This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

616 Solenoid?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 616 Solenoid?
    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 9:35pm
Friends of mine have an Allis 616, stopped running and won't turn over. He jumped at starter and turned over. I suspect the switch, but solenoid may be the problem. Main thing is sourcing parts. I have a WD45 and a 6140, don't know a lot about the garden tractors though. Any help would be appreciated.
I've looked at some pics of the solenoids online but they don't match what he's got.
Thanks,
- Tim
Sponsored Links

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 8:24pm
Do you mean the starter wont engage and spin the engine? Is the engine free? I had a starter that was acting up and would not always spin the engine. Several cycles of the key and it would finally work. Since I was restoring the 720 I decided to replace the whole starter since it requires pulling the engine which is not a pleasant experience. For $82 i got a brand new starter and solenoid. Not worth the aggravation of pulling it twice. I had already replaced the switch due to a previous issue. These starters are used on multiple machines including JD skid loaders so they are readily available.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 8:27pm
Brenda at Sandy Lake IMP in Pa can help you.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 8:09am
OK, as the late great Paul Harvey would say: And now, the rest of the story...
They're Belarussian, slight communication challenges lol. He is certain it's the solenoid. He can jump with positive to starter and negative to frame, it turns over perfectly fine but won't start. So, while I've read (and agree) the ignition switch or a host of other things may be wrong, it's his machine so I'm helping out. IF the solenoid fixes the problem, terrific. If not, well: "NEXT!!!"
I think they may have found a local source, but I'll try vendors on here. I just figured ask you guys first for a recommendation.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 8:41am
Solonoid is easy fix - a automotive aftermarket unit sells for about $15 . Looks different but it works - I would say check all the safety switches first , either elimanate them by jumper wires or , 
 MasterPro Ignition 4 Terminal Starter Solenoid
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 12:39pm
I would check to see if power is going to from switch to small terminal on solenoid   terminal, if not it's most likely the switch. 
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic