This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chainsaw opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 4:11pm
Thanks for all opinions, just looked at a MS 251 Stihl and I'm thinking that maybe the one , but there was a 251 C and C BE , abbot sure on differences except price
Sponsored Links

klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 4:43pm
Both Homelite and the Dealer down the road from me are gone. And I remember Elwyn telling me all chainsaws will cut wood unless you put the chain on backwards!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Originally posted by 200 10and20 200 10and20 wrote:

Doug buy the 029 hell of a saw I'm 64 and I love mine had it a couple years. Sweet saw don't buy a Husquvarna you would be better of with a axe!!
Joe, HOW MANY chainsaws have you owned?  How many trees have you cut down?  People have different opinions and Doug has asked for them.  WHY would you say that a Husqvarna is worse than an axe?  How many have you ever used??!!

I've used HUNDREDS of saws.  Yes, that is right HUNDREDS!!  On our little city of over 50,000, the fire department of which I was a member for over 30 years, used both for a while, but just about everyone would rather use the Husqvarna.  That is all we had on the rigs for the last 15 years or so.

How many fire department axes have you ever used Joe?  So, you opinion is welcome, but when you start spouting something that isn't true, you had better be prepared to back up anything you've stated.

Sorry to the rest of you guys, but up until now, everyone has stated which saw they like and the reasons for doing so.  No one, up until now, has said anything degrading about another manufacturer.  Give an educated opinion if you want.  Two years is not long enough to form an opinion.  I'm 70 and I've had mine for OVER 30 years.  Now THAT'S an educated opinion.

If you like your saw, say so.  If you don't like another that you have no experience with, don't say anything.

Sadly, I must know how in the !@#$ you could have run HUNDREDS of saws ?? Is this an accumilation of the SAME saw, variations of the SAME manufacturer ?? Amazes me to this day that the FIRST thing a f/d does is cut 4'x4' holes in a 2 story home roof for a skillet fire on the first floor LOL!!! Just wondering, and ECHO is the only brand to run IMO.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 9:17pm
here is the "B" and "E" added to the Stihl

More information
  • STIHL Easy2Start™ (E)
    The STIHL Easy2Start™ system makes starting STIHL outdoor power tools almost effortless, eliminating the need for a strong pull of the starting cord. This advanced starting system is designed to make starting STIHL products easier. The specific system may vary by model, but in each case, a quick pull overcomes the engine’s compression to minimize the strength and effort required to start. Available on selected products.

• Quick Chain Adjuster (QCA) (B)
    The Quick Chain Adjuster (QCA) (B) allows the user to adjust the tension of the chain without the use of tools. This allows for easy chain adjustment.

• Like them all, but love the "B"s.
    Mactractor View Drop Down
    Orange Level Access
    Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 9:43pm
    Got a mixture of both Stihl and Husky as I would watch the loggers switch back and forth between the two brands as the models changed and they are still doing that. Heard a while back my dads old Pioneer is still running for its present owner.
    JC-WI View Drop Down
    Orange Level Access
    Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 2:21am
    Chainsaws... seems they all have a temperment of their own... some worse than others... and some better than others.
      Had pretty good luck with older Jonsereds, but don't know about the new ones. Actually liked the economy of the 52E cuts more than any other saw I had on a tank load of gas.
      Have Echo saws, but older models and they were good saws in the day, again, don't know about the new ones.
      Got a couple Stihl saws, used ones, the MS290 has been good, but the MS250 isn't as nice, might be the carb, or crank seals.
      Huskies? no Clue other than neighbor has to use ether on his to start the first time... but he is a little ruff on stuff too.
       I think I would like to try a new Echo... but then again, it would be nice if there was a hands on demonstration of all the saws to see what fits a person best... weight, balance, bar length, horse power, and torque... and if the thing feels flimsy.

Make sure the saw your buying isn't a cheapened version to sell cheap in a box store...
    I read on a tag of a newer Poolon the life expectancy of it was 50 hours. ... So look close to see if the cylinder wall is steel or chromed or just aluminum, and if the saw has sleeved or ball bearing on the crank... and then look on the internet to see what others have to say about the model your looking at.

Mark, I bought a saw at a pawn shop one time set up with the chain on backwards... and bought one that somebody had taken two chains to extend out for a long bar and one-half was riveted on backwards. Also bought one saw cheap because they said it was seized up... and got it outside and pulled the brake off and it fired right up. LOL you just never know.
    He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
    The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
    Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
    Orange Level
    Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 8:15am
    Stihl , run canned gas and never have a problem getting one to start. Friend cuts firewood for a living. He runs canned gas every 3rd time he fills saw . Makes sure canned gas is in it when it sits . Canned stuff is pricey but stuff sure rins better with it. Long shelf life , no ethanol, and no mixing .
    You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
    DMiller View Drop Down
    Orange Level Access
    Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 8:39am
    Wish they built saws as well as Brother In Laws old ProMac 1000, was a tad heavy but unstoppable with a chisel chain on a 28" bar. As my Poulan 3400, parts have pretty well disappeared for it too.
    Ray54 View Drop Down
    Orange Level Access
    Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 11:33am
    As was said about each saw not just the model or the brand has a personality Wink I think explains alot.
    Would explain how the BIL's little Hushy was a pain to start ether hot or cold.

The saw that most disappointed me was a Homelite Super XL that was not long before Homelite was bought out. Right on the cap it said mix less oil than the older ones used.I a lot of times still ran 32 to 1 rather than 40 or 50 to 1 as it went in other saws that still wanted 32 to 1. It and a cheapy Poulan both running when shut off, and next time I took them out seized. 

The little Echo has been the best starting saw ever. Been used on fence repair as much as wood cutting. Top handle so easy to hold corral board and cut. Perfect size to carry on barb wire fence work, or to brush out a tree.
    Sugarmaker View Drop Down
    Orange Level
    Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 9:33pm
    Folks,
    I use the small Stihl saw I think its a 025 ish unit? I just pick them up and use them when needed. It has the old man start. Love that feature! Works good for me. I dont cut as much wood any more. Backed over it with the Ford Jubilee this spring. Picked it up out of the lawn and started it. That's good enough for me. 

Had a old Poulan in the way back machine 40 years ago! Was good till it got warm then no start. The old McCullough's cut a bunch of wood but had issues and were not much better. 

Did wear out one small Stihl years ago cutting pallets to make syrup. Blew out the case. Junked it after several attempts to repair.

Keep your chain sharp!
    Regards,
     Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 Oct 2019 at 9:35pm
    D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
    weiner View Drop Down
    Orange Level
    Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 1:29pm
    Do I dare mention a Jonsered?  I bought this back in the 70`s and still runs fine.  Cleaned the carburetor once.  I will admit this saw is not a saw I use a lot of,  may sit on the shelf for weeks and sometimes months without being started. I burned wood back in the 70`s and 80`s,  but not any more.
    Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
    Orange Level Access
    Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 2:27pm
    Jonsered good saws, but after a time became a red and black Husky (they come outa the same factory)
    mdm1 View Drop Down
    Orange Level
    Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 3:45pm
    I have an Echo, a Husky, a Mac, a Sears(Poulan) and one no one has mentioned. A Lombard Super Lightning!! The Loggers I have talked to use either Husky or Stihl. Husky's are a faster easier to use saw. They said the air intake was set up to keep the saw dust from the air cleaner. But they said buy either. Man give Ted a break. 
    Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
    wjohn View Drop Down
    Orange Level
    Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 9:07pm
    If you get the MS 251 I will be curious what your thoughts are coming from an 038. The 038 is a good bit more powerful. I grew up running 028 Wood Bosses as we only heated with wood. Once I finished school and moved out I bought an MS 250 (almost identical to MS 251 power-wise). It's a great saw for me as I don't heat full-time with wood but I did notice the slight power difference when I cut into some 12" diameter honey locusts here.

I guess I'm a little worried you might not be getting a big enough saw, unless the 038 is overkill for what you do now.

Wish I could've found an 028 WB that I trusted but I just don't have faith that people on CL or FB have taken good enough care of a saw that old over the years. My MS 250 started after a few pulls this fall... Been sitting for a year, and the gas that was in it was 2 years old but at least it was ethanol-free 91 octane with the Stihl synthetic mix. My local Stihl dealer told me with the newer saws you don't want to keep pulling on full choke until you hear it fire, like I was used to with older saws. He said 3 pulls max and then flip it to half choke otherwise you'll flood it. I know some guys buy new saws and have a heck of a time starting them, and he seems to think that's a lot of the reason.
    1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
    1951WDNWWI View Drop Down
    Bronze Level Access
    Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1951WDNWWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 9:42pm
    I have the MS 251.  Runs forever on a tank of gas.  To do the same job with the old Homelite 360 would take four tanks of gas.
    Ted J View Drop Down
    Orange Level
    Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 3:12pm
    Originally posted by 200 10and20 200 10and20 wrote:

As usual you know everything!! I just gave my opinion like everyone else! Since you are the local know it all have at it!!!!! I have owned and used a lot of saws I wasn't talking about saws made 70 freaking years ago I was talking about a saw that is built today!!!!!!! What a company use to make and what they make today are all together different. You must have been awful busy using all those saws, the whole town must have burnt down while you was busy cutting the National Forest down!! And you think you know everything about Allis Chalmers. WOW!!
    Usually I just shake my head and forget about a blowhard like you seem to be.  But I had to get this off my chest.  Did I mention anything about a saw that was "70 freaking years" old?  NO, I did not.  Didn't I just STATE that I just bought a NEW saw and it's GREAT.  We have more trees in this town than just about anywhere in the nation.  You ever have a storm?  One that knocked down trees?  THAT is where I get most of my experience with saws in the last 50 years.  Previous to that, the ONLY heat we had at home was a wood stove.  Yes, I spent every winter cutting and splitting wood to stay warm.  That is what I consider experience.  I have NEVER said I know everything about Allis either.  I've stated that I have learned a lot from a lot of people on here.  These are facts.
    If you can't be positive, shut up.  You don't have to be derogatory toward another person.  That just shows your ignorance, it just shows your insecurity.

Sorry guys, you that know me know I'm not that kind of person.  It's just that I've dealt with people like him most of my life and since I can't get fired for it now, I had to get it off my chest.  Sorry for the rant.
    "Allis-Express"
    19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
    chaskaduo View Drop Down
    Orange Level
    Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 4:02pm
    It's OK by me Ted. Hope you feel better. I know I would. Thumbs Up
    1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
    200 10and20 View Drop Down
    Orange Level
    Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 4:03pm
    Your story TEDDY get over it! Didn't say anything about you as a person, gave my opinion on a chainsaw and being it wasn't the one you liked you went on a rant about me. I see on another thread that you are also a plumbing expert WOW not only did you saw a hole in everyone's house in Wisconsin you also plumbed all of them. We have all been thru storms, we had a major ice storm up home in 78 if I would have known you was a PROFESSIONAL CHAINSAW OPERATOR back then you could have saved us a lot of work! Teddy I feel sorry for you nothing to do but insult people that have different chainsaws than you. So now since my opinion is different than yours you want to run your mouth about me. All your blabbering tells me what kind of person you are. All I can say is maybe you should check your DEPENDS because I think they are full of it.

Edited by 200 10and20 - 14 Oct 2019 at 7:07am
    DMiller View Drop Down
    Orange Level Access
    Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 4:08pm
    From me too Ted, some times just need a rant.
    BuckSkin View Drop Down
    Silver Level
    Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 5:16pm
    Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Looking to up grade chainsaws , have a 038 Stihl Farmboss that I've had for 30 years, it works good but someone said an 029 super will out cut it big time and a lot lighter too,, any experience with them? What's everyone using?

I use my old 029 Stihl Farm Boss almost daily.
    I have a band-mill and use it extensively with that as well.
    The guy I used to work for had several Husqvarna; they will cut, but everything about them -- at least the ones he had -- is flimsy and easy to break, such as the ON/OFF, throttle, and oiler buttons; they didn't withstand the occasional tree falling on them very well either.
    Some people won't have anything else, so there you go.

I had not owned my 029 a week before I made some very important upgrades that made it a keeper.
    I discarded the "safety" chain; .325 pitch if I remember correctly -- whatever is standard for them.
    I got a different clutch housing with replaceable roller sprocket --- 3/8 pitch.
    I discarded the 16" original bar and replaced it with a 20-inch Oregon PowerMatch
    I use the NON-Safety old-timey Oregon chain -- 072 some-such-or-other.
    When I bought all this stuff, I got several of everything and enough chains to last me for decades, which is why the various part-numbers don't come to the top of my head.

The change to 3/8 pitch chain made all the difference in the world.

If I had not made these modifications, I probably would not have kept the saw; as, all that "safety" crap turned a good saw into a useless toy.

Weight is NOT a factor in a chainsaw; if you can't swing a heavy saw for a few hours, you probably don't need to be using a light one either.

If I had it to do over, I probably would have went with the 039 Farm Boss of the same year.

I have always wanted an old-style 066, but have never had the extra money to buy one.

I hope this is of some use to you in your saw buying decision.

Around here, a person can get their nose bloodied or worse in a chainsaw brand discussion; people are sensitive about such things. 
    BuckSkin View Drop Down
    Silver Level
    Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 5:32pm
    Originally posted by Pat the Plumber CIL Pat the Plumber CIL wrote:

Stihl , run canned gas and never have a problem getting one to start. Friend cuts firewood for a living. He runs canned gas every 3rd time he fills saw . Makes sure canned gas is in it when it sits . Canned stuff is pricey but stuff sure rins better with it. Long shelf life , no ethanol, and no mixing .

I did not even know there was such a thing until I had a big pine limb to get into the electric transformer the other day and catch afire; that was a bit exciting. --- nothing I did; the wind did it.
    When the power company guys came with the bucket-truck, they had five one-gallon cans of the stuff sitting in the back of the truck.
    When I asked about it, they had no real better-or-worse answers; just that, the powers that be decided it was cheaper in the long run than having to make sure they had gas and oil-mix and always having to hunt down real gasoline and not the car stuff.
    And, there was always the possibility that someone assumed the jug had the mix already in it when it did not.
    They said the canned stuff was ever so much more convenient; and, with the canned stuff, there were no more costly mistakes.

For what it's worth, they use Stihl saws.
    Curiously, several of the other bucket-truck contractors around here have hydraulic-powered saws; but, the power company does not use them.
    Robert Musgrave View Drop Down
    Silver Level Access
    Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Musgrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 5:36pm
    X2 on the Dolmar (Makita)--PS-420 @42cc and 13,500 RPM w/bar and chain.  Fitted with 14" bar/chain.  I play back-up with son and son-in-law running big Makitas. New in 2012; replaced a Sachs-Dolmar Model 112 w/16" bar that was bought in 1985.  Awesome saw but servicing dealers are rare.  RLM
    BrianC View Drop Down
    Orange Level
    Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 8:26pm
    Pretty sure I read through the entire thread, but I didn't see it stated what the OP mainly uses his saw for. Probably NOT trunk trim at the Christmas tree farm.
    I think one needs a 14-16" mini saw for cleanup in the tight areas. And a 20" or bigger for the good size work.
    One thing I found out was that if the guide bar slot width is really worn, even a new chain will not cut. I guess the links just lean away too much and bounce off the wood.
    Ethanol gas hasn't caused me problems lately.
    The Husky 455 Rancher original 20" bar doesn't allow for enough chain tightening range.
    Their bar with the replaceable tip allows use of more adjustment range.
    Better fuel economy is a good thing, also maybe the saw stinks less.
    I think they are all noisy, no one has a muffler breakthrough?
    The saw is getting heavier for as the years roll on.

I can remember when we mixed 16:1 ratios. And fiddling with points. So fondly reminiscing about old saws is quaint, but I would look only at the new generation.
    When they add cat converters, EGR and smog pumps, then another story.

Orange Level Access
    Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 12:28am
    Was told the new Stihl 362 pro thinning saw has electronic engine control, as does the Husky equivalent. That stopped me from buying one when I wanted a saw in that power to weight range after all the trouble I've had with electronic control in vehicles.
    BuckSkin View Drop Down
    Silver Level
    Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 1:01am
    Originally posted by Mactractor Mactractor wrote:

Was told the new Stihl 362 pro thinning saw has electronic engine control, as does the Husky equivalent. That stopped me from buying one when I wanted a saw in that power to weight range after all the trouble I've had with electronic control in vehicles.

My 80-yr-old mother bought a new self-propelled small push-mower, Briggs & Stratton engine with electric start, and it is electronic control; it also has a big sticker that says to never change the oil.
    It started really easy and ran great for about two mowings and hasn't hit a lick since.
    Nobody alive knows how to fix it.
    I won't venture a guess as to the brand but it is red.
    fixer1958 View Drop Down
    Orange Level
    Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 7:26am
    When the wife and I first moved to middle of nowhere the first year here I flat wore out a little Sears saw I acquired. Our primary heat is wood. That Christmas she bought me a Homelite Super XL 20" bar. She told me it was $550. I about had a stroke. She told me it had to stay in the garage and I can't keep it in the bedroom. That saw has cut a lot of firewood and 95% of it was hedge. Had to re jug twice because it doesn't really like ethanol. It's still going and looks nearly new and is the backup now.

Got a Stihl 291 farm boss couple of years ago. Good saw, little lighter. I'm happy with it.
    Should have gotten a 20" bar instead of an 18". I'm about due for a new bar anyhow may do it then.
    Have used Poulan and McCullough and wasn't that impressed.
    Used a big ole Husky for awhile and it seemed pretty stout but hard to start.
    Have a Homelite 360 that's a hell of a saw but once I get it started I'm to tired to cut wood.

ocharry View Drop Down
    Silver Level
    Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 10:56am
    ya know i been reading this whole thread here and i have not read anything about saw grades

i like husqvarna saws,,,,well my old ones anyway,,,i have an old husky 65 i bought new back in the late 70's,,,,still using it,,,put a set of points and condenser,,spark plug fuel line and filter in it over the 40 years its been in the wood,,,and it has seen a lot of wood,,we used to sell fire wood,,,lots and lots of fire wood,,,my dad and brother and myself all burned wood,,,,i still do,,,my friend just gave me his husky 65 he bought new,,,,reason is the saw shop he uses would work on it,,,,parts are hard to find,,,,i brought it home put a carb kit and fuel line and filter in it ,,,fired right off....i just bought another one,,,husky 65,,,guy said it wont run,,,i wanted it for a parts saw,,,,got it home,,,has good compression so i put a carb kit and fuel line and filter in it,,,,,3 pulls and it fired up,,,so i guess im looking for another part saw,,,,cut some wood with it yesterday,,,it will sling some chips too,,,so now i have 3,,,yes they are heavy,,,but not to bad yet,,,but a good cut means that you got the CHAIN right,,,its all about the chain boys,,,good sharp means you dont have to push the saw through wood,,,if the chain is right it will pull its self through the wood,,,kinda like pull the trigger and the saw will fall through,,,,yep thats it,,,full chisel that is,,,not simi

when these OLD saws were being made,,,they were the PROFESSIONAL grade saws,,,IIRC i gave around $450 way back then for my new saw,,husky 65,,,,dad always had stihl saws....041av and before my husky i had a 041 farm boss ,,it was loud and vibrated your hands to sleep,,,,i hated that saw,,,i think they were the pro grade saws back then ,,,,they were expensive too

the older saws were designed to run in the 8-9000 rpm range,,,,the newer saws run in the 13-14000 rpm range and now i think they are putting rev limiter coils in them,,,,so the cant self destruct ,,,,but i guess you could lean one out and wreck it that way too,,,,anyway

the point is,,,,,i think they make saws for the home owner,,,,and then the rancher farmer and then the PRO saws,,,,each grade comes with a higher price tag,,,SO,,,i guess IF YOU buy a more expensive saw and you take care of it,,, it WILL take care of you,,,if you buy the cheapest saw you can find,,,,well in a year or so you may need another one

as for the bar wear,,,if you know how thick the drivers are and the slot is getting loose you can move up to the thicker driver,,,some drivers are .050...if the bare wears you could move up to a .058 thick driver,,,,or to a .063 driver,,,so there are ways to remedy little problems,,,,also most guys dont ever turn the bar over,,,and the bar does need addressed from time to time also,,,,just things to think about 

i would like to get a husky 372 saw some day,,,but if you look you will see a saw named HOLZFFORMA ,,,these guys make most of the replacement parts for the saw companies,,,now they make whole saws,,,they are blue,,,and they have a very attractive price,,,a real husky 372 pro saw is in the $8-1000 when new,,,,the same saw from holzfforma ,,(parts interchange exactly),,is $3-350,,,,,,,power to weight on this saw is just about perfection

i guess the old adage pay once,,,cry once still works

one other thing ,,,i do use the gas that is delivered here,,dont know if it has ethanol in it or not,,,i put stabilizer in the big tank when it gets here,,,PRI-G,,,not sta-bil,,,,,BUT i only put what i think i will use in the saw,,,if i put to little i can always add more,,,prolly ready for a little break anyway,,,,BUT i never put the saws away with fuel in them,,,,i ALWAYS run them dry,,,just a little trick to save you guys some headaches,,,,it works

ok,,,i guess thats my .02

ocharry

DMiller View Drop Down
    Orange Level Access
    Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 12:33pm
    If looking to get a Commercial Grade Saw, check a site for Loggers, they will NOT buy a saw they cannot depend on no matter the price, and they generally do not buy cheap saws. If looking to go cheap then pays your money takes your chances, roll a Dice and grab any of them as all will cut wood.

Most of the non-commercial what are considered Hobby User saws are limited hours of service run them til they drop then pitch and buy another. Not about to lie and say any are better than any of the others as few are worth the cash anymore in limited use sales markets. Will generally run consistently for five to six years then throw problems that parts become an issue. Some will luck into great saws that seem to run forever and start like have starting motors, others are pull and pull and pull then run smooth as long as running.
    BuckSkin View Drop Down
    Silver Level
    Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 12:40pm
    I will say this about saw chains:
    Just for the record, I am way under the poverty level; I live in the poorest state in the nation in the 3rd poorest county of that state; needless to say, I don't have money to throw around.
    That being said, for most people, even professionals that use a saw for hours every day, it is a waste of time/money to hand-sharpen or pay someone to machine sharpen a chain.
    I have hand-sharpened many a chain and I have taken them into town and paid to have them machine sharpened.
    I finally figured out that my best option was to just swap on a new chain and be done with it.
    I still always keep a sharp file handy; and, only when I have a dozen or more dull chains, I will leave them at the sharpening shop; but, I am saving neither time nor money; and, the saw never cuts as good.
    The last batch of chains I ordered, Oregon Full-chisel 3/8 72DL, were $10.50 apiece; a quick EBay search shows them at around $16 now; a man's time ain't worth much if he can save money hand-sharpening a chain.
    BuckSkin View Drop Down
    Silver Level
    Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 2:20pm
    Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

others are pull and pull and pull

Like poor old Mel Gibson when he grabs that huge saw and we all think that nobody is going to mess with him now.............and then he pulls and pulls and pulls and it won't start...................the fact that it is so realistic is what makes it so humorous.
    Had it have started on the first half-pull, it would not have been realistic.
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
      Share Topic