This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 655 Shuttle Clutch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeys250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 655 Shuttle Clutch
    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 3:14pm

New to the forum and new to owning a dozer. I picked up this 655 Track loader for $3k not to long ago, it runs great but it needs a shuttle clutch. I have the parts and the service manual and Im pretty mechanically inclined so I am going to tackle this one on my own.
So what i was hoping for is somebody has some pics or videos or just tips on splitting the case to get to the clutch out. Thats the only part Im really concerned with. I have searched for a while trying to find any videos on splitting a dozer/crawler and can not find anything.

Sponsored Links

Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 8:09pm
Have you checked the pressure to the shuttle shift valve ? or the filter up front behind the screen ? any leaks of convertor oil on the ground ?
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 8:14pm
does unit move in either direction? oh by the way welcome to the forum . Nice looking loader. I have Hd4 dozer and track loader . Hope I can help you .
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 8:42pm
you got a good deal 
I know skwat but wonder if clutch/shuttle can be pulled without splitting.........
does it have a plate you can remove and take a look?

HD3
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 10:32pm
must be split . 6 inch plate on side where lines go in but too small for shuttle removal .
Mikeys250 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeys250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 4:02pm
Thanks for the replies.

I haven’t checked the pressures. It runs strong for the first 20-30 minutes till it gets hot. I’m pushing trees on a hill so I’m running it hard. I know it’s slipping because I can hear it and I can idle down, get it to catch and then idle up and pull.
Any tips on splitting it?
Mikeys250 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeys250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 4:05pm
Also it’s weaker in reverse than forward when it starts slipping which is another reason I am ASSUMING the pressure is good.
The manual gives me directions on checking pressure so I will check it just to be sure. I was wrong one time before lol.
Big Jim View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 6:04pm
I think the clutches are alright. It sounds to me like when everything gets
hot the pump is sucking air on the return line. Check pressure when hot. then
check the rubber hose at the end of line next to the transmission. I think
this is where your problem is.
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 9:31pm
since it works very strong till it gets hot , it is not the clutches. Jim is right. suction line or pump , and check the filter for starters .
david a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 4:08pm
good place for parts redoing one in my 816 was told none available. found this companythey still have some of the parts  sales@joseph.com
Mikeys250 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeys250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 5:41pm
David
Steiner tractor has all the parts I needed.
Mikeys250 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeys250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 5:43pm
So I checked the shuttle pressure and I can only get up to 150psi at wide open throttle. I drug the bucket and loaded it up and it jumped to 175ish one time.

Looks like a am going to change fluids and filters and see what happens before I do clutches.
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 1:53pm
be sure to check the suction line after it gets hot. most likely the problem .
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 1:59pm
also, rather than dropping the belly pan , run it till it gets to slipping and check the pressure and then tighten the clamps on the return suction line. look down the left side of the convertor tube and you will see it and the clamps . should fix it .
Mikeys250 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeys250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 3:46pm
I know where the filter is but how do i get to the "screen"
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:13pm
you talking about the suction screen on the return line or what ?
Mikeys250 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeys250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 7:46pm
Yeah whatever screen there is in this system.

Update
I checked pressure, couldn’t get over 150psi and mainly hovered around 100psi. It jumped around a good bit.
I changed the fluid because it looks like it may have a little water in it. Changed the filter and tightened all the band clamps on the rubber boots. Filled it back up let it warm up and put it in gear. Now I can barely get over 50psi???
I thought it may be air in the line so I let it run for about 15 minutes then I Moved back and forth for about 15 minutes and the result didn’t change.
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 10:17pm
you could put a pipe t in the line coming out of the filter that goes to the shuttle valve. insert the pressure gauge to see if pressure is 150 or more. if not check back toward the pump which is fed from the sump line . there is supposed to be a screen in the line from the pump to the convertor tube. did you find hose that connects to the shuttle sump located at the convertor tube. there are clamps there also. sometimes the rubber hose over the metal sleeve at the sump gets rotten and allows air to suck into the system. tough location especially on the loaders.
Mikeys250 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeys250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 7:46am
I will check the line coming from the filter.

Also I tightened the clamps on the rubber boots at the pump and at the converter tube. I cleaned them up and checked them best I could without removing them and they seemed to be intact. I didn't want to remove them and break the seal if there was one.

Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 2:52pm
sounds good . were you able to get all the way down to the sump connection ? I do not believe you have a serious problem . Might take line coming from the filter to the shuttle valve loose and put it into the location where you add fluid for the torque tube. start it up on idle and see if you get any air out of the system. You may want to let it pump into 2 gal. jug or bigger. the convertor fill tube may not take it fast enough.     just a thought.
Mikeys250 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeys250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 7:14am
Yes I got all clamps from the pump to the sump on both sides. I will try to crack a line tonight and see what happens.

What is the line that runs from the pump to the sump on the left side ?
what is the line that runs from the pump under the engine and to the back of the trans on the right side?

Randal if you were a little closer I would just haul it to you and we would get it figured out quick Im sure.
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 10:12am
Yes if only we were closer we could get it fixed.   The line from pump under engine to the right side is for the hydraulics.   The line on the left side to sump is the suction line for the back end of pump that is for shuttle clutch you are checking.
Mikeys250 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeys250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 11:49am
I’m officially stumped.
I changed both rubber boots at the sump and at the pump. Checked all my fittings in the system for leaks and I’m up to 60psi. I took my gauge off the tee and let it purge out for a second and didn’t get any air. It’s got ok flow but it’s not 250pei worth. I don’t know what to check now
Mikeys250 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeys250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 1:00pm
And one more thing. I can’t find the screen anywhere in this system. Where is it?
Big Jim View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 3:51pm
You said you had the service manual, but do you have the parts manual?
they are most times together. The parts manual show a brake down of this
sys on page 178 with the screen. I thinking your trouble maybe with the
relief valve or spring in the shuttle valve on page 188. If you do not
have these send me private message with your address and I will mail you copies.
                                               Jim
Mikeys250 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeys250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 3:57pm
I have a digital copy of the parts manual. I think I should have said how to I get to the screen in the sump?
I think you may be right about something in the valve. The manual says if it’s only 50 psi is the relief valve but I’m tryong to get everything else clean before I get to it.
Big Jim View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 4:11pm
The picture shows you how to get to the screen.
Mikeys250 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeys250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:37pm
Which picture?
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 8:17pm
If you can not get pressure on the line at the filter there would be no way to get it at the shuttle valve. I still think the problem is between the pump and sump. could be a crack in the metal line from pump to sump ? is the convertor tube still full of ATF fluid ? The torque convertor holds several quarts itself. By the way how did the front filter look ? any metal or things that should not be there ?
Mikeys250 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeys250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 8:52pm
Everything looked pretty clean except some signs of water in the ATF from the old cracked cap I believe. I actually cleaned the whole metal line from sump to pump and it wasn’t wet anywhere.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic