This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canvas truck top

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canvas truck top
    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 6:34pm
anybody know who makes canvas P/U truck bed caps? I'm looking for something collapsible, easily installed and removed. May have to make my own using electrical conduit and canvas. Wife says I can get canvas at fabric store and her machine will sew it. So, if I must, I'll go that route

not just a flat cover, I'm talking something like the old military WWII vintage 6x6's used, like a Conestoga wagon

Edited by LouSWPA - 17 Jul 2019 at 6:37pm
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 6:39pm
looks like I'm making my own. cant afford what I am seeing!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 7:21pm
Best top but there very expensive
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 7:42pm
Find someone close to you that does professional sewing. My wife worked for Winnabago, in their sewing factory. They made things like this every now and then. They closed the local factory down and moved it to Forest City Iowa. So no help from here.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 8:40pm
Had a local shop that made some hose bed covers for our fire trucks. When we parked down wind from a fire they would patch them for us also. Check with your local fire department and see if they know of anyone in your area.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 9:09pm
Google "Jeep Parts" They still make the convertable tops for Willys so someone probably knows a source for what you are looking for.

If you want collapsible and you decide to make your own, I'm thinking square tube that will fit in the pockets on the bed, and put hinges where the top pieces meet the uprights.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 9:45pm
Couple local places here build TENTS to your size........ check with them for manufacturing

another place builds COVERS for semi trailers... In Ill you are suppose to have trucks COVERED if your hauling certain items..

Edited by steve(ill) - 17 Jul 2019 at 9:46pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 8:16am
Have you got a "Tent and Awning" company nearby?  They made one for me a long time ago.  Went into the stake holes in the box and clamped down to hold it in place.  Took em 2 days to make it.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 8:32am
think 'boat covers and tops'..... another avenue to seek out..
I remember pop sewing roof and cover for the 14' runabout on my granmother's 1923 Singer sewing machine. THAT I still have, and it still works.......

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 3:26pm
Best top I ever had was the tri-fold. Not water proof and sits even with the bed sides which may not be good for you but surprised at how well the hinges held up.
Folded it forward for open bed use including gooseneck, moved from 06 Dodge diesel after 3 years and was on the 2010 when turned in 3 years later.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 4:59pm
I had a local upholstery shop make me a boat top. I already had the top frame but the mice chewed the canvas bad. she made a Sunbrella replacement top for a 100  bucks
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 5:13pm
Some Amish make tarps etc. Maybe check with them if they are close.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 11:12pm
Besttop was owned by my late father in law, Jim Stengel.  Didn't really want to sell the company but they kept offering more money and his son, my classmate, was trying to run the company into the ground.  His daughters weren't interested after spending years sowing tops and stuff. They had a lot of interesting vehicles sitting around that were used for patterns.  He also collected tractors, mostly Gibsons, I have one I sold him and got back after he passed.

Edited by JohnCO - 18 Jul 2019 at 11:13pm
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 1:50pm
them awning commercials on TV...buy one of them, they's cheap and workable. or go buy a used awning off a camper.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic