This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Combine choices.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 9:06am
A Rotary Gleaner can be set-up to harvest ANY crop. Some equipment is added or changed, but they can be adapted to many different crops.
Sponsored Links

allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 5:00pm
I have to say we have zero dock at the elevator for trash or cracked grain in beans and corn with a late model 4420. It does have electric float and is very nice to use with the flex head. The only waste I can complain about is barley . I see a little come back in the beans. Maybe a rotary next but I’d like to see a gleaner first working.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by modirt modirt wrote:

Question about the rotary Gleaners.......can they be setup to harvest small grain and seed crops like red clover, fescue, etc, or are they mostly for corn, soybeans, wheat, etc?

We ran red clover with a R52 even have a small seed screen for it.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by allisbred allisbred wrote:

We love our Allis tractors and have several, but only one combine.   When taking off grain, time is essential, sometimes losing a day can be detrimental. We have thought several times about getting a Gleaner and something bigger than the 4420 w/15’ header. Ours has been very reliable and Deere has a lot of parts support around here. Not sure what you lost but, there are a lot of those machines out there with low hours. Seems like     the 6620’s always have a ton of hours and maybe not worth buying. I just saw a nice low hour 4420 on Craigslist local for 14k. Think I’d stick with it and save yours for parts. JMO

Our Gleaner dealer is 2.5 hours away I don’t bat an eye at that. Rotary Gleaners are way way simpler than red or green. Never had one but I wouldn’t be afraid of a N5 even. Buddy grew up on a 3300 now has a R50. Learn from our misery make sure it has a radiator.
PeteMN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 7:09pm
Called a dealer for a LH spiral snap roll point today (black cornhead) and he said it's no longer available.  Those machines are getting old enough that you need to think about parts availability.  The other option is to pick up a salvage unit for spare parts.  Luckily my neighbor had some salvage row units that I was able to get the parts off. 
ranger43 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by PeteMN PeteMN wrote:

Called a dealer for a LH spiral snap roll point today (black cornhead) and he said it's no longer available.  Those machines are getting old enough that you need to think about parts availability.  The other option is to pick up a salvage unit for spare parts.  Luckily my neighbor had some salvage row units that I was able to get the parts off. 

We never cared for the gleaner snapping roll design....or the entire head for that matter..I remember 35 years ago a spiral point for our A238 cost $55 from the AC dealer. My dad about flipped his lid. When we went to the deere heads we could buy the hole straight snapping rolls for the for the same price.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 8:08am
Get the spirals rebuilt by a metal, welding shop. Spirals for my hugger from AGCO this year were $101 each and then they gave me a 10% discount so about 10 bucks off that. A spiral after market, not Deere, for a 1290 Deere head is about the same price.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 8:53am
As with any brand, it's the experienced knowledge of how to properly setup the machine. Thanks to Tbran & DrAllis' gleaner pointers, their advice has assisted me numerous times over the years. To that end, I have operated other brands with comparable results. But, I prefer the gleaner for simplicity. 

Yes, the biggest drawback is the distance to my AGCO dealers. But that being said, I must admit all my AGCO closest dealers will usually direct ship me parts which saves my travel time/expense to dealership, dealership inventory, & simplifies shipping. So when something breaks on my gleaner, I look up my part number in gleaner parts book, call that part number into AGCO dealer parts person, & if its available - get it direct shipped to me from Batavia or maybe another dealer's inventory. So, one phone call & it's maybe on its way via UPS. Thats a terrific value.  

Edited by AC7060IL - 14 Nov 2019 at 8:54am
studeranch View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studeranch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 10:33pm
too bad you are so far from Montana,   We have a neighbor with a 6620 that he can't get anyone to buy or even trade.
Trinity45 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinity45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 7:28am
Originally posted by tomstractorsandtoys tomstractorsandtoys wrote:

I know this is an Allis forum but I would look at getting a Deere 6600. The latter ones have a 404 engine and most of the parts will interchange with your 4420. Dad had several Gleaner machines E,E III and an F. He went to a 3300 and later a 4400. In corn the Gleaner was a great machine but we had some hills and with heavy straw (usually 100+ small square bales per acre) the Gleaners would let to much grain go out the back. He never cut beans with the Gleaners but was told they were very good.  The Gleaner was easier to work on but Dad thought they needed worked on a little more often than the Deere machines did. Tom
In my area the green ones in corn tend to run too much out the back especially when they are run too fast in heavy corn.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

If you are looking at saving time, stick with the Deere, it will save you on sowing your next crop!

Bah.....I can set my 4420 deere just fine.

To the OP, what happened to your 4420 to render it dead?

Yeah, I see the fields around here where the Deere guys set theirs just fine too! Anyone can tell them by the green strips in the fields after sprouting!

Maybe so. But you haven’t seen my fields. I drive all around, see fields like you’re talking about, and see all colors of equipment parked nearby. It’s 99% the operator. Just as your dig on Deeres, there’s digs on Gleaners. I don’t dig on them, I’ve never owned or operated one. Nearest dealer is god knows where. Equally, I’m not in love with my combine. I bought it because it was a fair price, runs fantastic, was close enough to drive home, and the dealership is close by. And there’s 1000’s of them, so used parts are often attainable.

From all my reading and research, I’ve formed my own opinion, and yes, it’s just an opinion. In comparison to other similar size machines from the era, until rather recently even, a Deere had more horsepower. You could even say a bit too much? You can make your settings then push it and overload it pretty easily and spit grain out the back, while the engine isn’t pulled down yet.

Say what you want, I’m proud of my clean fields and clean samples. It can be done and I’ve learned to do it.

I have a rock trap as well. Never have damaged something from a rock. Maybe there’s something to that but I’ve not had a problem.

To the OP, a 6620 has a hydro, a little nicer setup than the 4420’s ground drive.
ranger43 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

Get the spirals rebuilt by a metal, welding shop. Spirals for my hugger from AGCO this year were $101 each and then they gave me a 10% discount so about 10 bucks off that. A spiral after market, not Deere, for a 1290 Deere head is about the same price.

The old deere design was a one piece design no separate spiral and to me that was so simple and effective.
dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 7:02pm
a guy can get a 7700 or 7720 low hours bigger combine an not spend a lot of money' there is a lot of them out there. they don't throw your grain out the back when there set right. also will run a 8 row head. stay with the jd.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 7:32pm
I'm not gonna knock the deere,, they can do the work,,just takes an "operator", I ran a 7700 on wheat harvest back in the middle 70's,,, done a good job, and I was used to running the CII that my Dad had set perfectly.....
the only bad about the Gleaner I can think of,, is the belts,,, most of the bearings, chains, sprockets can be found at your local machine shop, now stuff like cylinder bars and concaves, raddle chains, and such will need to be ordered,,,, places like Abiline Machine, shoupe, etc. will have them,, you will know when them big things need to be ordered....also, EASY TO WORK ON...

all the main drive stuff is under the seat on a JD... not fun to change the drive belts...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 8:07pm
Mayer’s have a nice looking R42 on Facebook
clarkscreek View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkscreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 8:48am
I was planning on spending 5000 or less, but lets say I did pony up the money for an r42 how easy to adapt my 443 and 213 Deere heads with sprocket type hookups?
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 9:55pm
I would buy a 218 or 918 to put on it, then just drive it with drive shafts.
Don't think you can drive fast enough with a 13' head to keep it full.
I'm with you on the JD head.      MACK
clarkscreek View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkscreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 4:08am
The reason for the 13 ft is for the narrow lanes and gates. Any bigger and I'll spend more time taking the head on and off than cutting.
chuck linn View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck linn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 4:36am
Best part of a deere is the time to repair it or having seat fall on your head while changing belts. Have used 6600 and 7700 both very hard to work on gleaner is much easier to work on and does a better job
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 1:08pm
PeteMN I just priced left & rt spirals and extensions for black head. Numbers have changed from parts book but no mention of NLA. Usually if priced they are available. Wonder how good your parts guy is. Took mine a bit to find it all.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 17 Nov 2019 at 1:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic