This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cordless Drill/Drivers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhankins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 7:30am
i have the Ryobi 18v tools and like them for what I use them for.
Not long ago the batteries were going bad,and made the mistake of buying some on e-bay.
 One of them lasted about 2 days,and the other lasted for a week.When I contacted the seller,they offered ma a $1.50 refund.After getting pay pal involved,the said I could return them at my expense,for a refund,but had to ship them to the seller in China,which was going to cost more than the batteries.Sucked it up to experience.
 Home depot then had a sale where you could buy 2 batteries and get a tool of your choice,so went that way,and all is goodSmile
Sponsored Links

Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 7:59am
Originally posted by mhankins mhankins wrote:

i have the Ryobi 18v tools and like them for what I use them for.
Not long ago the batteries were going bad,and made the mistake of buying some on e-bay.
 One of them lasted about 2 days,and the other lasted for a week.When I contacted the seller,they offered ma a $1.50 refund.After getting pay pal involved,the said I could return them at my expense,for a refund,but had to ship them to the seller in China,which was going to cost more than the batteries.Sucked it up to experience.
 Home depot then had a sale where you could buy 2 batteries and get a tool of your choice,so went that way,and all is goodSmile

I experienced the same thing with the batteries I got from eBay. They look like DeWalt batteries, but the brand name is Vanon. They're junk, but I've been using them anyway. They stay charged ten minutes - tops. And you are very limited to what you can do with the drill because it has no power. One of them won't stay snapped in the drill. It falls out all the time. These batteries were cheap, but like the old saying goes, " You get what you pay for".
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 8:41am
I've standardized on the Ryobi 18V 'systems'. 3 yrs ago one 'died' and I can't import batteries from China ( lithium vs planes, sigh..). Anyway for $99 I got drill,driver, 2 batts, charger...then decided to tear into the battery pack. it has 5 '18650' cells in it, 4 OK, 1 low. 'zapped' it with 3.6V  wallwart for 1/2 hr..got close to 3 volts, reassembled and used Ryobi charger... been fine ever since .So now I have brand new in box  'spares'...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 8:51pm
I bought a B&D Firestorm kit about five years ago.  Brand new, out of the box, with store receipt in hand, plugged in the charger, charged one battery.  Connected it to the drill, went to drill a hole, and it made about six turns, then nothing.  Switched the battery to the circular saw with no blade, and it turned about a quarter turn and stopped.  Put it back in the charger, and the charger flashed "Battery Bad".  I tried the other battery, it flashed "Battery Bad".

I called B&D, they said "Take it back to the retailer", so I did.  Retailer showed me their B&D policy sheet, indicated to ship it, with receipt, in original packaging, back to B&D, so I made a copy, shipped the whole deal.  Eight weeks later, a box arrived from B&D, I opened it, and the SAME STUFF was in there, with a note that warranty return policy did not cover inoperative merchandise.

I'll never buy a B&D again.  Yep, made by same folks as DeWalt... they started the black-and-yellow because their orange-black products wouldn't sell (wonder why?)

All I wanted, was a working charger.  They not only had a failure in quality assurance, they really failed in customer service.  I still have DeWalt corded tools, but as they fail, I dispose them, and seek products elsewhere.

My most recent drill is a Ridgid... I bought a 1/4" impact gun, and an oscillating multi-tool, all running on same battery.  They're okay.  Drill chuck is perpetually loosening up.  The impact gun's bit-retaining nose went to crap when I had one bit break off at the 'neck', and the fragment wouldn't release from the magnet.  While trying to extract the bad piece, the whole nose came apart, sent the three retainer balls into dark corners, and the retaining ring would not seat... so now, any bit that goes in, gets held with gaffer's tape.

My 1/2" impact wrench is a Ryobi, with the large battery.  Unlike the Rigids... the Ryobi is NOT a brushless, and it is absolutely clear that there's brushes, because it's constantly throwing sparks out the vents... since day 1.  Brush-type motors don't last but a fragment of the life of a brushless system, and as they wear, the brushes become much less effective, sothe motor loses power, and consumes substantially more battery power.  Given the choice, always choose brushless.

Chargers and batteries... the fancy batteries and chargers both have microprocessors, and BOTH my Ryobi, and my Ridgid cordless tools are worthless anytime ambient temperatures are above 80F, or below 40... and not only won't they OPERATE, they won't CHARGE.  When I'm on winter jobsites, I need those tools to be functional when it's -20F, so best I can do, is keep the chargers and tools in the front seat of my service truck, with the engine on.  As the tool cools off, I hafta throw it back in the truck.  I pull out my older Hitachi drill, slap a battery in it, and go... it doesn't care about the temperature.

I have had batteries rebuilt by my local Batteries Place...  and I've had oh... 75% success.  For the ones that don't, I take 'em back to Batteries Place <;-)  to get re-rebuilt, and usually they come out okay, but in the scheme of things, when I'm on a job, and a cordless tool bites dust, I expense a replacement tool, and the failed one goes back home to my garage, and if I give the batteries a rebuilt on my own dime, I expect to get a few years of casual home op before they become recycleable.  Like brushes, motor bearings don't last forever, and when THEY start to drag, battery life goes to crap too.

Cordless tools are great, and they suck.   Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. LOL
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 1:44am
I have had Milwaukee, Makita, and Dewalt.  After a couple of years, if that long, the batteries have all gone south....which we all knew would happen.  Then one day I found the guarantee by Rigid.  All you have to do is get online and register the BATTERIES and when the go kaput, you notify the and they will send new ones to you.  When you get the NEW ones, you just go online and register them and they are guaranteed for life too.
SO, until my drill or the impact goes to heck, I've got FREE batteries for LIFE!!
Anybody want to buy some Milwaukee stuff??  I've even got the grease (super charged) gun too.  THREE sets of tools and 5 batteries to get rid of.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic