This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying a Tractor- Opinions on this Allis 7040?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 8:03am
It’s close enough to test drive. If I had to, I could even drive the tractor home, though it would be way easier to just use one of the neighbors Kenworths to get it. I just want to make sure I’m not walking into a machine that’s a known problem model, or that just wouldn’t work for us. Glad to hear that you could bale with a 7060- that eases my largest worry a lot.

What we really need is someone with another 2-105 or 7000 for sale. Unless one of you guys here is selling something, this 7040 may be one of the only feasible options
Sponsored Links

Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 10:45pm
If oil is getting in the coolant, I would suspect the oil cooler first, that would be an easy fix...
I looked at that 7040,but decided it was to far away..if its close enough, go look and see if you can test drive

I used my 7060 on my 4570 hesston baler, I thought it worked great, the cab does seem kinda small and not for someone that might be claustrophobic, and like Darrel said, their kinda hard to get into,I put one of toms door shock kits on mine.now I'm gonna try and build some different steps
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 9:34pm
I need to be like five of me- I've checked in here now and again, but never had the time to post, or anything to say other than "*$%@ neighbor's John Deere broke again"

I plan on keeping the White and getting it fixed someday (That's farmer slang for "I'll probably never actually get it done", right?)

There's a reason I'm nobody's mechanic. I can't imagine how much money it would cost to have a shop split the tractor to put a new clutch in there (Throwout bearing is at least part of the problem, but I haven't driven it since the clutch acted up). The engine has been putting oil in the coolant for the last few years (She needs a quart of oil every two hours), so I'm pretty sure the head gasket is screwed up, and I can't imagine how bad the rest of the engine looks

I'm a huge fan of the White transmission- the Over/Under works great for baling. The problem out here is just that you don't find tractors. I've checked the dealer pages- the Whites and Allis stuff I've found at dealers seems to be more than we can afford, and most of the stuff out here is John Deere, which will be way over budget.

I'm hoping we can find some private seller with an extra tractor that they'll sell, but out here, it just isn't happening. That Allis looks like one of the only things I've found that might be in our price range. If it wasn't for the tillage, this would be way easier! I've found tons of 80 HP baling tractors Big smile
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 9:06pm
Long time no hear!  I was thinking about you recently, the fact that you hadn't been on the forum for a while.
As for the 7040, they are a good solid tractor, that one is getting up in hours but if the price is right, say $5,000 or less, you probably won't go wrong.  I wouldn't worry about having too much power for your baler, you just have to not push it to hard.  To be honest,
I think the white trans is better then the AC because it has the 3 speed power shift.  For about a thousand bucks you can buy a rebuild kit for the 105 and a clutch shouldn't cost much more then $100 if it just needs a clutch disk.  That said, having two tractors can make life a lot easier if one goes south.  My 2 cents.

Edited by JohnCO - 06 Nov 2019 at 9:12pm
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 9:00pm
Welcome back to the forum Matador. I don't exactly know what to tell you about the 7040. Glad that you are leaning towards orange. For your use, a 7040 probably wouldn't be ideal, but would work. I certainly wouldn't pay 7500 for it. I really can't think of any weak points with it that wouldn't be present on any other 40 year old tractor. 7040's were a rock solid tractor, but depending on care, or lack of, that previous owners gave it can have a lot of bearing on it. Not the easiest tractor to get in and out of, but very cozy inside. Some other colors are equally as hard to get in and out of. Darrel

Edited by darrel in ND - 06 Nov 2019 at 9:01pm
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 7:55pm
A little about ourselves since I've been gone for awhile from the forums:

We farm about 100 acres, all small grains, and run a straw bale business on the side. Our only tractor is a White 2-105, which is giving up the ghost (Engine needs to be rebuilt and the clutch is going out), so we're looking to replace it. We both loved the White- it felt about the right size to us, and the transmission setup worked nicely with our small square baler. I'm not sold on any particular brand, but I've been really impressed with our Gleaner, so I'm definitely open to something orange.

--------

I found this Allis 7040 coming up on an online auction that's close enough I could pick it up and save on trucking: https://www.bigiron.com/Lots/Allis-Chalmers70402WDTractor-3

My worry is that it's too big to run our baler (New Holland 276). I know it's complete overkill, but I'm just afraid that it's too big to handle the job. Am I worrying about nothing, or is this a concern?

If this tractor will work, I'll go take a look at it. I don't know anything about these machines though- please give me the good, bad, and ugly on them so I know what to look for. Whatever tractor we get will probably be my father's last- I want it to be a good one that'll last him. I'll continue the straw operation when he retires, but not the rest of the farming

Our budget is about $7500, and we're flexible. We just need something with 100HP or more, and a cab. If this machine isn't a good fit, or if any of you are selling a tractor, please let me know. The last time I bought a machine off this forum, we ended up with what my father called "the best combine he's ever run" Wink

Edited by matador - 06 Nov 2019 at 7:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic