This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cordless Drill/Drivers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 9:17pm
X2 on the ryobi 18 volt line.  Batteries haven't changed in design, in years.  They have gone to Li-ion batteries, though, and they can't take freezin weather...  Other than that, I love them.  2 favorite tools are the impact driver drill, and the 4-1/2" grinder.  Oh, and if you want batteries, there are aftermarket batteries, on the innernut, at about half the price that HD sells them for...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 8:56pm
Get the Bauer line or Hercules line from Horrible Fright and buy a couple of the larger batteries. They cost a little more but are still less expensive that Dewalt. I have two driver drills, two 1/4 impact drivers and a 1/2 impact all Dewalt 18V and the batteries are slowly dying. Bought a Bauer driver drill , 1/4 impact and hedge trimmer along with a couple of extra batteries a couple of months ago. So far I am happy with them. Thanks for the heads up on the online Dewalt batteries, I was thinking of ordering some. Batteries Plus can rebuild the Dewalt batteries but the last time I checked a rebuild was $49 and back them I could buy a pack of two from Lowe's for $98 on sale and get a 10% discount on top of that.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 8:55pm
I'm still on my 4 year old Ryobi 18+ kit from HD,though I've bought 2 more as the 'kits' are cheaper than just batteries ! Aside from being dirty they still work very well.(have 2 brand new ones in boxes still), 3rd set came with an EXTRA battery too ! I 'rescued' an old style Ryobi recip saw, took out the safety and batteries fit/run fine(makes great pruner BTW) Yeah, it makes ZERO sense...like WHY could I buy the ice maker unit for my LG fridge $100 CHEAPER AND free delivery from a 3rd party and NOT directly from LG ?

Also..
I use a car battery to power a 1200 watt UPS that powers an electric polesaw. Allows me to stand in my 5by8 trailer to prune branches safely .. D-14 pulls trailer...

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 8:45pm
After having all my tools stolen when my work truck was taken in 2005 (I got the truck back without any tools), Makita and Milwaukee had just come out with their 18 volt systems.  I picked Makita because I had always had their tools.  Yes, the batteries are expensive! After buying the third battery I usually just buy a new kit!  Now they came out with their 36 volt system (same battery, just 2 on the tool) and LOVE them!  I rigged up a deep cycle marine battery with a 500 watt inverter so I can charge them up with out 110 volt available.  Cordless tools are not for the faint of heart.  They are expensive to operate, but save an equal amount of time, IMHO!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 8:36pm
A cordless drill is one of the handiest most convenient tools I've ever used. I love them, I've had several over the years. The same thing always happens with all of them. The batteries will eventually no longer take charge, and the drill becomes worthless. What's the point in buying a drill that will last you a lifetime if the batteries are only going to last three years? I have two nice Dewalt drills. All four original batteries are long gone. About two years ago I bought a new battery at Lowe's. I gave $70 for it. The only reason I didn't get two is because it would have cost as much as a new drill. How can they sell a drill, two batteries, charger, and case for about the same as two batteries? The battery I got at Lowe's I believe was better then the original ones, but now it's starting to show its age. I went back to Lowe's the other day to get yet another one, but they no longer had that kind. That's another bad thing about cordless drills, they keep changing them. The new batteries didn't look anything like my old one. So, I went on line and found what I needed. A two pack for only $27. Well they came today, and they are junk. I charged one up, and the drill only had half the power as normal. It wouldn't even sink one 2 1/2 inch screw before stalling out. So I'm thinking I'm done buying the name brand Makita, Dewalt, and Milwaukee. Harbor Freight has a cordless drill for $16.99. If it only last a year, throw it all away and get another. It will be cheaper in the long run. They're all disposable in my opinion. Sorry for the rant, but what do y'all think?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic