This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tractor recommendation needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinbad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tractor recommendation needed
    Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 11:07am
Hello Everyone,

New member here. Looking for a tractor recommendation to do a few things around our land. We have 6 acres and looking to mow, move snow and remove a pallet of 1 ton of pellets out of a truck and into a garage. I'm looking at the WDs and the D series tractors with a wide front and a loader. I can get a mower anywhere, if it doesn't have one, but I am looking at getting one with the loader already attached. I'm not looking at spending a lot of money as this will be a low use tractor. The problem is, here in Colorado, everything is more expensive, and low availability. Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links

victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 11:23am
By the time you find a GOOD D17 you might be getting close to the price of a 6000 series. Most D series have marginal hydraulics.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 11:32am
There are a couple WD's on Craigslist in the Denver area, also was a D17 with a loader but don't know if  it's still listed.

By the way, welcome to the Forum!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 11:37am
Id never get a D SERIES, PLENTY OF 180- 190,S out there that have so much better hydraulics than them ,,
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 11:48am
Moving snow in Colorado could be a big task. Myself, I would prefer a 185 diesel. I like the heavier tractor when using a loader with a wide bucket, so D17 would still be good. 185 little bit more modern and very versatile for all of your jobs. No matter what old tractor you get, it is a crap shoot to keep it running, so good luck. I bought a good tractor and shipped it 1,000 miles so don't be afraid of finding a good deal and get it shipped to you. It is hard to find stuff around you when you want it.
80 7010 w/Cab, 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 11:59am
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Id never get a D SERIES, PLENTY OF 180- 190,S out there that have so much better hydraulics than them ,,

I got 3 6080’s, a D17, and a 175 the 175 is my least favorite by a long shot. Not sure how Allis went backwards on design with the 100’s. 6070 or 6080 are much nicer.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 12:15pm
Sinbad,
 Welcome! I think your about fight on your list. The D series  in the newer styles had improved hydraulics I believe. So a D15 with a loader and three point might work good for you too!
 Good luck with your search!
Regards,
 Chris 
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sinbad View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinbad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 12:41pm
Thank you for the recommendations. I have found a D14 with a Utility loader for $3k with good rubber. I'm considering that. My only concern is being able to move 2000 lbs. of wood pellets on a pallet. I'm not real worried about moving snow or mowing. Those are the "time to myself" chores that I can take my time on.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 12:47pm
You,ll just get mad !
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 1:34pm
A D14 doesn't have the hydraulics to lift a 2000# pallet with the loader.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Sinbad View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinbad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

A D14 doesn't have the hydraulics to lift a 2000# pallet with the loader.

What would be a better option to do that?
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 2:12pm
AFIC, The D14 is ideal for your first two tasks.  I have 5 acres and it was well fitted to mowing it with a 6' finish mower.  Get a Woods rear discharge, or whatever you get make sure it's a rear discharge.  You could build a front blade for it or put one on a trip bucket loader frame.  You could use a rear blade, but it gets old, real quick, turning half way around to watch what you are doing.  A blower is another option except for the same turning around thing.  I don't think any D series tractor except maybe the D19 is capable of lifting the pallet.  If you are on a hard surface, buy a forklift.  If you are not, buy an all terrain forklift.  There is an AC one in the auction mentioned in a previous post and it's in your area.  In my opinion the 100 series and above are excessive for mowing.  Especially if you have trees and buildings to navigate around.

I.M.H.O.  You are not going to find one tractor, alone, that fits the three tasks you want to do. 

Edited by john(MI) - 12 Nov 2019 at 2:12pm
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Sinbad View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinbad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 2:24pm
Thanks John. I figured that I wouldn't be able to do everything I want. The pallet lifting would be only a couple times in the winter. I would plan on adding a couple of forklift arms to the bucket and lift the pallet. I could remove half of the bags to lower weight and that would be a little less work on the old back. I would think that a WD or D would be able to lift 1k lbs without too much effort, and I wouldn't be going to far. I will look for the rear discharge on the mower. Not a fan of turning around with a blade or snow blower, so I agree with you there.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 2:26pm
If the D14 had a front mounted pump then it might lift that weight.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Sinbad View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinbad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 2:30pm
Lonn,

It's a rear mounted pump on this one.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 3:00pm
Even if you had the hydraulics would the torque tube take it?
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 3:13pm
OK, I have a D-14, pwr stg ,front pump and loader. It EASILY lifts 1000# giant pumpkins once a year, only time I use it. If you can , I'd split up the pellet loads.Also place on 2 high skids. The lower one will sink into the ground and rot, takes about a year or so. Everything here is 'double skided' .
You can also buy/build a rear 'carryall' I did that for D-14 #1 and it will lift 1200-1400# logs no problem though steering can be 'fun' when the front wheels lift off !
Good rubber for a D-14 is easily a $1000 bill and generally will outlive you.
I've never mowed with a D-14, though I have 3F plow, 5'rototiler,cults,landrake and 4' roller . All get used/abused buy me to prep wife's 1/2 ac veggy plot.

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 3:32pm
Until you get a lot bigger tractor,something over 70 hp I would think lifting a ton is asking a lot. If your good with getting the load down to 1400 or 1500 lbs I think this maybe as good as any other possiblity.
Sinbad View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinbad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 3:35pm
Jay,
Thanks for the information.
I store the pellets in the front garage on cement, so rot isn't much of a worry. I do want to load up on an extra pallet, or two, just in case. They will be stored inside the new shop I am in the process of building.
The cost of rubber doesn't really bother me, $1k is less than a good set for my dually, and I'm picky on what brand I run.
I'm sure I will find more uses for it as it goes along but I can't see me spending $15k on a small use tractor, plus I like the old school machines better.
My only concern is that if my wife figures out how to drive it, I will lose that one too. I lost my JD X300 to her when she wanted to mow the front yard.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 4:24pm
Now you know why I have 3 D-14sSmile Had 4 but sold one....CryThe dbl skid allows you to lift the pelletsand the top skid  as the btm skid can be 'ice welded' to the ground.
What I meant about the rubber, is the D-14 could have $1000 'worth' in good tires, so the rest of the tractor is only $2K...
I'm still stuck plowing and tilling HER veggy gardenWink but it's all good 'tractor seat time'.
Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
old farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 5:07pm
Our soybeans were shipped on skids that weighed 3200 pounds. Series 4 D17 handled it fine. It had a 500 model loader.
Sinbad View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinbad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 7:34pm
That makes sense about the tires and the skid. Tractor seat time is always a plus.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

I got 3 6080’s, a D17, and a 175 the 175 is my least favorite by a long shot. Not sure how Allis went backwards on design with the 100’s. 6070 or 6080 are much nicer.

Victory, would you be willing to elaborate on your "100" series comment?? We have moved up from a WD and D-17 to a D-15 and a D-19(NOT ALLIS CHALMERS best tractor IMO) to now a gasser 180 and a XT 190 turbo diesel.I have dreams of owning a diesel 175 but won't happen Ouch. Curious about your statement??
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

Victory, would you be willing to elaborate on your "100" series comment?? We have moved up from a WD and D-17 to a D-15 and a D-19(NOT ALLIS CHALMERS best tractor IMO) to now a gasser 180 and a XT 190 turbo diesel.I have dreams of owning a diesel 175 but won't happen Ouch. Curious about your statement??

My 175 just doesn’t impress me. Low to the ground clumsy tractor with uncomfortable seat. With the power director in low I’m doing the splits.
Herb(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 6:43pm
Adding forks to your loader bucket; this extends the load and increases the load on your hydraulics. The $15,000 garden tractor with loader appear to be designed for a less severe useage. Diesels are great but normally more expensive. Herb(GA)
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 9:36am
Boy, for us when Dad bought his 190XT in 1977, that was a huge step up from a D17.

Though we used that D17 right up to when he sold the cows in 1997..... and it got used less often for the next 15 years after along with the XT but being a gas the XT was finally parked because of lack of use. It is on the restoration list.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 9:21pm
We had a 170 with a loader that would move around 1 ton bags of landscaping dirt. and mulch just fine. Have a D15 now and can move half a ton on the 3 point carry all just fine. Would not put much more on 3 point and be able to keep the front on the ground. 3 point hitch is a Cross after market mounted to the Snap Coupler.
Either tractor would do you well, but hydraulic systems just get better on the newer machines.
I also have a recent 35 hp. Kubota, which does most of the work around our 8 acres. Cab is very nice in winter. Kind of getting spoiled to tell the truth.

Dave

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 7:27am
In this area, a D-14 would have to be completely restored to bring $3000. Most are lucky to bring half that price.
Sinbad View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinbad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 12:31pm
I would like to find something in the $3k - $4k range with a loader. The tractor won't be used much. Mow the yard twice a year, depending on how much moisture we get, move snow, not sure how often that will happen, at least once a month, I guess. Moving pellets would be twice, maybe 3 times a year, if it's really cold. It's difficult to find a good deal around here, everything is more expensive. I'm looking for a good tractor for a good price. I don't have an issue pying to have one shipped in, I've had other vehicles shipped in and out. I just want a good, orange tractor, they look so good when they are done.

Have many neighbors that have newer $15k+ tractors but I can't see spending that kind of money on one I won't use on a weekly basis, at a minimum.
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Sinbad Sinbad wrote:

Hello Everyone,

New member here. Looking for a tractor recommendation to do a few things around our land. We have 6 acres and looking to mow, move snow and remove a pallet of 1 ton of pellets out of a truck and into a garage. I'm looking at the WDs and the D series tractors with a wide front and a loader. I can get a mower anywhere, if it doesn't have one, but I am looking at getting one with the loader already attached. I'm not looking at spending a lot of money as this will be a low use tractor. The problem is, here in Colorado, everything is more expensive, and low availability. Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!!

I would recommend a D17, 170, 175 or 180. If you find a D17, install the front hydraulic pump and get an all hydraulic loader with pallet forks. A 170, 175 or 180 would already have the capacity for an all hyd loader to lift at least a ton of weight. My 170 gas never was without a loader during its life and I have lifted a whole allis C tractor with it and almost a whole WD tractor off the ground. The d17, 170 and 185 are built strong enough for that kind of loader work. The 180 is slightly better with a beefier front end, also better because you sit up higher, but is less manuverable for mowing around obstickals. The d17 is built heavy enough to lift 2000 lbs, but if you go over a plowed field with your 2000lb load on the forks, it might end up on the ground. Torque tub is plenty strong, no worries there. You should be able to assemble a D17 with hyd loader & ft pump for less than $6000 in my area. 170/175 would be about $7000 with loader. The 170-175-180 all have heavy factory 3-point hitches so a mower will go right on. https://madison.craigslist.org/grd/d/la-valle-allis-chalmers-170/7017865326.html

www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic