This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Government Surplus Cheese

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Government Surplus Cheese
    Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 10:23am
Not the modern government "cheese", which is NOT in surplus.......for this, I'm thinking of the old Commodity Credit surplus cheese they used to give away back in the 60's, etc.

Everyone raves about how good it was. My question is.....what was it? A processed cheese like American or Velvetta.......or what????

Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 10:26am
Back when we were starting a family and I was receiving $2,50 an hour, we signed up and recieved some in bricks. And that's what it was. Hard as bricks and tasted probably much the same. Old gal made grilled cheese sandwiches from a lot of it.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 10:36am
I had a roommate in college that would bring a brick of it from home.  Was not a processed cheese as I recall like an American or Velveeta.  It was......alright.  Not fantastic, but not bad. 
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 10:36am
I remember getting those as a kid, I thought it was good but that is all I know about it.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 11:11am
It was just a hard cheddar, also remember the peanut butter, had to stir forever to get the oil back together @fter it separated
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 1:06pm
I used to get the cheese from the neighbor.  I liked it, it tasted good to me.  That was back in the 80s.   It took a long time for two people to eat a brick.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 1:25pm
I remember it,,What was. The reasoning behind it being given out by the Govt? Too much dairy products and they were trying to use up milk?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 3:31pm

Dang,,,I don't remember the cheese,,,just cannot remember,,,but I DO remember the canned meat that came in a big can, like a 303 size that looked a lot like Spam,,, none of the family like'ed it but I sure did,,!! I would slice  bout a 1/4" slice and  fry it on the stove or take some outside and build a small fire and roast a few pieces over the fire,,,,MMMMM Good,,!!!!ClapClap remember the peanut butter too,,,,Clap
naylorbros View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naylorbros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 4:19pm
My grandfather got some honey once when he went to pick up his cheese.  It was black as molasses and tasted horrible for someone who was use to clover type honeys

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 4:28pm

Government cheese is processed cheese provided to welfare beneficiaries, Food Stamp recipients, and the elderly receiving Social Security in the United States, as well as to food banks. This processed cheese was used in military kitchens during World War II and has been used in schools since the 1950s.

Government cheese is a commodity cheese that was controlled by the US federal government from World War II to the early 1980s. Government cheese was created to maintain the price of dairy when dairy industry subsidies artificially increased the supply of milk and created a surplus of milk that was then converted into cheese, butter, or powdered milk. The cheese, along with the butter and dehydrated powder, was stored in over 150 warehouses across 35 states.[1]

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 4:36pm
a lot of that has been turned into the Govt SNAP program.......
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 5:30pm
I don't remember the cheese......but do remember the peanut butter, honey, canned meats, grits, etc. They fed a lot of that stuff to us at school. Mix the PB and honey 50:50 and it was pretty good. Still do that today

I think there were some things preferred over others. What some didn't eat, they threw away. My grandmother and great aunt used to drive out to the city dump to retrieve the canned meats. I fed a lot of it to my hunting dogs this time of year when they were getting run down. Had another aunt that always brought garlic cheese grits to family gatherings. She said they didn't come from the dump.......but I wasn't too sure. Tasted good though.

BTW, concerning what they fed us at school.....first deer meat I ever ate was at school......somebody hit one with a car and our superintendent went out and picked it up and dressed it. They actually fed us road kill at school.

Times have changed.

Edited by modirt - 12 Dec 2019 at 5:34pm
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 5:47pm
I remember in grade school getting cheese and milk for morning break. I thought it was good but sometimes had mold.
They made these big flat pans full of grill cheese sandwiches last that were so good. I wish I knew how to make that dough.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 6:07pm
"NACHO CHEESE"
ONE DAY 3 GENTLEMEN WENT TO THE LOCAL FOOD PANTRY ONLY TO FIND THAT THE FOOD PANTRY HAD CLOSED ONLY 5 MINUTES BEFORE THEY GOT THERE.
KNOWING THAT THEIR FAMILY HAD NOTHING TO EAT AT HOME , THEY DECIDED TO ROB SOME OF THE OTHER PEOPLE WHO WERE FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO GET THERE ON TIME.
AFTER A LITTLE THOUGHT THEY DECIDED THAT THE BIGGEST AND EASIEST ITEM TO STEAL WOULD BE THE BLOCKS OF GOVERNMENT CHEESE THAT THE OTHER MEN HAD GOTTEN,AND AFTER ROBBING THEM THEY WOULD MEET BACK UP LATER.
AFTER ROBBING THE MEN THEY MET UP AND STARTED DISCUSSING WHAT KIND OF CHEESE THEY HAD ALL GOTTEN,TWO OF THE MEN STATED THAT THEY HAD GOTTEN AMERICAN CHEESE AND TO THEIR AMAZEMENT THE THIRD MAN STOOD AND SAID HAHA I GOT NACHO CHEESE
HOW DO YOU KNOW SAID THE OTHER TWO MEN?THE THIRD MAN REPLIED...WHEN I TOOK IT FROM THAT BLACK MAN HE STARTED SCREAMING NACHO CHEESE NACHO CHEESE
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 6:38pm
When I was a very young lad, my dad was a Carpenter, and would occasionally get laid off, a couple of years in the mid '60's I think he was laid off more than he worked. In any case there was some tough times there. I know we got the cheese, peanut butter, flour, I think corn meal, honey and/or molasses, etc. I could be wrong about some of these, and I could be missing some.
Anyhow, I cant say what the cheese was, I seem to remember it being hard and kind of resembling cheddar cheese in texture and taste.....but that was 60+ years ago.
I do remember my brother and I preferring the cheese and peanut butter to the store bought stuff.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 10:04am
Used to get a 5 lb brick of Bongards Yellow American Cheese at the Mpls Armory 2wice a month along with other staples back in 78-79. That cheese was the best and is still a great cheese, I loved having it melted on thick potato slices fried in fat. It is also made here in good ol MN.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 7:40pm
DiyDave  LMBO!!   that was funny

We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by modirt modirt wrote:

I don't remember the cheese......but do remember the peanut butter, honey, canned meats, grits, etc. They fed a lot of that stuff to us at school. Mix the PB and honey 50:50 and it was pretty good. Still do that today

We always had PB and honey sandwiches at school, I too fix them when I don't feel like fixing something that takes longer.  Don't eat chili without a PB and honey sandwich.
Maximum use of available resources!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 9:38pm
I don't remember any of that stuff, Mom always used Velveeta on our grilled cheeze samwiches. I see there is still the PB on store shelves that you have to stir up cuz the oil is all at the top of the jar. I saw sum "hard" honey the other day, you hafta slice it to put it on anything. HD6DTOM has GREAT honey he sells.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 10:20pm
Fresh homemade bread, honey/PB mix and cheddar cheese and a glass of cold milk!

Now that's good eatin' Clark!

Edited by LouSWPA - 13 Dec 2019 at 10:33pm
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 11:24pm

The thing I distinctly remember about commodities day,,was our Mother would rotate the 4 oldest boys to take her to help load all them groceries,,,cause there were a good number of us hanging around our table,,,,,WinkWink
 Is used to hate when it was my turn, thinkin we would run into somebody from schoolWink
 There was this dude that was the singer for the band we used to compete against and his parents would let him drive their BRAND NEW CAR to school on Fridays,,,,chit i was lucky if our 20 year survivor clunker Plymouth would make it to the city limits so I had to either  hitch hike, beg a ride,,or catch the bus. SO,,this one time it was my turn and when I get to the distribution center,,,there right in front of the place was this shiny, bright RED Dodge FURY that sure looked like Henry's family's car. As Me and Mom is walkin towards the place,,,who could that be walkin out under 2 big boxes of groceries,,,,than ole Henry himself,,,!!!! followed by his mother with 2 boxes herself,,AND his older brother TOO,,,!!  Henry was hidin his face but ,,,My Mother insisted that I go and say HI, before thay left,,,,So I did ,,!!! That knocked his di** in the dirt,,,and he sure was a great friend after that and would always give me a ride til I got my first car,,,,Clap 
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 10:49am
shameless,  that was government cheese your mom put in a Velveeta box so you kids would eat it and not be embarrassed.   I never got surplus myself but had it given to me by others.    My daughter was always very picky what she ate and took.  She has taken  a lot of generic aspirin out of a Bayer bottle.     It took her a couple of years to find it out,  but I remember the hell I caught when she discovered that I took the bulb out of the "check engine" light.   I still hear the echo.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Used to get a 5 lb brick of Bongards Yellow American Cheese at the Mpls Armory 2wice a month along with other staples back in 78-79. That cheese was the best and is still a great cheese, I loved having it melted on thick potato slices fried in fat. It is also made here in good ol MN.

American cheese makes sense. Easy to make and easy for recipients to use in quantity.

Now that I think about it, about that era my mom used to make us pimento cheese a lot, and she made it from big solid blocks of American cheese. Ran it through a grater. It was the best I've ever had. Nothing commercial made today even comes close.

But to my knowledge, we didn't get the government stuff. My grandmother had 3 houses she rented, and I think most of her tenants might have qualified.  I seem to recall she took some of the surplus they didn't eat, besides what they salvaged from the dump. Grandmother was about 3rd generation German who went through the depression. You guys know the type. Nothing was thrown away or went to waste. So she nabbed it and gave it to us.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 9:02pm
Seems it was a mild Chedar - nothing wrong with it and tasted just as good as the 5 pound block one could buy in any store . 
 Inlaws would pick it up about every other month and split it with wife - kids loved it 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 11:09pm
I get the 4 lb blocks of bongards cheese at the factory in perham. They produced the government cheese back in the 70s mom volunteered at the leigon handing commodity's out and sometimes got a block. It's a processed American cheese made from grade A cheddar. The factory in perham still makes it the same way as they did for the government. It's very like a harder version of velvetta, It makes the best grilled cheese sandwiches.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic