This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

f150 hauling cap.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: f150 hauling cap.
    Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:08pm
I have a '97 f150 and a friend asked if I could haul a ton of blacktop.  By the tag that would be about 900 lbs over weight.  I have hauled stuff that really made it squat, but have no idea what it weighed.  I haul my garbage to the dump, so I know the weight of the truck when empty.  Also this would be less that 10 miles.  Thanks for your input.
Dennis
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:34pm
TWO trips !!! or use a trailer...a small tandem dump would be ideal( like HOW ya goin get that stuff OUT of the bed ?? ) Your truck, like mine is a 1/2ton pickup... 1,000# max( which includes gas and driver and whatever else is onboard...so maybe 700# payload..
Your springs like mine are 20+ years old, you need to treat them nice !! I have a spare set 'somewhere' in the shop...
hmm maybe 3 trips...would be better !
I always take my trailer when a 'friend' asks...cheaper/easier to fix it than my '97 F150 !  Trailer is good for 4200# and I've hauled 4500# ONCE...stopping was fun..but slow and steady got me there.
Beside I can leave it,full,  and go home if I want to..HE can unload

Jay

Edited by jaybmiller - 10 Sep 2019 at 5:43pm
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:45pm
Last time I needed to know back when I had an F150 (I have a 350 dually now), I just called the local dealer and the service guy looked it up. Worth the trouble, to avoid trouble. And 10 miles doesn't mean much - hills? Rough road? Makes a difference especially when they're that old. Actually with the way they use salt around here for all 9 months of winter each year, that wouldn't be "old," that'd be, "scrapped it 5 years ago. right after the frame broke in 2."
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 6:00pm
X2 on the trailer. That way you won't have your truck committed and can go do something else while your friend unloads the trailer. I have been guilty of hauling way too much on my older F150's and gotten away with it but that was when I was young and foolish. Now that I am old and stupid at least I know better. LOL
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 6:10pm
Gonna be a bitch jacking it up to change a tire!Big smile  Wouldn't do it with my truck and mine is a Toyota Tundra.  Just put it on a trailer, and save your truck.

Of course if you are looking for a good excuse to get a new truck  .   .  .  have at it!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Dennis(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 6:38pm
Thanks, your input confirmed my answer, I already told him no, but I would check it out. 
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 7:35pm
a half ton truck normally holds more than 1000 pounds... Most are in the 1500 pound range.... 2000 pounds on a 20 year old truck would be pushing it.  I haul 12-1500 in a 2013 quite often.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 8:08pm
I think of it a bit differently......what do you say to the family you crash into when your brakes fail, a tire bursts or axle breaks and the load goes everywhere.
I always plan conservatively be it my truck, trailer or combination of the two.
Too many people say “ it’s just an old truck. Load it up”
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 8:27pm
load it on a Chevy 1/2 ton and go! not even gonna tell you how much I put on an S-10
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 2:03am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

load it on a Chevy 1/2 ton and go! not even gonna tell you how much I put on an S-10

Wink,,,you must have lots of backroads,,,right,,,??
 Say,,,,that right there reminds me of a story YOU told on here a long time ago,, bout you buyin a combine or some such farm equipment from a fellar way down south of you and,,,,and,,,roadin (hidin is better word) that combine over all the back roads, alleys and  deserted farm fields to finally get it home,,,,,you remember that,,,????LOLLOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 3:04am
the last combine I bought, I took it right thru the middle of Omaha...and it really torqued off a lot of city bots! did I care? NOOOOOOOOO! I've taken lots of equipment thru lots of places...sometimes it being the fastest route and sometimes I didn't wanna gits caught!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 4:18am
Originally posted by Dennis(IA) Dennis(IA) wrote:

I have a '97 f150 and a friend asked if I could haul a ton of blacktop.  By the tag that would be about 900 lbs over weight.  I have hauled stuff that really made it squat, but have no idea what it weighed.  I haul my garbage to the dump, so I know the weight of the truck when empty.  Also this would be less that 10 miles.  Thanks for your input.
Dennis

Hauling a ton on a 1/2 ton truck is an accident and lawsuit waiting to happen. The “Oh it’s just around the corner” doesn’t cut it anymore. There are more TV ads for ambulance chasing lawyers on our local channels than anything else. Truckers need the rates they charge because of this. Are you willing to give everything you own to a blood sucking leech?
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:15am

Well,,,,"I Remember The Story",,,,cause I laughed and laughed at the thought of this farmer drivin up and down all them farm and market roads and alleys with thet silly Dennis The Menace grin on his face snickerin all the way,,,,,,Clap
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:20am
I think that was a side delivery rake.  You don't realize how wide some machines are until you have to haul one on the road, through town.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:23am
I told the guy I could haul a ton on my tilt bed trailer, no problem.  My wife said what the  h*##@@ you getting yourself into now!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:34am
Years ago, I hauled 1500 pounds of stones in a 6 year old 1/2 ton. Only a few miles, but that was DUMB. Too much, probably by 300. Not all 1/2 tons are the same capacity, but none haul that much. Don’t do it.
Or, just make a joke out of it and pray you don’t actually hurt someone and that your luck and charm will carry you through.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:49am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Well,,,,"I Remember The Story",,,,cause I laughed and laughed at the thought of this farmer drivin up and down all them farm and market roads and alleys with thet silly Dennis The Menace grin on his face snickerin all the way,,,,,,Clap

Wink Please for give me for derailing. LOL Joe there is a song about O'l ShamersConfused but cannot remember the  name. Something about driving my International Harvester combine down the highway.LOLLOLLOL 

Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:58pm
I owned a few F150's, last real one was a 1994, single cab with a GVW of 6,600 lbs, it would handle a ton easily, I hauled with it a lot, kept it for nine years and 150,000 miles, replaced the rear springs at 100,000, which is about normal life for the springs of a working pickup. The last actual F150 I owned was a 2014 crewcab, that was only good for hauling potato chips or ping pong balls. I put a 800 LB. welder in the back of it once and it drove like a boat. I kept that one three years and traded it for a Ram 2500. Pretty sure I'm done with half tons for as long as I want to actually use a truck for more than a grocery getter. I agree with the above, considering the age of your truck, I would decline to help.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 2:03pm
Three issues with later model Half Tons, suspension less than the old Station Wagons, frames are tin foil and twist/roll like softened spaghetti, axles in back with ring and pinion as well ball joints/control arms up front designed for Ride not carry. Engines and transmissions can do the work just the remaining truck is not much truck.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 5:05pm
I had one of them F150 PU once with a cap on the back.  I went and picked up a 500 pound load of parrots one time.  I had to have my buddy run along side with a baseball bat whacking the truck to keep them flying!LOL
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:17pm
All depends on how the truck is equipped and geared.  Like Ken said, some at the TOP end have a load capacity of 2000 or 2100 pounds... The "normal" F150 will have a rating of 1500- 1600 pounds capacity... If you get the lightest duty with the high gear ratios to get the highest milage, they  are the 1000 pound capacity units. .... A standard cab with the 8 ft bed and HEAVY shocks / tires / etc can be had for 2000 pound capacity....... You get a CREW or 4 x 4, or short bed and the numbers drop into the 15-1600 range.

I have a 2013 CREW with short bed and 4 x 4 and it is rated just over 1500 pounds... I do that all day long.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:23pm
and years ago I had a 3/4 ton that had a bed capacity of 3800#  ( almost 2 tons ).  all depends on how it is equipped.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 10:13pm
my old motto was: if it fits, it hauls! can't do that with most of the new ones nowadays. even tho I still do try it.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 2:51pm
Do yourself a big favor. Rent a trailer. While working at the car dealership, I've seen too many fords around that year with the rear spring mounts broken off at the frame. Load on trailer pretty much over the trailer axles.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 4:18pm
Done a lot of serious vehicle overloading over the years and got away with it, but that run came to an end when I tried to haul home a tractor on a hired flat bed trailer behind a Chevy diesel 1500. The 4L80E's torque converter transfered that much extra heat to the engine, when head gasket blew, pressure through cooling system blew a fist size hole outa the plastic radiator end tank. (this one's not to wind Shameless up about Chevy's) Got a medium duty truck now.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 5:59pm
Yes Tom you are correct, I will use my 20' flat bed trailer.  Not as handy backing into his driveway, but it will hold 1 ton no problem.  He said that he has a BIG tarp and we will lay that down first then fold it over the hot asphalt.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 6:48pm
Already decided and have noted on here should I replace my '99 F250 SD it will be with a class 6 or 7 actual truck. Tired of repairing as things disintegrate on the too light for what I am doing to it trucks.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 8:42pm
I'm hearin ya there Dave. I shoulda done it a long time back
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 12:12am
Dennis...less than 10 miles? make 2 trips if'n yer scared!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 12:13am
(poke,poke)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic