This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New wd45

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 9:08pm
Check the measurement from piston top to center of wrist pin and compare to stock pistons. Someone should have dimension of stock pistons. Could be higher compression than original and still stock bore..... though I've never seen that type of kit myself.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Sponsored Links

ryanschott View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 3:32am
Cleaned up a bunch of parts like the oil pan and rods and a few other parts on the motor. Been working a lot of overtime so hopefully in next couple weeks I’ll be getting the pistons and sleeves. The $250 set on amazon is now $450so have been looking at a couple other piston sets. When I do get this back together is there a way to prime the oil system. Getting kind of excited to hear this tractor run. Took out the cloride out the tire since was leaking all over my barn and put in a new valve stem. But will need a new rim when I restore it cause the one is beyond the point of saving. Other rim is loaded and is spotless rust free. That too will get emptied.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 3:40am
Also going to send head out to get cleaned. Looks like some one has been here before and put new seats in a few places I too will need some new seats on a couple. Also going to have him deck head just a little to clean up and make sure it’s straight. Valves don’t look too bad so going to let them ride. Don’t know if I said earlier but was told that it was rebuilt in the 70s and the bearings have 7 76 stamped in them.

Edited by ryanschott - 27 Sep 2019 at 3:42am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 3:45am
In first pic the exhaust valve looks sunken are they all like that or has it been replaced. Has anybody ever port and polished heads before or is it so slow reving that won’t make difference

Edited by ryanschott - 27 Sep 2019 at 3:48am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 6:37am
Not worth the time and effort. Your mind will be convinced it runs "better", but only a dyno test before and after the porting and polishing would tell you for sure.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 10:13am
I was thinking the seats were a bit short like show and staked around OD to hold them in place.....not certain but know they need staked.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 6:56pm
Just got head back from machine shop. Checked out good and he shot peened it and cleaned up good with some new seats and grounds the rest. Now have to seat the valves and put back together. Is very nice almost like new was lots of rust and crap. Now just need to find some money for the pistons and sleeves.

Edited by ryanschott - 15 Oct 2019 at 6:56pm
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 7:12pm
ryan,
Looks good! Your on your way. Looking foward to your updates on the 45.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 12:04pm
Just order the piston sleeves and ring kit so should have some more work getting done on this. Kind of sucks cause it’s getting cold out so have to fill up the heater. Also does anyone have two nice used exhaust valves they wouldn’t mind parting with. Just need those and head will be back together. Maybe will have running this year.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 5:40pm
Ryanscott,
 Good progress! You will be happy with the rebuilt engine!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
savedallis1953 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savedallis1953 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:04pm
About 18 years ago I acquired a 1938 unstyled WC with a 6' side mount sickle mower. From the state of Delaware. Did a "field rebuild" i.e. lapped the valves and honed the cylinders w pistons in place. No spark from the mag so put a battery n points ign. in her. Ran great. My 28 year old friend has it now and still running, he's hooked.
1953 WD, 1953 WD, WD engine with WD-45 crankshaft.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 7:43pm

Ok progress is coming now got the sleeves and pistons in and hopefully tomorrow will have the pan on might be next week but should be done with the head and put that on. A little setback is the gas tank had some rust in it so took of to dip and clean and when I first looked in it now out in light there lots of vent holes on the bottom so not sure if I’ll will put patch on the bottom and line or buy another tank. Still also on the fence is 6v or 12 v the generator looks nice but all the wireing is junk and coil looks bad too so am leaning towards 12v. Also other motors I have done in the past the pistons seem to come almost flush with the top but these are as high as they go in the pics. All in all it went together very good and feels good. Used assembly lube on this motor i like it better then just oil. Am very pleased with the progress so far
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 9:50pm
Don't have much experience with these engines so I can't say if piston height is weird or not. Does seem a little low. Where'd they come from and whats' advertised C/R? Overbore or STD?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 2:27pm
4 1/8 bore not sure on ratio. Can’t wait to hear it run
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 2:47pm
Were the other engines with chambers in the head or were they flat like this engines head is...?
 Looks about right for piston height, but, if you put WD pistons in that WD45 crank... you will be high compressioned.  Shocked  Pullin tractor timeLOL
 and just buy 4 new exhaust valves and put in.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 3:03pm
Just a lot off b or c motors seems like those pistons come right to the very top. Haven’t done a 226 motor in awhile and can’t remember must be getting old.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 6:20pm
Well ordered a 12v coil so I guess it’s going that way. What is easiest and cheapest to use for a alternator there used to be a small parts store that closed up near me I would get alternators for $35. But that was 10 years ago
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 7:23pm
Ryan,
I dont think you will regret going to 12 volt system. I like the way they start.
On the piston dimension below the deck IIRC that 1/2 inch sounds about right.
Here is a example of a WD45 I did last spring.

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 3:13pm

Got time to work on it today I now have an oil pan on it now. Looks like it went on good thanks to using those clips. I had never seen those before worked awesome. Also no swearing so must have been good. Also put all new guts in the distributor so that’s ready. I do need new plug wires cause they look kind of crappy. Have two more valves to do and I can put the head on. Got a bunch of odds and ends like fittings for oil line was bad and one got smashed. Want to also paint the head and valve cover. This week when I get paid I found a nice gas tank on eBay I like so just going to do that instead of messing with the rusty tank. Still a lot before it can run and use it. I need to completely rewrite it. Need a alternator and I’m sure a few other things. The pivot on the hand clutch is so rusty it barely moves so that needs attention also. But getting there. maybe this month I’ll rig up at battery and get it to just run.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 3:06pm
Any way to prime oil system so it’s pumping the second it starts or does it usually prime pretty quick
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 3:55pm
Leave the spark plugs out and crank it with the starter and a battery charger. don't overheat the starter.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 11:32am
Got the head on and rocker arms bolted down. Now need to set the rocker clearance and can finish up the motor. Found out the gas line is plugged solid with who knows what. Air wouldn’t blow threw it then have to work on manifold, wiring, and fuel system. Going to order a one wire alternator and brillman’s has a nice wd45 wire harness made for one wire alternator. Just need to save up a little money. Got new gas tank on there looks very clean inside but doesn’t have the numerous vent holes on the bottom side. Anything else you guys can think of I need to check I may have forgotten. Oh the air filter was filled with tons of crap what a mess. Might have original tar oil in it.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2019 at 5:00pm
Looking good, Ryan. I'm enjoying your thread. Looking forward to a video of that engine running! LOL
WC, CA, D14, WD45
David (in Mi.) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David (in Mi.) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 9:18pm
Enjoying your thread Ryan. Where are you located?? I live just north and east of Peck. Know all the people you where talking about in area. My 45 Diesel I have restored came from Kerrigens Impl. in Croswell in 1955. My dad bought it brand new with a 12' transport disc. I remember the day, I was 6 yrs. old. Keep up the good work.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 6:09am
In Goodells. Where about was Kerrigens I’m a little familiar with croswell.   That’s awesome to know the past and And dealer it came from and twice as awesome when it’s family and you where there. Do you know the name of the allis dealership in Sandusky. Just finishing up the head and working on fuel system just got new fuel line and nos sediment bowl assembly. It’s getting close to being able to run. Going to be putting in new manifold studs and manifold then should be ready to rip and roar.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 7:20am
Ryan,
Your coming right along on the 45! Thanks for the updates. It will be ready to do some work this spring!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 10:34am
Experience is a great teacher. You should have had the manifold side milled while it was off.
David (in Mi.) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David (in Mi.) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 9:51pm
The Kerrigan dealer in Croswell was one half mile west of town, on the south side of the road. The building is still there, someone is selling lawn mowers and some farm supplies there now.   The dealership In Sandusky has a lot of history. I know the owners personally, it was called Cork Impl. for many a years. The owner was Bob Cork which I have known forever. He has died, I still talk to his son in Arizona. After he sold out (about the time Allis sold) the new dealer was Meull Impl. until if finally when broke and no more Allis That dealership was straight across the road from Sandusky Middle school on M 19.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 9:56pm
My son put Ford 302 exhaust and Chevy 350 intakes in my 45. Some he had saved back. (used) I couldn't believe how much better it started and ran.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 10:19am
Have the fuel delivery system all together. Just need a muffler, plug wires, a hotwire, and need to seal hand clutch cover and it should run. But all those things on Xmas list so might have to wait till then
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic