This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non Allis backhoe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non Allis backhoe
    Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 2:17pm
Anybody install a block heater in a 416 cat with 4.236 Perkins? Trying to determine what freeze plug to use that works best.
Sponsored Links

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 8:02pm
If I get a chance tomorrow I'll check where it is on my 426 with the 4.236.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 7:49am
Just checked. Mine is in a threaded hole above the rear of the starter and below the line of core plugs. It looks to be 1", might be 3/4". Size should show in the 4.236 parts book. I think this one is a JEB brand heater, it was in it when I got the machine.

Edited by Jim.ME - 28 Nov 2019 at 10:57am
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 3:05pm
Thank you— was hoping it would have been on the other side so I don’t need to pull the starter again. How well do you like that one? I want to use this some for snow.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 4:26pm
It works fine. Usually a couple hours is all it takes to make the difference. I often run it longer than that, then it starts like summer. During snow season I keep it plugged in to a remote controlled outlet adapter, so I can turn it on when I get up in the morning and it is ready to go by the time I need it. I don't know what size it is, as it was in the hoe when I bought it. I would guess it is 1000 to 1500 watts. I am not sure that j.jeb is still making heaters. I have had good luck with Kats and Zerostart/Phillips as well. That plug is just above the starter at the back of the block, I think you could install it without removing the starter (I fully understand your not wanting to do that, I've had that pleasure as well).
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 10:47am
the proper freeze plug for heater is the one above the fuel pump on lower right side of block - least that's where mine is mounted on my Perkins and it works for me .
 Look it up on site for heaters listed - as a couple different wattages also listed 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 6:12am
Different heaters, different locations. J.Jeb did specify the location mine is in and it appears Kats and Phillips/Zerostart use the same location and pipe thread type heater for some Perkins engines, but they don't show it for the 4.236. You need to check the installation instructions for the ones you look at.

In any case an in block heater is much better than a tank heater in my opinion.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 7:14pm
Yes, I agree that any in block heater works better than a hosed type. Heat will be in the cylinders and disperse more evenly across the head. I called into Napa and they had (2) sizes for the freeze plugs. I don’t see anything threaded on my block. The machine was manufactured in ‘87 so I’d think all the 4.236 blocks should be the same. Thank you guys for the suggestions.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 9:06pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 8:00am
The 2-236 Perkins was used in the 170 farm tractors if that helps.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Joe(TX) Joe(TX) wrote:

The 2-236 Perkins was used in the 170 farm tractors if that helps.
Should have been 4-236
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 1:48pm
Yes, I looked at a 1970 175 block and the freeze plugs are located a little different. Guess they may have changed the pattern somewhere between the years. I let you know how I make out— ordered one and am going for the right hand side first when sitting in the seat.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 4:05pm
Just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. Block heater is installed and it will start at 20 degrees without plugging in the battery charger and ether! Thanks again and have a safe New Year. Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic