This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying a Tractor- Opinions on this Allis 7040?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 6:34pm
I'm not a fan of them either- the duals are pretty worn out too. Our old 4520 Deere had an Armstrong on it and it wasn't anything great either. When it comes time for tires, I'm going for the Firestone style- they just seem to pull a LOT better. Then again, when you're baling straw, you really don't need much in the way of pulling power
Sponsored Links

AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 7:31pm
I bought a 1975 model 7040 PD a couple years ago and really like it. It needed some lovin' but I got it reasonable, not quite as cheap as you did. The main issues I had with it were leaks. 2 of the four long hydraulic hoses running from the steering cylinder up to the steering wheel were leaking bad, wore through from tilting the steering wheel for 40 years I guess. Right where they enter the cowling under the hood going into the cab. Not a real fun job but got 'er done, did all 4 hoses since I was in there. The exhaust manifold was cracked/leaking so bought a used center section and fixed that (3 piece manifold). The power steering cylinder seal was leaking so that was another thing I fixed. Return?? line from injector pump was cracked and dripping fuel so fixed that. Drain plug in side of engine block was drooling anti freeze, of course when I went to tighten it she broke off so had to drill that out and clean up threads - fixed that. It seemed like it was leaking from every orifice at first but now they are all fixed and she stays pretty dry. Put 4 new Firestones on it last spring so I assume they will outlast me. Also replaced the non working Niehoff alternator with a new Shoup Delco. It is also way overkill for my little farm but you can get them so darn cheap it's kind of a no brainer. The 20 speed is easy to drive, just a Hi Lo range lever to the right and a 5 speed stick between the knees, then you can shift the hi lo power director buttons on the floor on the go. Every time you clutch the power director automatically goes back to the lo side. The 426 is a nice sounding, strong engine for that hp range. A little thirsty compared to the 301 but not too bad if you're not working the snot out of it. Good luck with your new toy.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 9:54pm
To answer your question on how to shift the 7040 power director tractor with it running: 1st push the clutch in, 2nd you take the range lever out of park and select either high or low with the lever that is towards the front of the side console, 3rd select which gear of the transmission you want with the lever between your legs, 4th let out the clutch slowly, 5th you can then use the button on the floor to shift from low to high for the power director. When you press in the clutch, the power director should return to the low side. I hope this helps
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 8:46am
Just to add/ clarify a bit what the guys are saying, yes you shift the buttons on the floor on the fly.  What I think is lacking in this statement, is you shift the range and gears at a COMPLETE stop, not just "clutched", unless you're very experienced and a bit lucky.  Guys say they do it, I don't, you're supposed to be stopped to shift those.
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 1:24pm
That makes sense- just like how our White was- They're unsynchronized gears. You never change anything other than the foot buttons while moving
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 8:33am
When stopping, push clutch pedal down to just about the bottom of travel. The last inch or so of travel is for the transmission brake, so you don't want to be applying that when tractor is moving. It is only meant to stop the gears from free wheeling, to allow you to shift without grinding. You'll get used to it really quick, that if when wanting to shift the 5 speed, and it doesn't quite want to drop into gear, just release the clutch pedal an inch or so, to allow the shafts to slightly rotate. It will drop right into gear once you get the hang of using the inching(clutch) pedal. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic