This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7G, hoping for the best

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7G, hoping for the best
    Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:05pm
Decided was time, brought Allis up from the barn and I believe the old gal is ready for surgery.
Multiple concerns to be address. First swap transmissions to the one I have resealed, finish out some small hydraulic lines changes, inspect the torque converter drive for the Trans pump and get as much right as possible. Validate that works well, next move to dropping hardnose, pull radiator, after inspect mounting points decide whether to install my spare or have this one cleaned, have new pivot bolts and sleeves for the hard nose as well going to install the one off the spare parts tractor(Sweeps cage will follow). To follow with rails off, get the tractor elevated, cribbed up satisfactorily and POSSIBLY drop right truck to access the sprocket and drive shaft that is wobbled to death. Will be dragging as many spares off the donor as get to the process including rails. Donor also has rail guides which will come off one way or another and be transplanted to my machine, all sprocket and idler guards are going BACK on. Additionally with hard nose off will be installing the Alternator I purchased some time back, already machined the mount from the donor to swing it in place of the generator, 24V but Neg. Grd. this time, will also get all new cabling for that install.
Have a decent straight hood off the donor with the hood mounted stack, will be rebuilding the exhaust elbow after the turbo and aligning to feed the exhaust up thru that style stack. Thinking 3" Pipe weld Short Radius 90 and see what I will need for pipe with flange to get the angles correct.   Should all these work out, may actually have a pretty sweet old loader.

Edited by DMiller - 19 Nov 2019 at 6:06pm
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:08pm
Yikes ! Pretty big project there ! Keep us up to date and with pics !
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:25pm
Will be slow and methodical on these fixes, was busy trying to excavate and build a house for last set of repairs, now have some time and a decent shop to work in on it.
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:53pm
You're gonna have the nicest 7g around
HD3
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:35pm
It looks like you have removed the brush cab/Roll cage. I always liked to raise the loader arms and chain them up to the brush cab. It gives you a whole lot more room to work on the motor/ radiator. The last hd6g I had, I could not get the hinge bolts out of the hard nose. When you put the radiator back in, make double sure there are no loose parts left laying on top of or around the motor. Radiator cores are experience. Speaking from experience. Have fun with it. Bee careful.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 4:27am
Trans is coming out right off, could not have operator cover on it. May raise arms and situate across a channel iron on hard nose for the trans work. Will be receiving the hard nose and cage off my donor, be a little better with sweeps. And at least have two radiators, one from donor and the one in it. As to the hard nose bolts, Have replacements for those should I have to gas axe them.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 10:38pm
Wow, you've got me worn out just reading about all the stuff you are going to do.  But, as someone said, you will have the nicest 7G around!  Have fun and be careful, a lot of those pieces are heavy.

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 6:39am
DMiller,
 That sounds like a heck of a project. But with the right tools and equipment and your plan and a good donor you should be in good shape.
Looking forward to following along too.
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 6:23pm
Short work day today, all the retirees from my old Plant Crew had breakfast and Bull session, almost noon before home. Disassembly has begun. Loads of structural in the way now removed, next will be decel and brakes, hydraulics off converter.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 5:35pm
Decided today was a good day for work, so left the deer alone, have two days yet on firearms season.

So far:

Tomorrow will be a leave the machine go and go shoot Bambi, after which back to cleaning this up for reassemble. Once on the floor determined the same seals were blowing by as had been in the resealed trans, will see if I did any good on that.
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 9:28pm
not many will take on something like this, even fewer know how all this stuff works

thanks for posting 

have you needed a magnet on a stick yet?

HD3
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 8:33am
I was telling a friend about this. he asked me if there was any money to be made. I told him that wasn't the point to this fellow. he has planned this all out to do it some time in the future. he will get it done safely I hope. it will be a really nice crawler when he is done. when he starts it up and drives it out into the sun light for the first time there will be a big halo on top his head. he will smile ear to ear and be the proudest owner of an Allis in the world. my friend money cant buy that. Good luck and be safe.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 8:52am
Really a simple transmission, bronze friction discs hardly ever wear, separators are steel and show little wear, seals internally are oddball, if my magic concoction functions this trans should outlive the 344.

Lots of IFS MAYBES, but pretty well dotted the Is and Crossed the Ts to get this far, if anything can help the next jamoke that finds one of these still running yet weak.

Other than that is a Old Mechanic that is frustrated with new Sh!t that cannot be repaired, sees a little glimmer in a forty five year old machine that still works as hard as he does, just trying to extend that life so ever little bit.

Edited by DMiller - 25 Nov 2019 at 8:54am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 7:35am
Really slowed up, holidays and readying for MORE holidays have eaten my time up. Got the new trans oil delivered yesterday, am currently ordering small parts to fix matters exposed while trans is out, new starter cable went in yesterday as clamps had eroded thru old sheathing in multiple spots, just lucky no hard shorts yet. Replacement clamps for the cable are on the way and trying to locate appropriate boots for the brake linkages, so far not so well. Cleaning is ongoing, as well repaired seat base pivots and latch, cushion is out for mods, need to cut a sheet of plywood for a new seat back, maybe build arm cushion bases.

Edited by DMiller - 04 Dec 2019 at 7:37am
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 1:39am
Just remember

"Then there is hope.  But hope is not a strategy"  E.M. Smith
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 1:10pm
Trans is back in, photo does not show but have installed the trunnion and now allowing blood to travel other than to my head from standing on it setting that trunnion!! Tomorrow will try to finish up and test drive/leak check. May though not have a seat to set on as the seat cushions are at the upholsterer for repairs. I did get the pivot pin that normally breaks off repaired and the seat base repairs done so can adjust up or down.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 6:38pm
Moment of truth day, busted my hump and a few knuckles getting the machine functional enough to test operate and leak check. Filled trans oil and lit it up, sat a long time looking things over then cycled the range shifter seemed fine. Out of the shop Lo Forward was solid, shifted to Hi with a hesitation of some kind, then down the drive just looking it over. Stopped and slipped into lo reverse then stepped into hi reverse, all of a sudden stopped moving.

Sat and worked quadrant control, had Lo Reverse, locks up in Hi rev or any forward gear, something hard failed in box, backed all the way back up hill and into shop, still no leakage noted. At this point will replace seals in second trans, see what it feels like then swap back to it, will tear into this box once that one is confirmed functional.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 8:28pm
Ok...Love your project! We've finally got some rain to slow us down..so hoping to do some posts soon. Was going to appeal to you for some help on our 7G steering/brakes issue...sometime.  So totally unrelated to the current issue....we have always tried to check the backlash on the ring and pinion if we changed a transmission like this...or if we had to do the bearings in the ring gear.  In the big scheme of things it might not be that important?

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 6:23am
Not too important but also part of requirements in a change out. Was within spec when pulled this trans and installed the donor back a few years ago. Did not have Lo Rev when pulled this one where suspected was just the seals but am scratching head on this currently as to the jam up.

Steering on these is rough if keep the boost up on the brakes, my own is backed nearly full off on suggestion form Down Under and helped. Are you getting clutch disengage? Are the brakes up on adjust? Tighten snug then back off two full turns otherwise will drag and heat up and yes pedal will be close to floor on apply. Seems pedal stroke was for prior style machines and the boosted power steering just got added on.   Brakes and hand clutches work from the same pump, under the injection pump as I am certain you are aware.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 4:29pm
Just NOT a good week. Got final bill in mail for Hearing Aids, went to get 180 to move trans for cleaning and NO Start, batteries or connections(Suspect Batteries as are 5 years installed) got trans washed off SOME, not pristine but chunks are off and back in shed drying off. Used our little Deere Riding mower with a loader to move it, Did NOT really like that much weight swinging out front!!

Wish I had a better note of what is coming, but the transmissions have to swap Yet again.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 4:43pm
Trans number Two

Got it arranged for tear down and managed to get Upper Shaft apart to reseal it. Will reassemble that one in AM and them reseal Lower, the two done then will clean up case and end plate begin reassemble.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 6:04pm
Shafts resealed back in and face plate back in place, had to stop as the local that rebuilt my seat and arm rests was done, needed them out of his way.

Next up is resealing the Collector Heads and cleaning up the Input shaft assembly. Upright then start pulling trans OUT.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 5:50pm
Well is back together, time to sweep up and start pulling the failed box. Already have the system drained.

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 6:15pm
Looking good ! Where do you get Work Horse oil at ? Heard good things about it, is it considered a replacement just for crawlers or AC 821 ?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 6:27pm
Is now the MFA Brand. Been very satisfied with their products at least in this AC
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 5:13pm
Boxes are swapped, hung in reverse is on the floor and the other hanging on four bolts for now. First thing noticed of the pulled box, Input retainer bolt(Loctited) backed out near to a half inch, no reason to do so as nothing counter rotating inside the yoke. I set that bolt an hour before placement this last time. Not worrying of it for now, have a starter should be delivered this evening for the 180.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 6:23pm
Sounds like you might have a gremlin around your place!

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 6:52pm
Full moon, threat of bad weather, just got started on 7G, then starter, almost afraid to try any other machines currently!! Friends are seeing same sort of FUBAR results in their ops, may just be a run of Bad Luck sorting thru but Gremlins I am NOT ruling out.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 4:01pm
At least the 180 is back up and Kicking(KNOCKING hard on my wooden head). Replacement starter arrived last night, wife had Doc and store run this morning so I went along(Lumper), got home and installed starter. Also started charging batteries, first one was low at 12.6 but charged right nice to 13.2 when done, second one NOT so good and likely the cause of starter winding over amp cook off. Started out 12.0, was on charge about half an hour and bumping 13.2 when the charger went to safe shut down, voltage dropped to 9.7, bad cell. BACK to auto parts store, replaced that one and all is good.

Got back blade on for "Pretty" duty(Darn Shameless and that Machine) are predicted for anywhere from 3-6" of the White Stuff Sunday into Monday.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 6:48pm
Also, today is Friday the 13th!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic