This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fixing up the 416H

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixing up the 416H
    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 6:28pm

I've had a 416H for about 10 years now. It was a non running barn find, but fresh gas and a new battery was all it took to get it going. I was on the lookout for attachments, but they are rather hard to find, being specific to the 3/400 series. I put a spring trip blade on the front and was using it that first winter, when the electric clutch out front grenaded all over the driveway and the lawn.

I looked for a replacement clutch for awhile, but couldn't seem to find one. I gave up on it, and just used it for pull type implements.

Well, the other day, I came across another 416H for sale with attachments, but no motor. Apparently the Kohler K341 is a pretty popular engine for pullers. He bought it at an auction, removed the engine, and didn't really want the rest.   So, I picked up a spare chassis, mower deck, tiller, front blade, snowblower, and tire chains. The blade was homemade, but everything else looks to be original.

Unfortunately, the mower deck shell is rotten, but I can save all the other parts!

On mine, the pintle shaft is leaking pretty bad, and reverse doesn't work sometimes. Previous owner said the hydro works good and I don't see much by the pintle shaft, so I may just swap rear ends.

And, it even has the tool tray under the seat, I guess those are usually gone...

Most importantly, he gave me the electric clutch off the engine!

This opens up a few new possibilities, now we can use it for mowing and blowing!  I got the snowthrower with it, and a couple years ago, I picked up a nice 48" deck and a spring trip blade for the 3/400 series off of Craigslist! They have been stashed up at my dads, I dug them out and brought them home as well.

I plan on going through the attachments one at a time, as time allows. They are small enough they can go in the basement over the winter if needed.

Thought I'd start out with the mower deck. That means I need the clutch first. Picked it up and gave the pulley a twirl, and of course the first thing I heard was 30 year old dry bearing noises. Well, I'm not going to have another one fly apart, may as well change the bearing...

Pried the snap ring out, had to study it awhile to see how it comes apart without wrecking anything.

You can see three different surfaces down in there, not sure how it comes apart?

Luckily, when the old one let go, I put a hose clamp on the crank to keep any more pieces from coming off. Took the parts off and compared them side by side.

They look alike, so the bearing must slide onto a very thin sleeve?

Took a hammer and gently tapped on the pulley part, and sure enough, it slid right off.

Used a couple of sockets to drive the bearing out.

Hopefully I can pick one up locally, and we should be in business! I checked the PTO switch in the dash, even the indicator light works.

Thanks for looking.

The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Sponsored Links

littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 7:03pm

littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 9:49am
Put the new bearing in the freezer for a few hours, slid right home.

I have two mule drives now. They each have a bad pulley, so I swapped them around to make one "less noisy" mule drive for now.

This one must have been run with way too short of a belt or something. Yikes.

Something to fix up over the winter. I will probably put new pulleys on all the way around.

So, got the deck slid under, the clutch installed, the mule drive on, even had the right belt. Looking good so far, too late last night for a test run.

Also put a universal seat on it, been riding around on that bare seat pan for too long.

Thanks for looking.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 8:35pm
Ryan,
 Looks good with the Ag's all around too!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic