This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

falling off a running tractor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GT in Indiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: falling off a running tractor
    Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 8:24pm
Has anyone fallen off a running tractor and it has just kept going?  I was going through the woods on my WD 45 and somehow a small vine got twisted around my wrist.  Before I could get it loose, I was pulled off the seat and the old tractor just kept going in 2nd gear.

Not hurt but a scary situation...
1955 WD45 we like to call Ruby
Sponsored Links

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 8:32pm
Wow - you're very lucky to have not been hurt...or worse. Thankfully I've never had a similar experience.

WC, CA, D14, WD45
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 8:39pm
Never fell off have bailed from the b I was dragging logs out and pulled the first two over a ground hornets nest coming out with the third log as I got to the swarm they attacked the grill I bailed and ran the b kept going till a big pine tree stoped it
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 9:26pm
I was bush hogging with the WD45 and was mowing under some low branches . A low hanging branch snagged me and was trying to pull me off the back of the WD45 with the rotary mower trailing . I threw the hand clutch forward and before it stopped another branch that was caught in the loader frame came loose and caught the hand clutch lever and reengaged it . The jerk alone about knocked me off the seat . Again the branch I was stuck on was pulling me also . I hit the foot clutch but no over running clutch on pto so tractor was still going forward . I thought it was all over when the branch that had me broke and I finally got hand clutch disengaged .Went straight to TSC and put an overrunning clutch on PTO shaft . Close call to say the least . I love the sound a WD45 makes under load and it was a hell of a tractor , but operator comfort and or safety were not so much. D series was better in both regards . When I ran a conditioner/ crimper behind our WC my fathers best advice was " Don't fall off the back , it will take the rest of the day to get you unwrapped "

A young man working for a local farmer was raking hay with a farmall M on some rolling ground he had in hay . Young guy claimed tractor was tipping over and he bailed . The tractor righted itself and took off . He could not catch it so he walked back to the shop to get the farmer . they followed the trail the tractor and rake left , through a couple fences , across an interstate , through the median and across the other side . It then ran into a house and stopped in the front room . Somehow it was a rental house the farmer owned so he lucked out from being sued . State police and DOT were not very happy though .
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 9:47pm
I have not had it happen to me, but I've had it happen to a friend's father... he had a WD45 that he fell off of THREE times... and each time, the tractor headed across the field (from three different places) to the same big oak tree... and upon reaching the tree, drove up it, and was jumping and bumping... looked like a dog humping somone's leg.

We all joke that theWD45 was in love with that tree...

Surprisingly, never did any serious damage to the tractor...  used a stick to knock the coil wire out, and it stopped immediately... put a rope on the gear shifter, yanked it into neutral, and it rolled back down like it was told to behave.

The other buddywas on a two-cylinder green tractor, pulling a (fortunately empty) passenger wagon.  He didn't see the 8x8 wood block in the driveway, it caught him by suprise, he fell right off, and the tractor dragged the trailer right over him.  It smarted a bit, but just bumps and scratches, he got up, ran after it, and shut it down.

I'm certain though, that there've been some very gory stories left untold.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 10:00pm
40+ yes ago one of my Dad's uncles fell off a tractor and got run over by the disc he was pulling. I was a youngster at the time. All I know is it was a closed casket funeral.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 10:07pm
Yep, need to tell the whole story in person to get the full effect but long story short, front yard, 8n Ford with 5ft blade, I came to lying face down over the blade, tractor moving, no feeling in my right arm.  Managed to do a somersault over the blade, catch up to the tractor but when I tried to shut the key off I had no feeling in my right hand so I couldn't turn it.  Tractor hit a small tree immediately so I was able to use my left.  Made it to the shop, nose bleeding but not broken as I checked it on my way, got cleaned up, wife and daughter brought me a couple of ice packs as I could feel my face swelling.  Had my wife talked out of going to the ER as feeling was coming back in my arm, had her talked out of going to urgent care until I threw up blood the second time, that was from the nose bleed that stopped coming out my nose but was going down my throat.
I was verrrrrry lucky, there are a lot of details that are kinda funny now that I survived and can look back on it.  First time I heard my daughter say anything remotely close to a cuss word.  I was washing blood off my face, looking in the mirror, I chuckled and said, "awe, it ain't that bad."  She was 14, threw her hands up in the air, said, "OH HELL NO," whirled around on one foot and went to the house.
Maximum use of available resources!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 10:08pm
Heard a story of a guy getting ran over by a 4020, right across his torso. Being in a fresh plowed field saved him, as the wheel pressed him down into the soft soil and kept from crushing him. 
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 11:35pm
GT, I sure am glad you can tell us this story and not your next of kin. Lost a great uncle as a kid to a crank start tractor that was left in gear. I think of him every time I start the old WC.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 11:55pm
I slid off into a roadside ditch and was spit off.  The rear finish mower was chucking rocks and ground up asphalt at me but no injuries.  I remember my left hand was on the spinner and I bent the steering wheel where it was attached and in my right hand was the rubber grip that was on the three point lever.  It happens fast. 

My Papa was run over by an 8n.  Standing next to it while starting it.  It had a 5 foot brush hog on the back but was not engaged.  The rear tire knocked him down and drove over him and one skid from the brush hog tore one of his knee caps off.  As in dangling. 
He traded that tractor off 
HD3
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 6:34am
A man I used to rent land from (long gone now), well he didn't have a tractor run over him..... oh I forgot he actually did, I'll tell that after this...... he had a pull-type corn picker thrown over him. He was driving down the county road and the local milk trucker hit the picker hard with the truck, throwing the entire picker over him and his M Farmall. Took the muffler off the tractor but didn't do anything else..... picker was history. He still had that tractor when he died.

This same man went to start his John Deere A by turning the flywheel, it started and proceeded to run him over and the tractor had steel lug wheels. Ran right over his head but his head wedged between two lugs and that's what saved him. His left eye sagged and was watery all the time I knew him.

He was like a cat with nine lives. Twice he had his clothes torn off by the PTO shaft of the corn picker. Once it stripped him bare naked and he stood in the wagon trying wave the neighbor down as the neighbor drove past.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:01am
On watercraft they have added a Kill Switch to a lanyard the operator wears. I wonder if that would not be a reasonable add for the older open station tractors to preclude these incidents? My 180 it would not work as has cable shut off but a attached solenoid to that cable or a reverse pull cable to that lanyard could do it.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:26am
Folks,
Luckily never fell off one. At least not yet and dont want to either. I did have a B almost run over me in the woods. I went to start it, and it was in gear, started on 1/4 turn and jumped on me. I got out of the way as it hit a tree. Got it out of gear as it dug some holes.
Be careful out there!
One guy out in Beaver fell off and the tractor made a big loop cam back and ran over him. I dont think he survived. That was 60 years ago. 
Some of the safety features today are not bad things.
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 12:47pm
Decades ago a local farmer fell off his tractor when pulling a one-way disker and survived. As he went off he somehow hit the hydraulic lever and it raised the disker enough that although severely injured it saved his life as it passed over him. The tractor then started going in circles in the field and he had to crawl out it's way a couple of times until a farmer passing by noticed the circling tractor and managed to jump on and stop it. The injured farmer spent about 3 months in the hospital. He had some scars and some permanent damage but was able to continue farming.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 1:28pm
Came close a few times, feel the weight leave your butt cheeks and feel the sphincter reaching out to nip the seat to hold on in the hills in our one field affectionately known as "The Alps". 

Does it count if you're jumping on and off on purpose?  When I was very young, neighbor across the road was square baling by himself.  Not sure what tractor, probably a D-something.  Anyway, he got tired of getting off and on to move bales out of the way from previous rounds, so he put it in a slow gear and rigged the steering to more/less go straight so he could move more at a time and hop on once in a while to turn around.  One trip down, slipped off the step and got ran over.  It didn't really kill him, but it did lots of damage and he was never right again, died less than 2 years after.  So more/less it killed him.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 6:06pm
In my experience, the butthole takes a bite out of the seat cushion, at somewhere near 30º...Wink

When I was about 5-6 years old, Mom was mowing a field fulla trash weeds, with a D14 tricycle and 5' AC snap coupler b-hog, I was perched on a fender, tenant farmer had baled the field earlier in the summer, but left a coupla bales of straw or hay, CRW, stacked up 2 high.  High side tire started to climb the pile, she threw me offa the low side, and told me to run, which I did.  She bailed a second later, but ran after the tractor, tryin to grab the hi/lo clutch, but she was on the wrong side!  She was wearin an eisenhower style jacket, got it wedged tween the tire and fender, and drug her under the tire. mower didn't hit her, thanks to the man upstairs, but she ended up in shock, with a busted collar bone.  Tractor found a bank, and stalled itself out.  I ran about a half a mile to a neighbor's house, for help.

What this leads me to is, if you're offa the dad blamed tractor, stay off!  I've farmed this place, off and on, for years, with various tractors.  If I get bucked off, I aint a chasin nothin!  The hill in the back measures somewhere near 38º, its name has always been Buckham hill, don't know the history, but I know the angle.  alls it takes is fer a new groundhog, to dis-arrange how I mow it!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
ksbowman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksbowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 6:36pm
In the field across from our house a few years before we bought the farm our neighbors dad was disking. He had a heart attack and fell off the tractor. The tractor continued run in circles til his son came to check on him. His son was able to stop the tractor but, way late. His son still owns the farm and plants that field every year. I'm sure he has some terrible thoughts at times working that field.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 8:56pm
Everything mechanical is dangerous. We often get so used to it we forget what could happen with the slightest bit of carelessness. Be careful guys.
wade89 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wade89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 9:37pm
^Steves Right^ It comes down to complacency. I bailed off my WC in Road gear this last summer on my dirt road. Narrow front gets a death wobble from time to time and I hit a bump just right while half assedly standing on rear platform. A guy always thinks he'll be quick enough to grab the throttle to idle her down, but I wasn't.

Another thing to be careful with is jumping a starter. Old Timer neighbor got killed about 20 years ago starting an Oliver 1800 from the side. When it fired up he went under the rear tire.
Bear Taylor View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 12:35am
Originally posted by GT in Indiana GT in Indiana wrote:

Has anyone fallen off a running tractor and it has just kept going?  I was going through the woods on my WD 45 and somehow a small vine got twisted around my wrist.  Before I could get it loose, I was pulled off the seat and the old tractor just kept going in 2nd gear.

Not hurt but a scary situation...
MDWilliams338 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 5:24am
GT,you were very lucky and glad you’re ok. When I was 17 I flipped a D10 we used for hauling tobacco in a 10ft deep canal getting pinned under it.Fortunately the way the canal was dug out it had a deep V and I was in the very peak or bottom of it. Still to this day I don’t remember anything about it,only come out with a few scratches....freakishly one of the tie rods broke suddenly sending me off the road coming through the field.
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

It isn’t how you die.It’s what you live for.-Daniel Boone
mhankins View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhankins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 12:40pm
When I was 13,I was mowing hay and my dad went to get more fuel for the tractor.
He was just pulling into the field when I hit a bumble bee nest and they swarmed my head and I fell off the back of the tractor and luckily rolled over the pto shaft and hit the ground behind the mower.
 Dad ran and caught the tractor,put me in the shade,and finished up mowing,and never stirred the bees up.
Tenn allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenn allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 5:31am
When I was in my teens back in the mid to late ‘80s I was drilling wheat on my grandfathers hillside farm ran the front of the tractor into a sink hole   The weight bracket dug into the dirt throwing me on to the hood I was driving a 185 and as I was going over the steering column something caught the throttle thru it wide open she just started digging and that exhaust is hot   Managed to knock the power director into neutral to get her to stop digging. I was standing on the platform at the time.
savedallis1953 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savedallis1953 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 7:01am
I once stood in front of the left rear tire of a WD-45, reached across and grabbed the starter rod, pulled and as I did my elbow pushed the gearshift into second gear as it started. Only by the Grace of the Most High God am I still here as the tractor missed me. Still hard to see how. 👆
1953 WD, 1953 WD, WD engine with WD-45 crankshaft.
savedallis1953 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savedallis1953 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 7:05am
A non running tractor can hurt you also, just a little moisture and your shins will never be the same.
1953 WD, 1953 WD, WD engine with WD-45 crankshaft.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 8:53am
Speaking of the grace of God, me and a friend ages 12 - 13 were out in an old field full of one and a half two foot ant hills. One in the seat and one standing on the drawbar holding on to the fenders, we romped through this field nailing as many hills as possible at a time seeing how high we could bounce and hang on. Man talk about stupid!!! I don't know how neither of us got hurt, but I'm sure that old Coop felt it. Yep by the grace of God.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 9:18am
[QUOTE=chaskaduo]
Speaking of the grace of God, me and a friend ages 12 - 13 were out in an old field full of one and a half two foot ant hills. One in the seat and one standing on the drawbar holding on to the fenders, we romped through this field nailing as many hills as possible at a time seeing how high we could bounce and hang on. Man talk about stupid!!! I don't know how neither of us got hurt, but I'm sure that old Coop felt it. Yep by the grace of God.[/QUOT
Hard to believe some of the stuff we did as youngster's ain't it?
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 10:12am
I remember at around 7 or 8 figuring out that gasoline smelled good and so me and my younger brother decided to smell gas out of the gas tank on Dad's old WD. Got dizzy and fell down. Survived that easy enough but then we found out later that gasoline was also flammable and that lighting an empty fuel can and watching it fly like a rocket was really fun. Now that was stupid!..... it was plastic and that probably saved us.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 1:28pm
[TUBE]7QmHM148A5A[/TUBE]
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by NEVER green NEVER green wrote:

[TUBE]7QmHM148A5A[/TUBE]

Plowin is one thing.  You gotta watch out, in a hay field...Wink

[TUBE]x4C38Qj2BQ0[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic