This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chainsaw opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chainsaw opinions
    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 8:42am
Looking to up grade chainsaws , have a 038 Stihl Farmboss that I've had for 30 years, it works good but someone said an 029 super will out cut it big time and a lot lighter too,, any experience with them? What's everyone using?
Sponsored Links

nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:12am
Echo EV650, for 35 yrs. and still works good. It sawed a lot of wood and was backer over by my D17(dumb tractor), took 1 part for handle mount to repair.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:16am
I use Homelite SXL's have for years. ---The best brush saw is an Echo cs310 . I use an Echo cs 8000 on a sawmill attachment. Have several other oddballs tossed in, but they get the job done. ---General med. cutting I grab a Blue-Max. ---not a bad saw for the money. The sthil ms250 is on the de-barker. I had major starting problems with it and for a couple of years it sat in the junkpile.--drug it out and put a new chimina carb on it and now it starts/runs. former owner bought it new and never could get it started so he gave it to me.--I barely could start it so tossed it in the junk.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 10:17am
I have an 029 and a 440 Magnum, love them, had the 29 for maybe 15-16 years, never had an issue
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 1:14pm
Curious how much the 029 weighs,, spec on my 38 FB says 14 lbs and I believe it ! 20 years ago was no problem ,, pushing 50 now and Arthur Arthritus says differ !
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 1:31pm
I own a MS250, good saw for the money, mine (Knocking on wood) has never failed to start and run, also invested in a MS192, great little pruning saw. Have an OLD Poulan Countervibe 3400, has been THE best saw I ever owned, still starts and runs, smokes a lot these days as has HUNDREDS of hours on it, bought that one just at 35 years ago. Was when Hill Behan Lumber was in full business, they had it as a demo, would not run so I got it for $110 and tax, got it home had the chain guides in swapped where had chain pinched, swapped those was GREAT, two bars, who knows how many chains been on it, JUGS of chain lube.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 7:32pm
Still using and old Poulan 2300 CVA. I've had it since 1986 been throug a couple bars and many chains. Mostly I do trimming and take an ocasional tree down. It's a very light saw and suits my needs. If I needed a heavier saw I'd buy something else. I do have a husavarna but it's too heavy to be doing trimming above my head. My wife bought me a Remington weed wacker pole saw this year it's been great for cleaning up fence lines. Only has a 6" blade but you don't need much to keep the Russian olive branches trimmed back. And the long reach means I don't need to get into those thorny trees to trim.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 7:36pm
MS250 here............ great saw.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 7:48pm
We've 2 MS 250's at the farm the old one works great the new saw not so much. It burns up chains it's been back to the dealer twice. For some reason it doesn't oil like it should. If I could find out who borrowed them I'll dissasembled and check the oiler.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 7:56pm
I have a mid sized Echo. It has worn out several bars, numerous chains but it just keeps on running. I couldn't begin to count the truckloads of wood it has cut. After 20 + years of use I had to put a clutch in it. We were cutting hard wood that has been laying off the ground for years. The Echo dealer said it was totally unusual to replace a clutch on one.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 8:12pm
I like my Husqvarnas. Have a Homelite tophandle too. Great saws!
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 8:50pm
Stihl O26 and 461 plus a Husqvarna 240 for triming. The O26 I bought new 28 years ago. Still runs and cuts but beginning to show it's age!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 11:38pm
I've got a Husqvarna 141e that I've had for about 30 years or more.  It has never not started.  If it doesn't start on the second pull, then there is something wrong.  (Now that I've said that, it'll be a bear when I go to use it on Thursday.)
I just bought a Husqvarna 440e cause I got such a deal on it, I couldn't turn it down.

The Husqvarna is preferred by professionals and the Stihl is preferred by home owners.  That is a fact I found on the net when I was checking on my new saw.

All depends on what you are going to do with it.  Cut down BIG trees? Little trees and limbing?  The Husqvarna cuts faster, but the Stihl has more starting torque so it doesn't get stuck as easy.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 7:50am
Ted, where did you find the fact that Husqvarna was preferred by Professionals over Stihl? My experience in talking with Loggers in this area is price and Dealer parts availability. When I took a trip last year visit my daughter in Alaska I attended a Fair in Haines Alaska and they had a Logging Competition. I couldn't see a Husqvarna Saw there! All Stihl. Both Stihl and Husky make Pro Saws and Homeowners Saws. Now with. John Deere selling Stihl a lot of the small dealers are upset. Same with Husky with TSC and Big Box marts selling Husky. Buyer beware in the Big Box marts as you don't find pro saws or anyone that knows anything about them. I have had Homelite, McCullough still have the Stihl and now Husky. The Husky I bought at TSC because it was cheap. It is not a Pro saw and I have to adjust the carburetor a lot. I don't see this saw lasting as long as a Pro saw in either Stihl or Husqvarna. Goes back to the old saying you get what you pay for!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 8:04am
I got a McCulloch Eager Beaver 3.7"  610 16" Chainsaw, back in 93 and has had no problems ever starting or cutting. But like our old Allis's, parts aren't falling out of the trees. Wink  Should probly look for a parts one.

Edited by chaskaduo - 07 Oct 2019 at 8:07am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 8:55am
The logger that timbered off my woods used Stihl saws with a skip tooth chain on them.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 9:04am
Chas!!--I forgot the Eager Beaver 3.7.s, --I have a couple of them, still use them for some of the bigger stuff. --- We did firewood for 18 years and at that time used a new Homelite 8800 with a 36" bar to do the big stuff then the 3.7 for med and a baby beaver 2.0 for limbs. ---- later started getting unwanted saws and fixing them to run 235 Husky is a nice little saw, a bit heavier than the Echo 310. Blue Max is about the 235 weight, seams to cut faster as the chain speed is faster, which I don't care for. ---slower chain = more grunt, longer chain life, less heat build-up,etc. Poulans are ok too, I have several of them and use them too. ---I never was brand loyal  to anything! --- all brands have duds as well as great units. I seam to have the gotten only junk sthil ms 250! -- When I finally got to the problem and fixed that, now it starts pretty good, NOT as good as the Echos or homelites, or Husky, but now I can use it.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
200 10and20 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 9:16am
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Looking to up grade chainsaws , have a 038 Stihl Farmboss that I've had for 30 years, it works good but someone said an 029 super will out cut it big time and a lot lighter too,, any experience with them? What's everyone using?
Doug buy the 029 hell of a saw I'm 64 and I love mine had it a couple years. Sweet saw don't buy a Husquvarna you would be better of with a axe!!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 9:37am
Dealer service is the driving factor for me. I have two Stihl 028 Wood Boss models and love them, one survived a dive into 12 feet of water with not problems "stihl" going strong. And I was crazy enough back then to dive down into a tree top to find it. Confused Thinking of getting a 170 or 180 for limbing and light cutting. I need to try out the Jonsered 625 I traded a toy Poulan for but it has been way too hot here.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 10:03am
Originally posted by 200 10and20 200 10and20 wrote:

Doug buy the 029 hell of a saw I'm 64 and I love mine had it a couple years. Sweet saw don't buy a Husquvarna you would be better of with a axe!!
Joe, HOW MANY chainsaws have you owned?  How many trees have you cut down?  People have different opinions and Doug has asked for them.  WHY would you say that a Husqvarna is worse than an axe?  How many have you ever used??!!

I've used HUNDREDS of saws.  Yes, that is right HUNDREDS!!  On our little city of over 50,000, the fire department of which I was a member for over 30 years, used both for a while, but just about everyone would rather use the Husqvarna.  That is all we had on the rigs for the last 15 years or so.

How many fire department axes have you ever used Joe?  So, you opinion is welcome, but when you start spouting something that isn't true, you had better be prepared to back up anything you've stated.

Sorry to the rest of you guys, but up until now, everyone has stated which saw they like and the reasons for doing so.  No one, up until now, has said anything degrading about another manufacturer.  Give an educated opinion if you want.  Two years is not long enough to form an opinion.  I'm 70 and I've had mine for OVER 30 years.  Now THAT'S an educated opinion.

If you like your saw, say so.  If you don't like another that you have no experience with, don't say anything.
"Allis-Express"
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 10:19am
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

Ted, where did you find the fact that Husqvarna was preferred by Professionals over Stihl?
Mark, I found it here.

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/stihl-vs-husqvarna-chainsaws-2218119
"Allis-Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Joe, HOW MANY chainsaws have you owned?  How many trees have you cut down?  People have different opinions and Doug has asked for them.  WHY would you say that a Husqvarna is worse than an axe?  How many have you ever used??!!

I've used HUNDREDS of saws.  Yes, that is right HUNDREDS!!  On our little city of over 50,000, the fire department of which I was a member for over 30 years, used both for a while, but just about everyone would rather use the Husqvarna.  That is all we had on the rigs for the last 15 years or so.

How many fire department axes have you ever used Joe?  So, you opinion is welcome, but when you start spouting something that isn't true, you had better be prepared to back up anything you've stated.

Sorry to the rest of you guys, but up until now, everyone has stated which saw they like and the reasons for doing so.  No one, up until now, has said anything degrading about another manufacturer.  Give an educated opinion if you want.  Two years is not long enough to form an opinion.  I'm 70 and I've had mine for OVER 30 years.  Now THAT'S an educated opinion.

If you like your saw, say so.  If you don't like another that you have no experience with, don't say anything.
As usual you know everything!! I just gave my opinion like everyone else! Since you are the local know it all have at it!!!!! I have owned and used a lot of saws I wasn't talking about saws made 70 freaking years ago I was talking about a saw that is built today!!!!!!! What a company use to make and what they make today are all together different. You must have been awful busy using all those saws, the whole town must have burnt down while you was busy cutting the National Forest down!!ClapClapClapClapClap And you think you know everything about Allis Chalmers. WOW!!

Edited by 200 10and20 - 07 Oct 2019 at 10:54am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 11:08am
Usually don't see this kind of ornery until February or so.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 11:12am
Hey Tbone, I just gave my opinion like everyone else and apparently struck a nerve with Paul Bunyan.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 11:21am
I have used 6 saws in 50 years of cutting. Use to be Homelite but they have been thrown under the bus till there name was no worth saving. Echo saws have served me well but are not the most powerfull for size. But I don't hurry much anymore, and like how Echo starts compared to others.

Now for Ted's beloved Huskis brother in law bought a small trimming saw. From a full time saw and small engine shop. They said it was the best,could of been if it would of started good. They fussed with a number of times,never got better. The other Husky was a big one with 40+ inches of bar. Was only 3 or 4 months old and the first time I used it the dang think seized up.It had cut the big stuff in 2 other big oaks. Same gas in 2 or 3 other saws,I did not mix it or fill it just holding it in the big stuff. They did rebuild it on warrenty and since the BIL is gone it is here,and we use it time to time. But always the back of my mind will this thing blow up again.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 11:38am

Hey Tbone, I just gave my opinion like everyone else and apparently struck a nerve with Paul Bunyan.

Well alrighty then.

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 11:39am
started with Homelights (dad's), and thru the years had a few more, they were mostly always hard to start (lots of pulls). bought a new Echo and have had them about ever since. bought a new Poulan and ran it for a day, traded it off the next day for another new Echo. can't count how many semi loads of firewood or trimming I've done with the Echos. I've run Stihl's, they seem to run a lot higher RPM's than the Echos, oh and I did try a Huqusvarna in this bunch, still have it, but the carb needs work to stay running.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 2:45pm
Very very sad my image didn't show up.Unhappy

Anyway, in the waaaaayy back machine, dad had an old Poulan, the ones that were the color of a filing cabinet, weighed 100 pounds, ran about 10 RPM....LOLLOL  I remember him calling that thing some words I heard for the first time.  I'm a bit surprised to hear you guys praising Poulans.....I thought they had gone far downhill talking with the guys at work, but maybe not.

Then a buddy of his had a sharpening and saw work shop, set him up with a couple of McCullough saws.  Seemed.....average.  Then we got a  Deere, 80 EV, which was made by Echo.  Beast of a saw.  Would still be using it today, but the muffler is burned out and obsolete.  So it discharges right onto your hand and gets pretty warm in short order.

I have 2 MS 290's.  One is 10 years old, the other is 3 years old.  The older one has always been a cold blooded SOB, at least 10 pulls when it's been sitting.  Dealer swears there's nothing wrong with it.  Newer one starts on fewer pulls, but pulls harder.  It's got ever so slightly a bit more power than the older one, and I'm guessing by the feel it's in the compression (new vs. new that is).  Both great saws that I use a LOT.  18" bar on the new one, 16" on the older one.  Like to have something just a bit more powerful and maybe a 20 inch bar.  Me likes power.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 3:04pm
IF you have a good dealer get a Dolmar. Now known as Makita in the US. Built like a Stihl run like a Husky.
Goose View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 3:06pm
I like my Husqvarnas. I have seven of them, ranging from 38 cc to 65 cc. They're easy to work on, light and well balanced. They've had many hours of use and still running strong.

"People are human beings, produced by the society in which they live. You encourage people by seeing the good in them." ~ Nelson Mandela
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic