This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pole barn build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 4:15pm
18x18 should fit two smaller tractors side by side. I think you could even have a mower attached on the 3 point. Yeah go high as could be. If at your mothers place check that you won't accidentally burden her with the taxman.

Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 11:21am
Two friends decided on Red Iron buildings, post anchors set in foundations pours, 1/2" bolts are over two feet into the footers in their own column spots. One has two other such buildings, clear span 40' and solid as can get, one is concrete floor the other crushed stone and both over thirty years old. New one should last as well as these. I am considering as to cost where the Red Iron is near to same as Lumber, only insurance can be a bit higher against Diaphragming damage.
Herb(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 11:04am
Morton laminated three 2" boards staggered with pressure treated in the ground. Herb(GA)
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 8:30am
I used 4x4 posts for my tractor shed many years ago. The shed is 12' wide 48' long attached as a lean to on my barn. My brother the builds pole buildings for a living helped me put it up I bought what he told me to. I only have 8' of clearance and my 190 won't fit but a WD45 fits fine. The bottoms of the posts have 1' of 2x6 nailed around a little pea gravle in the bottom set in 5' deep holes back fill with gravel it hasn't moved in 20 years. My tractor shed has a 18" thick class 5 gravel floor just put it in level it out and it packs down almost as hard as concrete. Oil drips just soak in if tractor need more than very minor maintance they get moved to the shop.
Levibridge95 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levibridge95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

what steve-ill says !! laminated 2by6s with middle one shorter is GREAT !!
go 10' high walls ! otherwise YOU have to cut down 10' boards to 9'....also tractor with ROPS will need ROPS lowered to get into shop.... don't ask HOW I KNOW that...
extra height makes installing a gaage door opener possible...
of course it's too small...on the good side less room to store other people's stuff though !
consider installing a steel I-beam to split tractors ! lam enough 2by6s to make post with 'sides' to trap beam.
add separate room for furnace and air compressor....

Jay
I like the idea of a steel I beam. I probably will add a leanto onto the side of it later in the spring.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 9:37pm
when setting posts, I normally put a brick in the hole and set the post on that... Use a couple  2 x 4 as diagonal braces with stakes in the ground to hold it plumb, then pour concrete around it... that way the bottom of post is covered in concrete and not touching the dirt... good to bring concrete up a couple inches above the ground also , if your not going to pour a floor later

Edited by steve(ill) - 28 Nov 2019 at 9:38pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 9:34pm
here is a better drawing, clearer, with the larger  7.5 ft  2 x 6 in the center of the post... This was 15 years ago.. No screws and driver back then.. All 16 penny coated sinkers... no glue.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levibridge95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Levi, I said I took two 2 x 6 x 12 ft and cut them to 5 and 7 ft ... 6 and 6 ft then used a 5-6-7 to build a post and put them in the ground 3 ft.... I think I actually cut the one 4.5 ft and 7.5 ft .... I think I acutally spliced them 4.5 then 7 f.5 ft, then 6 ft so the taller  2 x 6 part of the post was in the center........ here is a generic drawing, but I show the post with the 7.5 foot on the edge, not center.

thanks steve. I believe I'll go that route. Did you use any adhesives or just screws and nails?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 9:24pm
Levi, I said I took two 2 x 6 x 12 ft and cut them to 5 and 7 ft ... 6 and 6 ft then used a 5-6-7 to build a post and put them in the ground 3 ft.... I think I actually cut the one 4.5 ft and 7.5 ft .... I think I acutally spliced them 4.5 then 7 f.5 ft, then 6 ft so the taller  2 x 6 part of the post was in the center........ here is a generic drawing, but I show the post with the 7.5 foot on the edge, not center.

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 9:14pm
my new cook shack is 10x18, it's about already to small...
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levibridge95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

we don't use solid posts.. splice 3 of 2 x 6 together so it ends up 4.5 x 5.5 ........ normally straighter... and you can stagger the top so the rafters set on / inbetween the layers.
Steve i sent ya a pm.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levibridge95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

My 36 x 72 is WAY too small.  I'm gonna have to add on or build another.  Definitely, if you can't go out, go up.  AND, 2x6s are cheaper than a 6x6.
I staggered all 3 so that there were no seams next to each other.  More strength.

I definitely agree 2x6 are cheaper. 6x6 pt at lowes and HD are like $35 a piece
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 5:08pm
go 10' min ht. minimum with low headroom kit for door. that min sidewall ht. that will work. my wd will go in a 7' garage door. 6x6 all posts want it to last.
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 5:03pm
My 36 x 72 is WAY too small.  I'm gonna have to add on or build another.  Definitely, if you can't go out, go up.  AND, 2x6s are cheaper than a 6x6.
I staggered all 3 so that there were no seams next to each other.  More strength.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levibridge95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 4:58pm
Since someone brought it up earlier.i was thinking about it. I will probably do a full 10' wall instead of 9 like I was planning.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 4:57pm
Levi, you go with 5X5 yellow pine treated and rough sawn(sic) and you will find that they are almost as big as 6X6. I've used them in my shop and it survived 60 MPH winds Tues. night. Course it's built xxxx for stout. I also poured a pad and shot the plates to the floor, so I could keep the posts out of the soil. Worked for me.    Leon
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 4:50pm
since you can't go bigger ( footprint aka L x W) can you go higher ?
My shop(40 x 72) has 14' walls then 5/12 pitched trusses. About half has a mezzanine, 10' off of the ground...allows for LOTS of storage and yeah about a 1/4 of it is 'contrator grade' materials.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levibridge95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 4:15pm
Would love to go bigger but I only have 1 acre which is my parents actually. And I'm putting it where a old shed was at.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levibridge95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 4:13pm
Could get a side mount opener if you have enough side room.
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 10:22am
X2 on the height. Make sure you build it tall enough to have enough headroom for the door you want to install. I'm going to have to buy a low headroom conversion kit before I can finish installing my door, and I probably will never be able to install an auto opener.
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 10:19am
that was gona be my comment ,,but John beat me to it......it aint big enough,,,,i would lay it out on the ground just to see how small 18x18 is,,,,,not much room when you are putting stuff in there that takes it up quick

ocharry
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 7:35am
Jay, "other people's stuff". Do you really mean "The Contractor's stuff"?  Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 6:20am
what steve-ill says !! laminated 2by6s with middle one shorter is GREAT !!
go 10' high walls ! otherwise YOU have to cut down 10' boards to 9'....also tractor with ROPS will need ROPS lowered to get into shop.... don't ask HOW I KNOW that...
extra height makes installing a gaage door opener possible...
of course it's too small...on the good side less room to store other people's stuff though !
consider installing a steel I-beam to split tractors ! lam enough 2by6s to make post with 'sides' to trap beam.
add separate room for furnace and air compressor....

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 5:34am
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

If you use Steve's idea,make sure you use treated boards for the in the ground part.  Also, about 5 minutes after you set the posts in concrete, you will realize it's not nearly big enough - just sayin...

Ain't that the truth!! Ours is 30x48 and should be 60x100 with all the stuff I try to stuff in there!!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 12:10am
If you use Steve's idea,make sure you use treated boards for the in the ground part.  Also, about 5 minutes after you set the posts in concrete, you will realize it's not nearly big enough - just sayin...
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 8:45pm
we don't use solid posts.. splice 3 of 2 x 6 together so it ends up 4.5 x 5.5 ........ normally straighter... and you can stagger the top so the rafters set on / inbetween the layers.

Edited by steve(ill) - 27 Nov 2019 at 8:45pm
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 7:28pm
Levi, 
Oh man we need pictures! Maybe will get me interested in building something too! 
I used all 4 x 6 posts in my sugarhouse build 20 years ago. That was 16 x 24 main room, with 16 x 12 back room, plus loft, and 36 x 10 lean to area. They worked fine. Still standing! 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levibridge95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 7:19pm
Ok. It's gonna have 9' wall height. One 16' garage door and metal sides and roof. I'm leaning towards 6x6 just wanted to get others advice.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 6:45pm
Stay with the 6x6 and you won't be second guessing yourself. As DanWi mentioned - lots of factors enter into the equation.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 5:12pm
So many things to consider height of shed, spacing of poles 18 ft you could go to 6 ft centers or 9 ft. Rafter design open sides, open ends, what kind of doors?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic