This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best temporary storage structure?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBergie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best temporary storage structure?
    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 4:50pm
I'm being deployed out of the country soon and will be gone about a year. (Short fused notice) I have some scrub hunting land and want to park my D17 out at it, but am trying to figure out the cheapest and quickest shelter in which to store it. I thought about a canvas-covered structure, but they're not strong enough for the Midwest snows. A conex box would be great, but a little expensive to buy and have delivered. If I had more time, I would construct a simple shed/garage myself but time is what I don't have! I thought about buying pre-assembled frames for a gambrel roofed shed, but am not sure if that'd be the easiest route to go. Anyone got ideas on cheap, quick storage solutions? (Lots of critters where the land is....mice, lynx, raccoons, bear, etc.) Thanks in advance for the suggestions....
D17 Series IV
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 5:00pm
why not rent a storage unit in town?

I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 5:03pm
There are a lot of folks from Minnesota on here, and for the reason you need it, I would think one of them could step up.  I picked up a 8 x 10 portable storage unit at Menards for cheap, I think 129.00, My D14 fits in it and we get plenty of snow here in SE MI.  It's round top so the stuff slides off better than a peaked one.  If you lived near me I would let you put up one here and I would even help you!  And I would be proud to help you out! 

Thank you for your service.  Never forget!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 5:04pm
Interesting,,

Edited by DougG - 23 Sep 2019 at 4:04am
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 5:16pm

Hey JBergie,,I believe ole Lars gots a good idea on a storage unit IN TOWN where it is less likely to attract the two legged critters,,,Maybe even just a fenced-in storage IN TOWN,,,,,(Can't stress that "In Town" enough)
 I'm hopin and prayin the best for you since you are deploying out ,,,,Are you in the service,,??  If I was lots  closer I would volunteer to keep it for you till you get back.
 Maybe somebody here closer to you will come up with an offer,,,,,,,Clap,
  Stay Safe and keep us informed,,,,Clap

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 5:50pm
24' Conex containers would work, implements in one tractor another, bolt two door handle latches closed padlock the others as Time is what allows criminals access, they see locks and bolts that have to be undone and they leave. Set the conex side by side, have a welder weld a plate across connecting corners so cannot just be hauled off.

Edited by DMiller - 22 Sep 2019 at 5:50pm
JBergie View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBergie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 5:58pm
Thanks for the thoughts and offers everyone, it truly means a lot to me.
I live outside St Paul and my land is about two hours away, over in WI. (Mike M has a place right down the road from mine!) I thought about renting, but I keep looking at the math for out of pocket costs, vs having 'something' that can be kept. (For example, a storage unit would cost about $200/mo, and a conex box would cost $2,900.....so which would be better?)
D17 Series IV
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 6:24pm
Neigbhoring farm has had conx box for 20 years now never a sign of a mouse in it, has always surprised me. It was not a new one when it came. Also plenty of mice and rats around, as they have damaged tractors stored in a old wood barn next to the box.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 8:11pm
Hey John glad to hear you are still around. Thought maybe you had abandoned your place. If I had room I would welcome your tractor.  I have two of the fabric sheds as I don't have a [lace for a pole barn. The shelter logic round top will take the snow. Just make sure it is anchored down good. Not very easy to secure though. You are pretty close to the road so I would maybe look for another option. Sorry I can't be of help.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 8:22pm
Your farm neighbors, might be your best bet.  I'd look to them, ask around the local watering holes and see who seems trustworthy...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 9:08pm
A conex sounds like the most bang for the buck. More secure storage and you will have storage after you return and not be out $$$ for a rental.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
JBergie View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBergie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 9:10pm
Hadn't thought about the neighbor option, so might do that.
I thought about Quonset huts, but they seem to be harder to find than I thought.
MDM! Thanks for the offer, but with last years snows, I know you lost some storage and I don't want to add to your space needs.
D17 Series IV
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 9:37pm
There are also the shipping containers. I have 1 here that I could fit that size tractor in and I don’t have rodent trouble.
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 5:20am
My first thought would be a container. Quick cheap and more rodent proof ( both 2 and 4 legged) than anything else. I had a storage rental that would hold 2 D17s and it was $50.00 a month. Very nice place but the rodents still found a way in.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 5:37am
my vote is for the shipping container
a) on nearby farm,close to your land. safe and secure
b) in town, though you'll need to haul tractor to it.

whatever way you go, be sure to pull battery, store in basement, add extra air into tires(or block up), drain gas  add stabilizer,CHECK THE ANTIFREEZE !

I know common sense things but..... easy to overlook the last one

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 6:39am
Seeing as you're looking at a long term, I vote conex box too. That way you could weld a couple pieces of steel across the doors to keep the two legged varmints out.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 6:55am
John there is a tractor repair shop over on Cloverdale Rd. Maybe check with them. Where is your tractor now? 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Herb(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 11:18am
Surely one of your neighbors will can have some method of assisting you.  And they may be able to provide on the insurance also. Herb(GA)
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 12:32pm
hell get a shipper and load that baby up and haul it down here to my place,,,,

i would be glad to take care of your D17 while you are deployed,,,be my pleasure and honor to help you out,,,,and it will be ready for you to pick up and put to work when you return,,,put the ol gal right next to my 170,,,,in the barn 

THANK YOU for your service,,,,GOD SPEED and Be SAFE

ocharry
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 3:05pm
Yes, Thank You for your service. I would use a shipping container weather proof and thief proof.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 10:22pm
A 40 ft container and you can have a garage in one end and you could make a hunting cabin in the other end when you return. The other thing would be a semi trailer you can find them sometimes on the internet just have to dig the wheels down when you park it so you can get the tractor in. Thank you for your service.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 11:35pm
I also want to thank you for helping protect my fat a$$! and you are also welcome to store your tractor here, tho I couldn't put it inside here anywhere unless you have it in a conex box. the 20 ft'ers are about $1800 near here!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 4:04am

Hey John,,,I been kinda followin your thread and I sure hope you can get somebody here to help you out while you are deployed,,,it's the least we can do to help a person being deployed for our benefit. I am way far down south of you but you're more them welcome to bring it here for safe keeping,,,it would be my honor. ClapClap
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 7:45am
wow...help from a dessert snake charmer...that's SOLID!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 10:23am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

wow...help from a dessert snake charmer...that's SOLID!

Well,,,that right there is exactly why John's tractor would be "safe" in my back 40 ,,,I ain't tellin nobody but I gots them Rat'Lers trained as "attack dogs" er,,,,,I meant "Attack Snakes" and they is the meanest mohicans them thieves want to stay away from,,,,,,
 I gots lots of respect and admiration for all armed forces persons that have to go overseas to protect mine and your big azz's and,,,,and,,,If I could help ole John,,why of coarse I would,,,,LOLLOL
 I can remember how we worried day and night for 54 weeks straight,, when our #2 Son was in Korea for one long year TWICE and one of those deployments was when thet little squenchie faced butter ball AH was shooting them rockets all over the place,,,!!! We just knew there was gonna be a war over there that time,,,,,

Edited by desertjoe - 27 Sep 2019 at 10:25am
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 11:54am
Wow Desert Snake Charmer, Attack Rat'Lers. Do you have a Magical Flute? Next you'll be tellin us about your Heat Seeking Flyin GoatHeads that attack on command. Well of course, your between Loco Hills and Roswell. I'm stay far away from your neck of the Desert. Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 12:26pm
John I was just up there. Here is the phone number for Cloverdale Repair 715-669-5796 They look like a pretty nice place. Give them a call and see if they can help out. Good luck. Sorry I can't help with the storage. Mike
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2019 at 10:54am
hey John did ya find a place to store your tractor???

just curious,,,

my offer still stands,,,,load her up and i will put her in the barn for ya,,,you will not have to worry about it,,,,it will be safe and taken care of until you return to country ,,,,thats free of charge,,,,+shipping,,,,lol

be safe,,,hope you get this taken care of and can find a place inside for your tractor,,,,

i hate leaving my stuff sit out,,,my grand dad taught me that,,,i member when i was a young feller,,,,my grand dad told me "if you got equipment it needs to have a roof over it",,,,i have always remembered that and i always do,,,,it does make a difference

ocharry
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 9:14pm

I just seen this post, have you found a place I'm about 130 miles away you can bring it down and put it in my shed at no charge or maybe Ted J could help you out. Kenny L.

I just saw your post in the farm equipment you stated it's close to St. Paul that would be around 215 miles from me but the offer still stand. Kenny L.

Edited by Kenny L. - 02 Oct 2019 at 1:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic