This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a WD45 rebirth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 7:36am
Mike,
 Its going to be almost to nice to use on the farm! Great details! Pictures are appreciated!
You do very good work!  You have been busy! I see that seat bracket has a longer hinged portion and brings the seat more on tractor center line. Dash looks very clean! I see you must have got a new traction booster gage? I am still too cheap to get one for my 45!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

MDWilliams338 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 8:19am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Mike,
 Its going to be almost to nice to use on the farm! Great details! Pictures are appreciated!
You do very good work!  You have been busy! I see that seat bracket has a longer hinged portion and brings the seat more on tractor center line. Dash looks very clean! I see you must have got a new traction booster gage? I am still too cheap to get one for my 45!
Regards,
 Chris

Well Chris...I’m not sure just yet but dad may actually use this for garden work,don’t know yet.I’ve been more busy with work ,got some paperwork almost everyday I have to go through at home for some trainees I’ve been working with at the plant ...and Christmas stuff and hunting.But yeah the seat hinge will really help dad sit center for sure.My OCD wouldn’t let me put the old gauge back on...it was horrible 😁
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

It isn’t how you die.It’s what you live for.-Daniel Boone
allisguy.11 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisguy.11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 6:55am
its all about the prep work!! looks awesome! can you share how you got things down to bare metal? I see a little wire wheel sitting in the one picture. did you do the entire tractor that way? Ive been looking for other options other than sandblasting just because I hate doing it so much
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by allisguy.11 allisguy.11 wrote:

its all about the prep work!! looks awesome! can you share how you got things down to bare metal? I see a little wire wheel sitting in the one picture. did you do the entire tractor that way? Ive been looking for other options other than sandblasting just because I hate doing it so much

Yessir,sure is and it’s the most aggravating part too. My dad is retired so during the winter months this is what he does to keep from going crazy,can’t stay still and he’d rather not sand or bead blast the tractor itself aside from the sheet metal and stuff he can’t get to.But yes he has 5 different grinders he uses with wire wheels and poly wheels along with two different size needle scalers he uses for most of the cast stuff and frames.The sheet metal we take to a good friend of mind that owns a powdercoat shop to glass blast. If we do a tractor that’s so bad with lose paint and grease/oil we get our neighbors diesel powered steam jet like we used on our D17 but something like that you have to be careful with because it can punch holes in thin,old rust beaten metal.
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 12:45pm
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up  GREAT job!  Tell Dad,,,,,,,,,,good job!  He's teaching you correctly!  Keep it up!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 5:18pm
@Ted,thankya sir ,I appreciate it! Well we got her all finished up after church today but still have to find a drawbar so dad can climb up on it a little easier.With new tie rods,front rims and new 6.50 rubber this 45 drives itself practically.Since my wife gave my dad this straight chrome pipe for Christmas last year I decided to add a chrome bullet tail light ....hopefully not too gaudy 😁.... but the pipe sounds sooo good.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 5:26pm
Forgot I ran out of 1/2” stainless flat washers for the fenders so I’ve got to get some more of those too.Should have been done Friday but dad went 3 farms over a bribed a friend of his to sell him a set of rear wheel weights.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 6:10pm
Mike,
 Man does that look nice! 
I noticed we have different WD45 decals on the sides of the rad shell? I have seen both.
Where is your tool box on the fender?:)
That chrome stack and the light look just right to me! Your wife did good! Great details on the tractor! Wiring looks awesome! Your paint is first class! You and your Dad can be very proud of this WD45 wide front!
Thanks for the nice pictures and the update!
Merry Christmas a little early to you and your folks!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 16 Dec 2019 at 7:09am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 6:25pm

Mike,
 Man does that look nice! 
I noticed we have different WD45 decals on the sides of the rad shell? I have seen both.
Where is your tool box on the fender?:)
That chrome stack and the light look just right to me! Your mom did good! Great details on the tractor! Wiring looks awesome! Your paint is first class! You and your Dad can be very proud of this WD45 wide front!
Thanks for the nice pictures and the update!
Merry Christmas a little early to you and your folks!
Regards,
 Chris

Hey Chris,thanks!!! Yessir,this tractor came with this style of decal on the nose cone albeit they were located on the bottom and after searching high and low I could only find two other photos of the 45 logo on the bottom so dad flipped a coin and we went with the top side as most are found.Toolbox hasn’t got here yet,probably tomorrow actually.And a Merry early Christmas to y’all too😁🎄🎄🎄🎄

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 6:58pm
Those WD-45 decals on the radiator are aftermarket, not OEM.  Yes, you see a LOT of them, but they aren't the original style.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Those WD-45 decals on the radiator are aftermarket, not OEM.  Yes, you see a LOT of them, but they aren't the original style.

You are absolutely correct DR!!! I just called and talked with a friend of my dads,Curtis Mabe a big time collector just south of us about an hour ago and he just said the same thing....so that said these will be coming back off.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 7:07am
Mike,
I have had good luck getting decals from Maple Hunter. I believe that is where Sandy Lake gets theirs from too. Actually I have bought all of the decal kits for 3 tractors from Sandy Lake.
Its funny I have seen a lot of them aftermarket 45 decals, and they always looked different but I just couldn't put my finger on what it was. I remember the original ones on Dad's 45's. And they are just a little different design. 

I also found the picture of the original nonrepainted WD45 that my neighbor has.

I am going to cause you more problems too!:) I would look at the hood decals too. For some reason mine look a little bigger? Taller and longer?? I may be totally wrong on that ?? I think I measured back about 5.5 inches from the front edge of the hood to set the first letter of that big decal. And the last letter is just about even with the air cleaner tube. That was based on the neighbors original tractor also. 

Yea were making your life difficult today! Sorry!
Regards,
 Chris

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 8:19am
Oh na Chris,not making trouble at all and appreciate the measurements too. I had actually ordered a whole new set from DJ last night and ripped all the first set off.This set was mylar that dad had gotten from somewhere and the last few we’ve done I had gotten from DJ so I ordered another set(die cut) like the last ones.And appreciate the heads up Maple Hunter too,I’ll keep them in mind in the future too.I have found some of these decal kits aren’t always in stock everywhere at any given time.

Edited by MDWilliams338 - 16 Dec 2019 at 8:23am

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 8:32am
Mike,
 Ok! Its going to look even better! I have used some die cut but most of mine have been the Mylar.
Every time I look at my gas line on the 45 I know its wrong. May not change it to go in back of the air hose!:)
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 16 Dec 2019 at 8:34am
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 12:10pm

Mike,
 Ok! Its going to look even better! I have used some die cut but most of mine have been the Mylar.
Every time I look at my gas line on the 45 I know its wrong. May not change it to go in back of the air hose!:)
Regards,
 Chris

Ha..just noticed the line.Well that’s an easy fix...especially if you’ve got a good sediment bowl and the shutoff valve works like it should.

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 9:04am
Gorgeous '45!! Nicely done. I chuckled at the last few posts from Chris - the devil's in the details, right?
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Dave(inMA) Dave(inMA) wrote:

Gorgeous '45!! Nicely done. I chuckled at the last few posts from Chris - the devil's in the details, right?

😂 That’s right...no halfassery if I can help and I don’t mind getting pointers.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 3:10pm
Aaaand take 2....with a new sediment bowl,decals and left wing on the nose cone.

Edited by MDWilliams338 - 01 Jan 2020 at 3:12pm

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 4:55pm
Mike,
 Your extra efforts really show! The decals look just right to me! And that wing on the left side is a great item to correct too. I have seen many choped off for 12 volt alternators to hang out there! Your Alternator is tucked in nicely! Very GOOD looking tractor! That stack really looks sharp too. I may have to break down and get one of those 50 extra hp stacks. But it would have to be old and rusty for the WZ!:)
I would have loved to have those pipes on Dads farm tractors. But about 80% of the time the muffler, or what was left of it was flopping around supported by the hole in the hood!
Just awesome work Mike! Thanks for posting these! How did you like the die cut decals, compared to the Mylar? Any different application techniques?
Happy New Year! Tell your Dad and Mom I said Hi! Go make some pancakes, waffles or biscuits and slather them with maple syrup! We will make more!:)
Regards,
 Chris
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 6:47pm

Mike,
 Your extra efforts really show! The decals look just right to me! And that wing on the left side is a great item to correct too. I have seen many choped off for 12 volt alternators to hang out there! Your Alternator is tucked in nicely! Very GOOD looking tractor! That stack really looks sharp too. I may have to break down and get one of those 50 extra hp stacks. But it would have to be old and rusty for the WZ!:)
I would have loved to have those pipes on Dads farm tractors. But about 80% of the time the muffler, or what was left of it was flopping around supported by the hole in the hood!
Just awesome work Mike! Thanks for posting these! How did you like the die cut decals, compared to the Mylar? Any different application techniques?
Happy New Year! Tell your Dad and Mom I said Hi! Go make some pancakes, waffles or biscuits and slather them with maple syrup! We will make more!:)
Regards,
 Chris

Thanks Chris..I appreciate it! Funny thing is I bought the wing for this tractor almost a year ago because it was previously cut off....and then it happened.Tore down,sanded and cleaned,primered and painted,put back together and for the life of me could not figure out why the tractor looked so wrong.So for a day looking at a pic of this one and yours actually it finally hit me the Allis teardrop wasn’t there on the alternator side.....so I had to take the cone and rad back off and have a good friend who’s a genius at TIG with low heat to try a tack the wing on (after I painted the wing) without burning the paint and he came through like a champ...he builds race car chassis so I had a lot of faith in him. Then fit everything back and it’s very close but works perfectly.I’ve used the die cut decals on others and I used the same ‘ol tape and hinge method...works every time 😁 And I just noticed I got moms Mustang in the background that although is Competition Orange looks eerily close to AC orange🤔

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 7:14pm
Mike,
 Oh yea, I seen the Mustang lurking back there too!
 Very nice work welding that wing on the Allis grill! I was wondering how much of a pain that was! Never would have guess that you could attach it as painted! Thanks for the heads up on the die cut decals too.
Tractor looks Awesome! Get it to some shows before you work it!
Regards,
 Chris
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 5:21am

Mike,
 Oh yea, I seen the Mustang lurking back there too!
 Very nice work welding that wing on the Allis grill! I was wondering how much of a pain that was! Never would have guess that you could attach it as painted! Thanks for the heads up on the die cut decals too.
Tractor looks Awesome! Get it to some shows before you work it!
Regards,
 Chris

Thanks Chris...it’s all over now and turned out pretty good but at the time when it sank in what I’d done I was beyond aggravated. I’d even ordered two new 45 decals from Connie @ Maple Hunter because I knew I was going have to repaint it but my friend who’s always done my race car chassis said he was pretty sure he could spot it without burning the outside surface and fortunately it turned out all good....I just had to touch up the inside where he had the ground clamp.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic