This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beaver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beaver
    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 8:59pm
Having a pond means every year usually around this time of year I get the pleasure of a beaver or two finding their way upstream to my pond. Considering the spillway runs under the only road into the farm I take pond maintenance seriously which includes making sure the beavers don’t dam the spillway up. Over the years I would go down to the pond late in the day and wait for the beaver to come out for a swim. We have tried every firearm we have and what usually works is a .30-.30
Or a .270. Couple of years ago I shot 38 times at one over the course of two months and finally got some snare traps and strung them up across the entrance to the spillway. I have had success with the snares but I shot one tonight in the snare with a .357 and it amazed me that two body shots did nothing and then it took two head shots to kill it. I usually use a .45 to kill in the snare but I decided to take the 6” .357 to do the deed. What do any of y’all that have shot beavers use?
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 11:31pm
I have the game commission transplant beavers to my place. they keep my pastures clean of brush and trees, and the work they do educates area children and some adults.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 5:08am
Originally posted by Red Bank Red Bank wrote:

Having a pond means every year usually around this time of year I get the pleasure of a beaver or two finding their way upstream to my pond. Considering the spillway runs under the only road into the farm I take pond maintenance seriously which includes making sure the beavers don’t dam the spillway up. Over the years I would go down to the pond late in the day and wait for the beaver to come out for a swim. We have tried every firearm we have and what usually works is a .30-.30
Or a .270. Couple of years ago I shot 38 times at one over the course of two months and finally got some snare traps and strung them up across the entrance to the spillway. I have had success with the snares but I shot one tonight in the snare with a .357 and it amazed me that two body shots did nothing and then it took two head shots to kill it. I usually use a .45 to kill in the snare but I decided to take the 6” .357 to do the deed. What do any of y’all that have shot beavers use?

No, absolutely NO comment!Wink

Edited by DiyDave - 08 Dec 2019 at 5:09am
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 5:31am
Some crazy Canuck (no, not me) figured out hw to get Beavers to build dams where HE wanted them,even a TV program about it. He saw tht beaver's buid dams to stop the running NOISEY water,so he took a walkman,taped to a post,plyed rushing waters and yup they built the dam THERE.
Last time I help  get rid of beaver dams I used 3 bundles of 5 yellow sticks and cord....they've never been back.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 9:54am
I have a friend of mine who traps.  He traps mostly bob cats on our place.  
 He has trapped beavers here and other places too.  The beavers we have are not a problem  in our creek.
Some years back, he was shipping the beaver pelts to somewhere near the Canadian border where they were shaved and plucked.
He than took the beaver and had them made into teddy bears.
I gave on to my girlfriend and she was thrilled.
There is nothing as sinfully soft as as shaved beaver teddy bear.  
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

I have a friend of mine who traps.  He traps mostly bob cats on our place.  
 He has trapped beavers here and other places too.  The beavers we have are not a problem  in our creek.
Some years back, he was shipping the beaver pelts to somewhere near the Canadian border where they were shaved and plucked.
He than took the beaver and had them made into teddy bears.
I gave on to my girlfriend and she was thrilled.
There is nothing as sinfully soft as as shaved beaver teddy bear.  

No way, no how am I touching that one!!!!!!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 11:59am
nope....nope….wouldn't be prudent!
Wait for the Lord;
marion View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 1:36pm
Beavers in this neck of the woods are protected,
If you have one move in on you they are very hard to get rid of, especially if they nest and birth offspring. They are cute and cuddly when young, but soon grow in to viscous territorial eating machines. They can be very destructive and costly to have removed. There have been a lot of documented cases of people abandoning all worldly possessions and leaving after fruitless efforts to get one to leave.

I can vouch for the cost of damages left in the wake of one leaving one den and setting up residence elsewhere. Since they are protected here, it seems to be common practice that they remove everything from past den and take it to new den, and sometimes the state lets previous owners of dens pay for both dens. it seems the best repellant to keep them off property is the leftover scent of an old one that has been nesting, or perhaps the visual signs of an empty den with all former furnishings removed
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 1:41pm
I think beaver is very tasty!

D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 1:44pm
No, absolutely NO comment!Wink   No way, no how am I touching that one!!!!!!  

Dave and Lou, your minds are in the gutter!

Edited by Hubert (Ga)engine7 - 08 Dec 2019 at 1:49pm
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 2:24pm
Depending on how far away they are!--ole 12ga long barrel, with 3"magnum bb loads will reach out a long ways! --- If way across the pond, I always used the 30-30, never had one get away! ----sure do miss that pond!
I used to trap them in a creek we had at one time with conibear #330's, ends things real quick with them!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 4:18pm
"What do any of y’all that have shot beavers use?"
if you are not shooting blanks , you may want to put a cover on the barrel.
Otherwise it can get very costly.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 4:42pm
Snaring and trapping really are the preferred way to go. Best is to use foot hold traps and a drowning wire out into deep water, secure both ends (on land and in water) well; other best is to use 330 body grips. Very humane and no need to shoot them with either method.
I trap, have been since 1968. Fur prices are lower than whale poop these days. The value in beaver pelts - tanked. Guys sell by the pound now, the fur is the only part used and is for making felt hats. The leather - I don't know what they do with it but it's considered a by-product. Maybe rawhide chew toys for dogs.
The real value of the animal today is the castoreum and oil sacs, by the pound they bring a LOT when prepared properly.
Hopefully your using the pelts and the castoreum/oil sacs, and - all adolescent kidding aside - beaver, THE RODENT, meat IS excellent table fare.
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 5:14pm
OK I have to since nobody else will. Wink
[TUBE]GaWjla_lYGk[/TUBE]
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 5:24pm
Not a fan of the .357, friend of mine called them, eargasplitting loud boomers.  They have a very irritating sound and I would much prefer a 45 Long Colt or a 44mag.  Now, if you don't have either, it is Christmas time.
Maximum use of available resources!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 5:29pm

[TUBE]knobmUd-r5E[/TUBE]
[TUBE]aRYqqcC3S8k[/TUBE]

Clink The Link Below Next

Edited by chaskaduo - 09 Dec 2019 at 5:19am
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 6:16pm
[TUBE]KrgC5VdLhHQ[/TUBE]

[TUBE]fRfs8LD-GS8[/TUBE]

Edited by DiyDave - 08 Dec 2019 at 6:19pm
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 6:25pm
Thanks for all the replies and tips. I have enjoyed reading them today and still tore up over the sinfully smooth shaved beaver. Tim I am sorry being in NC I have no resources on preparing the beaver. I did get a friend who was in taxidermy school to try to fix me a pelt. I still have it but it’s hard as a rock and he swore never to do one again. What I am using is some snare traps suspended by a dog chain stretched across the spillway. The beaver last night ruined three traps and if I remember correctly they were around $15 a piece. The ones last year I killed I shot with 1911 .45acp and mostly one head shot would do the trick. Considering my shots are about six feet away I am surprised at the .357 but I am more surprised the body shots didn’t phase it. Which I realize he was pumped up on adrenaline from being trapped and then me shining a light on him. I like the .44 idea and yes it would make a good Christmas present.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 9:54pm
If you are only six feet away, use a 12 ga. with a slug to the head.  It won't survive that!

BTW, they call that shaved beaver a Brazilian now adays!!Wink

Edited by john(MI) - 08 Dec 2019 at 9:56pm
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 10:12pm
.264 Winchester Magnum
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 3:36am

7 MM Remington Magnamous for sure,,,from at least 300 yards away!!Clap
200 10and20 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 5:30am
EAT A BEAVER SAVE A TREE IT'S ECOLOGICAL!!!!

Edited by 200 10and20 - 09 Dec 2019 at 5:30am
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 5:49am
Joanne Crawford, a wildlife ecologist at Southern Illinois University told National Geographic.  "I’m like, 'Get down there, and stick your nose near its bum.'"

"People think I'm nuts," she added. "I tell them, 'Oh, but it's beavers; it smells really good.'"

And
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 6:09am
My 9mm. loaded with Speer Gold Dot 124 grain bullets dropped a cow with one head shot from 15 feet. I question what bullet you are shooting out of your .357? As for Beavers,they have been a problem in our county flooding roads, raising water levels at Lakeshore homes. County Road Commission had to clean a road culvert 4 times because a Beaver kept damning it up. Unfortunately for the Beaver a car hit him while he was crossing the road! Damn Beavers!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 7:03am
That car wouldn't of been a County Road Commission car by chance would it. Wink
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 7:31am
I have PMC Starfire .357 magnum 150 gr SFHP loaded in it.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 7:38am
Tom you should have used a .357 kryptonite semi jacketed hollow point on that beaver for a one shot kill. That was Superman's gal, and he's pissed. You better load up on Kryptonite.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 9:27am
https://youtu.be/vcLVt7p9m4M Red Bank your bullets don't expand,you shot straight through your Beaver! Need some expanding bullets. I recommend Hornady FTX.https://youtu.be/k57xyqXxQfA
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 5:33pm

Thursday, 12 July 2012

Regarding your dam complaint

In December of 1997, as a result of an official complaint from a neighbour, a Michigan resident named Stephen Tvedten received, indirectly, a stern warning from the region's Department of Environmental Quality in the form of a letter—a letter in which he was given six weeks to remove two "unauthorized" and "hazardous" dams from the stream on his property, or else face prosecution. Tvedten’s amusing response, in which he makes a mockery of the complaint and refuses to comply on behalf of the beavers who built those dams, soon made the local news. The case was quickly dropped.

This letter, along with 124 other fascinating pieces of correspondence, can be found in the bestselling book, Letters of Note. For more info, visit Books of Note.

STATE OF MICHIGAN

Reply to:
GRAND RAPIDS DISTRICT OFFICE
STATE OFFICE BUILDING 6TH FLOOR
350 OTTAWA NW
GRAND RAPIDS MI 49503-2341

JOHN ENGLER, Governor
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY
HOLLISTER BUILDING, PO BOX 30473, LANSING MI 48909-7973
INTERNET: http://www.deq.state.mi us
RUSSELL J. HARDING, Director

December 17, 1997

CERTIFIED

Mr. Ryan DeVries
2088 Dagget
Pierson, MI 49339

Dear Mr. DeVries:

SUBJECT: DEQ File No. 97-59-0023-1 T11N, R10W, Sec. 20, Montcalm County

It has come to the attention of the Department of Environmental Quality that there has been recent unauthorized activity on the above referenced parcel of property. You have been certified as the legal landowner and/or contractor who did the following unauthorized activity:

Construction and maintenance of two wood debris dams across the outlet stream of Spring Pond. A permit must be issued prior to the start of this type of activity. A review of the Department's files show that no permits have been issued.

Therefore, the Department has determined that this activity is in violation of Part 301,. Inland Lakes and Streams, of the Natural Resource and Environmental Protection Act, Act 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being sections 324.30101 to 324.30113 of the Michigan Compiled Laws annotated. The Department has been informed that one or both of the dams partially failed during a recent rain event, causing debris dams and flooding at downstream locations. We find that dams of this nature are inherently hazardous and cannot be permitted. The Department therefore orders you to cease and desist all unauthorized activities at this location, and to restore the stream to a free-flow condition by removing all wood and brush forming the dams from the strewn channel. All restoration work shall be completed no later than January 31, 1998. Please notify this office when the restoration has been completed so that a follow-up site inspection may be scheduled by our staff. Failure to comply with this request, or any further unauthorized activity on the site, may result in this case being referred for elevated enforcement action. We anticipate and would appreciate your full cooperation in this matter.

Please feel free to contact me at this office if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

David L. Price
District Representative
Land and Water Management Division
616-356-0269

dlp:bjc

cc: LWMD, Lansing
MontcaImCEA
Pierson Township
Lieutenant Mary C. Sherzer, DNR LED

------------------------------------------

Reply:

1/6/98

David L. Price
District Representative
Land and Water Management Division
Grand Rapids District Office
State Office Bldg., 6th Floor
350 Ottawa, N.W.
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-2341

Dear Mr. Price:

Re: DEQ File No. 97-59-0023; T11N, R10W, Sec 20; Montcalm County

Your certified letter dated 12/17/97 has been handed to me to respond to. You sent out a great deal of carbon copies to a lot of people, but you neglected to include their addresses. You will, therefore, have to send them a copy of my response.

First of all, Mr. Ryan DeVries is not the legal landowner and/or contractor at 2088 Dagget, Pierson, Michigan — I am the legal owner and a couple of beavers are in the (State unauthorized) process of constructing and maintaining two wood "debris" dams across the outlet stream of my Spring Pond. While I did not pay for, nor authorize their dam project, I think they would be highly offended you call their skillful use of natural building materials "debris". I would like to challenge you to attempt to emulate their dam project any dam time and/or any dam place you choose. I believe I can safely state there is no dam way you could ever match their dam skills, their dam resourcefulness, their dam ingenuity, their dam persistence, their dam determination and/or their dam work ethic.

As to your dam request the beavers first must fill out a dam permit prior to the start of this type of dam activity, my first dam question to you is: are you trying to discriminate against my Spring Pond Beavers or do you require all dam beavers throughout this State to conform to said dam request? If you are not discriminating against these particular beavers, please send me completed copies of all those other applicable beaver dam permits. Perhaps we will see if there really is a dam violation of Part 301, Inland Lakes and Streams, of the Natural Resource and Environmental Protection Act, Act 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being sections 324.30101 to 324.30113 of the Michigan Compiled Laws annotated.

My first concern is — aren't the dam beavers entitled to dam legal representation? The Spring Pond Beavers are financially destitute and are unable to pay for said dam representation — so the State will have to provide them with a dam lawyer. The Department's dam concern that either one or both of the dams failed during a recent rain event causing dam flooding is proof we should leave the dam Spring Pond Beavers alone rather than harassing them and calling their dam names. If you want the dam stream "restored" to a dam free-flow condition — contact the dam beavers — but if you are going to arrest them (they obviously did not pay any dam attention to your dam letter — being unable to read English) — be sure you read them their dam Miranda first.

As for me, I am not going to cause more dam flooding or dam debris jams by interfering with these dam builders. If you want to hurt these dam beavers — be aware I am sending a copy of your dam letter and this response to PETA. If your dam Department seriously finds all dams of this nature inherently hazardous and truly will not permit their existence in this dam State — I seriously hope you are not selectively enforcing this dam policy — or once again both I and the Spring Pond Beavers will scream prejudice!

In my humble opinion, the Spring Pond Beavers have a right to build their dam unauthorized dams as long as the sky is blue, the grass is green and water flows downstream. They have more dam right than I to live and enjoy Spring Pond. So, as far as I and the beavers are concerned, this dam case can be referred for more dam elevated enforcement action now. Why wait until 1/31/98? The Spring Pond Beavers may be under the dam ice then, and there will be no dam way for you or your dam staff to contact/harass them then. In conclusion, I would like to bring to your attention a real environmental quality (health) problem; bears are actually defecating in our woods. I definitely believe you should be persecuting the defecating bears and leave the dam beavers alone. If you are going to investigate the beaver dam, watch your step! (The bears are not careful where they dump!)

Being unable to comply with your dam request, and being unable to contact you on your dam answering machine, I am sending this response to your dam office.

Sincerely,

Stephen L. Tvedten

cc: PETA

Wink
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;">No, absolutely NO comment!</span>Wink   <span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;">No way, no how am I touching that one!!!!!!  </span>

Dave and Lou, your minds are in the gutter!
<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;">
</span>

Hubert,
I just saw handwriting on the wall!
Wait for the Lord;
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic