This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New wd45

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New wd45
    Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:23pm
Got my wd45 I lost at the auction back in November the man who out bid me and lost interest put it on the trailer and sat there until now. Took off and sold loader and the other bad thing was told that the trans and rear end where seized up but it was both brakes froze up the trains and rear are of the cleanest I’ve ever seen. Motor on the other hand is wow bad so as soon as a get a couple extra bucks I’ll get new sleeves and pistons. Reason I wanted this tractor so bad is the backstory. The coolest thing that not many tractors have is the complete history from new. This 1954 wd45 was bought new late summer of 1954 in Yale Michigan at tenniswood equipment. The original owner had a chopper that him and a neighbor bought and his John Deere b and the neighbors framall h couldn’t run it good enough. So the owner to a trip to Yale and they had this in the showroom and he told them to bring it out and if it would run the chopper he’d take it. His son said it came about dinner time and the salesman told him to eat dinner he would hook it up and adjust everything and have it ready when he was done. It was awesome and it stayed on the same farm in avoca mi until now. It was rebuilt in the 1970s and was given d17 engine upgrade then I was told. But not used to much after that. It had sat in the bushes completely covered from the late 90s till now. I’m going to stop and visit next week and see if I can find out any more info on the tractor from it’s work days. But I do know it will be getting a new rebuild and will run for the first time in 20 years. And next year will get some nice new paint.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:39pm
Given a "D-17 engine upgrade" is interesting. Those look like WD-45 pistons to me unless they are 4 1/8" bore. A D-17 gas engine as-is will not fit in a WD-45. The water pump and crankshaft pulley have to be changed, along with the flywheel and clutch assembly.
ryanschott View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:45pm
The pistons have a smooth easy bowl not like the wd45 where there is a large around outside of piston then drops off deep fast. These drop of right away but are gradual like lenses for glasses
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:46pm
Not deep either so I assume that would raise compression and give you more hp
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 6:55pm
WD-45's are a smooth "cereal bowl" design. The D-17's were a flat bottom with a thick ring around the outside. Are they 4 inch ?? or 4 1/8" ?

Edited by DrAllis - 19 Jul 2019 at 6:56pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:03pm
I will have to measure at work right now but ya I would say cereal bowl.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:56pm
ryanscott,
Congratulations on the 45. I am haveing fun with mine and glad I went through the tractor. I will be watching! Thanks for the pictures too. Give us a good idea what our starting with.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 8:55pm
Oh boy - another 38 page thread???!!? Go for it, ryanschott. LOL
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 10:46pm
Maybe a case of not remembering or someone got ripped off but as drallis says it looks to be regular wd45 motor stuff and it is a 4 inch bore

Edited by ryanschott - 19 Jul 2019 at 10:46pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 10:49pm
But I learned some stuff today I once had a wd45 that had the deep bowl pistons and I thought that was what a wd45 was supposed to have but I see now that the 45 has the easy slope pistons
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 10:59pm
The original design of the famous "Power Crater" bowls in the WD-45 were the smooth cereal bowl dish design. When the D-17 came along they redesigned the bowl to be flat on the bottom and the ring design on top.  There have been after-market pistons made with the smooth cereal bowl design, but they are usually 4 1/8" bore.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 12:02am
Could they have changed the Governor some with springs to rev higher and give it d17 power
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 12:04am
This might become a big thread sugarmaker cause I do want to do a complete resto on this tractor. I usually like the old patina but this would look better all new. Nice thing the sheet metal is real good.
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 2:05am
That's a great history, Ryan. I wish those things could be passed with on with tractors. At least the farms and years they were in service, at the locations.

My grandfather had to give up his 80 ac farm, in 1959, because of a energy and I'd love to find his tractor.

I think the history of tractors is very interesting.

I'll look forward to seeing your progress.

Edited by frnkeore - 20 Jul 2019 at 2:07am
Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 8:06am
Ryan,
This would be a great project tractor. I was happy to be able to find the parts I needed to get mine back together. A comment which seems trivial is to mark. tag/ bag/ all the hardware as removed. Even better is to take the extra time to actually clean the hardware and prep for paint. It will pay big dividends when final assembly comes along. 

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 8:45am
Your piston top looks exactly like the ones in one of my stuck 45's.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 6:05pm
Mines not stuck anymore knocked out sleeves and pistons today no cracks between the cylinders

Edited by ryanschott - 20 Jul 2019 at 6:13pm
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 9:00pm
Progress already!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 9:43pm
Ryan,
Good job getting the pistons and sleeves out!
Regards,
 Chris                                                                                                                                                                         
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 11:37pm
Just need to save up some money now. On amazon there is a piston and sleeve kit for $250 from reliable aftermarket parts. I have bought stuff from them in the past. Just need to find some nice but cheap rings.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 1:06am
Looks good!  To bad you had to take away the storage for the acorns of some critter.Smile
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 7:36am
Are you sure the piston and sleeve kit comes without rings? That seems real odd to me that a kit like that would only have 2 of the 3 things needed. I'd check that kit again a little closer as you wouldn't need 2 sets of rings.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 7:36am
Originally posted by ryanschott ryanschott wrote:

Just need to save up some money now. On amazon there is a piston and sleeve kit for $250 from reliable aftermarket parts. I have bought stuff from them in the past. Just need to find some nice but cheap rings.
https://www.ebay.com/usr/dandrikop?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Might try this guy for rings. All quality parts. Excellent service. And yep he's in Greece. You may have to search by actual ring dimensions instead of application.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 8:17am
Have bought a few kits and no rings but there is some that have everything also

Edited by ryanschott - 21 Jul 2019 at 8:19am
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 8:26am
All rings are not the same. You can take a cheaper kit and clean off the flash and balence out the piston weights. But cheap rings will still do you in.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 9:28am
Have to go talk to my local machine shop have got rings there in the past that are name brand and a little cheaper then on amazon. Maybe even get everything else there to. Felpro head gasket too.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 9:35am
Plus support local business doesn’t hurt either
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 8:42am
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 11:21am
Talked to the original owners son last night he said that his dad had seen the tractor earlier in the month and talked to the dealer and dealer wanted him to test it out but he didn’t need a new one. But when the John Deere b quit and had no choice his dad called the dealer up and told him to bring one out. Dealer said that he had one that he had been demonstrating with and the new one in the showroom. The dad said to bring the showroom one cause if it would run the chopper it would not be going back. And stayed ever since. He did again say that it was in the 70s sent to the dealer in Sandusky to be rebuilt and he said it was given a d17 kit when rebuilt. But as I’ve been shown it looks like normal wd45 motor parts. Unless governor maybe messed with to run faster maybe? Will have to check more on that. Shortly after that it got its loader a plow and a blade bought for it. The chopper was never used after that year and sold which was the reason for the purchase of the tractor in the first place.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 6:32pm
Huh, and I always thought it was only doctors and septic tank installers that got to bury their mistakes... I guess they could've told him anything, knowing that it'd be a long time before anyone tore into the engine again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic