This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question for Georgia cotton growers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question for Georgia cotton growers
    Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 2:23pm
Just got home from a recent trip that included I-16 from Macon to Savannah, GA.  Along the way we saw a few fields of cotton that hadn't been harvested yet.

Now, I'm a central Illinois boy that's always been around corn and soybeans.  So, can someone tell me why some of the cotton fields haven't been harvested yet?
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 4:45pm
No idea on the cotton but that I16 is a long, long road. Last time I was through there I didn't see much more than pine trees and emergency phones
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 8:42pm
I am not a cotton farmer nor do I play one on tv but I would think it would have something to do with moisture content or waiting for frost to kill off all the foliage and they probably haven't had a good frost yet. Don't think we have any Forum members that are from that area that could give us a real answer. 

You are right, Tyler, not much on I-16, just Macon on one end and Savannah on the other. Long, long road in July or August driving a deuce and a half to or from Camp Swampy.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 11:45pm
Maybe our friend Creston can answer that question as he was on the Allis Connection calendar for October, in his cotton harvester.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 7:15am
Just Wait A Cotton Pickin Minute, and it'll get harvested. Wink  I couldn't resist as I've heard that Wait A Cotton Pickin Minute phrase way too many times in my life.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 7:31am
what's the difference between a 'cotton pickin minuet' and a 'new York minuet'?
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 7:32am
With the spring some areas in the south had I'd say it may have been planted late and didn't mature. Just a guess
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 8:00am
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

No idea on the cotton but that I16 is a long, long road. Last time I was through there I didn't see much more than pine trees and emergency phones

You've sure got that right!  It's a two and a half hour drive with not much scenery other than trees.  We travel it about three times a year going down to visit our son at Hilton Head Island, SC.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 9:30am
A"New York minute" is 30 seconds because the City moves twice as fast as anywhere else. A "Cotton picking minute" is 60 seconds as in when the first Cotton picking machine was invented to pick cotton in 60 seconds.

But I could be wrong, I have been before. Wink
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 9:44am
Wait a cotton pickin minute can be an eternity but a New York minute can happen in a blink of an eye. Now the real question is ,Which is more fun?
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 1:53pm
Just came across i 26 last week and saw bales of cotton wrapped with blue and also yellow plastic instead of big square cubes of cotton. Must have a new style cotton picker
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 4:09pm
Drove by a cotton field today that hasn't been picked yet . Dunno why though .
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 4:25pm
The couple of fields that I saw were closer to Savannah than Macon so it would have been on the eastern part of the state.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 5:06pm
Next time you come through stop for a visit if you have time. We'll be in Fairmount
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 9:29pm
there is still some over here in west Texas that has not been picked yet.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 9:31am
"Gone in a NY minute" usually referenced how fast something was stolen!
More a NYC reference, we used to chuckle at how the "downstate" references labelled everyone in the state and most of us upstate never even ventured down to the "big city".
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 10:17am
I see Lou is speaking of minuets.  LOLLOLLOL
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 5:10pm
Cotton in the deep south is harvested with cotton pickers. Cotton pickers because they don't get the hard freezes to kill/defoliate the plant, like is needed to use a cotton stripper. But now with chemical defoliants, that reason's kinda out the window. Cotton strippers are used in the west TX and OK area which are a totally different machine but get the same end result. 
Cotton used to be harvested with a cotton picker twice a season. This was while the plant still had all the foliage. Some bolls would be open, and the picker harvests the exposed lint. Some bolls would be immature and still closed, and those would be left on the plant to open and be harvested later. Pick the field twice to preserve lint quality, as the longer the lint is exposed to the elements, the lower the grade, and the less it sells for. Not sure if picking fields twice is common practice anymore or not. 
Humidity and lint moisture does play a role, because if the lint is damp when it's baled, the seeds in the lint will sprout, and the entire bale will be worthless. Most cotton processing gins in our area won't take sprouted cotton. 
And yes, tadams, the cotton round bales are relatively new technology, proprietary to John Deere. 
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 7:02pm
Creston, good to see you back on here. Out of school for the Christmas/New Year's break? 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 7:28pm
     As Eli Whitney once said, "get your cotton pickin' hands off my gin".
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 9:28am
Creston, thanks for the information.  I suppose those fields that I saw may have been picked once and were waiting on their second picking, as you suggest.

Learn something new everyday...
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

Creston, good to see you back on here. Out of school for the Christmas/New Year's break? 
Hi Hubert, yes they give us a month off for Christmas and New Years. Time to get to work on all the projects at home that have accumulated over the semester...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic