This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

262 Head Bolts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 262 Head Bolts
    Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 6:00am
I'm rebuilding a 262 diesel in a D17 series 4. Am thinking of getting new head bolts, but they are quite spendy from AGCO. I've heard of arps studs, are these what I should go with, or perhaps just grade 8 bolts from Fastenal or the like? What do you recommend? Maybe the old ones are still good, but since I'm this far in, I don't want to have trouble down the road. Thanks for any and all replies!
Sponsored Links

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 6:20am
We used ARP head bolts. Engine design does not have enough bolts so good bolts are critical. ARP are more than double the tensile strength of Grade 8. Sleeve stand out of .004 and a proper diesel head gasket are also critical.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
MattLF9 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattLF9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 6:33am
I once got "grade 8" bolts from Fastenal for an Oliver 1555 diesel.
Went to torque these new head bolts down and they stretched like they were made of butter.
Grade 8's don't stretch a half inch at the threads, they should snap.

Edited by MattLF9 - 12 Dec 2019 at 6:33am
A little CQB never hurt anybody.
DCAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 6:56am
Thanks, gentlemen for your replies! Calvin, where did you get these bolts? Was there a kit or part number that you used, and if so, would you happen o know that number?
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 7:27am
I got the ARP bolts from Norm Meinert. His business was sold to Pfouts Family Farm
Mark Pfouts. Hopefully he has them. 1-440-570-3653 pfoutsfamilyfarm@gmail.com
I got rod bolts for a D-21 from Agco and they were stamped ARP. Maybe the 262 heads bolts from Agco are ARP.  ARP bolts are not cheap !
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Pfouts Family Farm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pfouts Family Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 8:22am
Yes, we normally have the ARP head stud kits for both the WD-45 D230 and also for the D17/D19 D262 engines in stock. If for whatever reason they are out of stock, I can usually get them within a week or so.

I am also more than willing to help with any other ARP bolt/stud needs.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 11:50am
the correct nut is also a must i think the wrong nuts are even worse than the wrong stud
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 3:16pm
See if you can cross them to a Caterpillar head bolt. That's the go to on a D282 IH. High quality upgrade that's cheaper than ARP's.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 8:46pm
1/2 fine three lug nuts will work. Good fire rings are more important than bolts, nuts or gasket.        MACK
DCAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 2:33pm
Thanks, Gentlemen, for all the advice and replies, parts are on order!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic