage the new seal. Drive the arm into place and let it cool fully. Consider driving it on so far that it binds up on the splines and forget the roll pin. Weld on the bottom to solidify the repair. Weld can always be ground off if needed, but why would you need to with a new seal above it ??  Heating it red and then allowing it to cool off on it's own will shrink it to fit tighter on the worn shaft.

Edited by DrAllis - 14 Dec 2019 at 9:04am
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 8:07pm
that's a pretty slick trick there Dr nice responses everyone
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic