This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need air con help on truck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need air con help on truck
    Posted: 26 May 2019 at 9:05pm
Just replaced the air compressor dryer and orifice tube on 99 GMC pickup. Pulled vacuum and charged system. Low side running about 50 high side running about 210.  clutch is make funny noise engaging and disengaging chatter of some sort. While charging it almost sounded like compressor would let off air pressure. I know the clutch will self destruct the way it is acting. Please help me fix it, I am at wits end. Thanks Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 11:31pm
   Quick Tracy,,,,bleed off some of that excess pressure on the system,,,,!! The pressure on your system is way too high and gonna hurt something before too long. The hi-lo pressure switch on the dryer cycles between bout 25# and 110# when system has the correct amount of freon. THose high pressures like you got may cause your system to develop leaks from overpressure,,,Be Careful,,,,,,
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 11:48pm
X2
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 12:01am
I'd be looking for more like 30-40 on low side.Lower is better. Rule of thumb is high side 100# more than ambient. Sounds like too much in there to me. I am NOT a real AC guy but fiddle with my own....
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 12:09am
We didn't put as much as was recommended, stop short of that. Can't figure why low side is that high. I wondered if there could be a restriction somewhere. Still don't know why new compressor has a clutch that is not working right. Maybe a seasoned mechanic will chime in, and tell me what to look for. Thanks Tracy
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 12:18am
 Hey Tracy,,,,,WE IS "seasoned" mechanics,,,,,,,Wink and we is tryin to help you,,,,,,Wink
  The charge rate for most vehicles is by actual weight of the freon,,not by number of cans used. ALTHO,,,,,,,the best rule of thumb is the actual pressure readings from a good set of gauges. If you keep the valves open and shut the trk down,,you will see the pressure go UP to it's highest "actual" pressure,,and if standing close to the dryer,,you can hear the pressures equalizing from the lo side to the hi side thru the orifice tube.
 You gots tooooo much freon in the system.
 UMmmm,,,that will be $63.54 please,,,,,,LOL
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 12:36am
As Joe says,both numbers are too high which means there is too much in there. I don't know what book calls for (lbs of refridgerant) but if you have the big bottle,you can use a bathroom scale to weigh it in and get real close after vacuumed out. Otherwise do the math on the cans...
Just slowly bleed some off the low side(through the gage and out the charge hose) while running to get down to at least 40#. May have to close valve a few time to get correct reading. That should lower both readings and improve cooling. I'd go to 30 and see how it behaves. Your fan should be pulling air and auxillary? should be on too.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 27 May 2019 at 12:47am
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:54am
 Hey Tracy,,,one "trick" I always use is to connect the hose from the high side of your valving  manifold to the high side line port.  Then,, disconnect the electrical connector at the dryer (two wires) and make you a "jumper from bout 14 Ga wire or even a piece of baling wire will work and jump BOTH wires together on the connector,,,,that engages the clutch on compressor and you ain't bothered by the constant cycling of the clutch and the system will pull the freon out of the cans faster as the compressor is "sucking" all the time. Then connect the high side hose at your valve manifold to the high side port. THEN open passenger side window, start engine and set A/C at highest fan setting and coldest settin on A/C. You HAVE to watch the hi side gauge and only add freon til the hi side pressure gauge reads 100#. CLOSE valve on freon can and let it run for a couple of minutes, watching the hi side gauge. Check your A/C temp at open window and should be cold. If hi side pressure stays clost to 100#, ,pull the jumper and connect plug to the dryer. Clutch should start to cycle and you can monitor the LOW side gauge for the cycle pattern. LOW side pressure can be from 25# to 30# and hi side should cycle close to 100# but will be ok at 110#
 IF your hi side pressure is over 120#,,,you got TOO much freon in system and will not cool as efficiently,,AND will prolly do harm to thet new  compressor.
 Say,,,you DID add some compressor oil to the new compressor,,did you,,,,Wink
 Good Luck,,,!!!Clap
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 6:07am
First question, when charging did you put it in as a liquid and on the high or low side? Dumping liquid in the low side will damage the valves. You said you vacuumed it but air in the system will act as you described. I like to pressurize the system to 115 to 119psi of nitrogen for 30 minutes first. That lets you check for leaks and pick up any moisture in the system before you evacuate.
At 210, your clutch should not be cycling on high pressure.
Maximum use of available resources!
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 6:20am
The compressor shouldn't be cycling at 50# on the low side. What happened to the old compressor? If it internally shelled out the condenser may be full of chit. What did the orfice tube look like? Full of metal? Fan clutch pulling strong? How much oil did you put in the compressor?

Lots of questions.
mhankins View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhankins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 8:32am
Try taking a water hose and running some water over the condenser.
 A lot of times especially on trucks that are used in the field with high grass,stuff will get packed in between the condenser and radiator.I the water over the condenser brings the pressure down,you may not be getting enough air flow.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:11am
I know you guys are seasoned mechanics. I have never seen this happen on a system before.System called for 28.8 ounces of refridgerant . We put in maybe 24 ounces. I did add correct amount of oil.Yes, we used gas in low side not liquid. Can't figure out pressure variables like it has. Any help always appreciated. Thanks Tracy
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:13am
lot of good info here and some not so good info. the system should be flushed any time it is opened up. and the filter/dryer replaced. In addition, if the system is being worked on because of replacing a burned out compressor, you really should replace the condenser too. just too hard to get all the crap out of it from a compressor failure.

I know lots of guys charge a system by pressure only, but that is not the best way to do so. One can likely get in the ball park buy adding gas to a target value on the high side, but those pressures vary with ambient temp. You can get 'close enough' by charging by weight, but the best way to charge is pressure adjusted for temp at the condenser, but you need a handy dandy conversion chart for the specific refrigerant being used.

probably the best way to charge for the home mechanic is by weight, but you need a baby scale, or similar, maybe a postage scale to do so, since we are only using a few ounces. A bathroom scale wont cut it. weigh the can before and after.
one last thought, deliberately venting refrigerant into the air is a federal violation. I'm sure it is done, but in this treehugger mentality society, I sure wouldn't go around talking about it

the exception is that little bit of gas lost in connecting or disconnecting gages to the system
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

I know you guys are seasoned mechanics. I have never seen this happen on a system before.System called for 28.8 ounces of refridgerant . We put in maybe 24 ounces. I did add correct amount of oil.Yes, we used gas in low side not liquid. Can't figure out pressure variables like it has. Any help always appreciated. Thanks Tracy

Tracy, I think you answered your own question, if you don't have an over charge, and you are sure of that, then you likely have a restriction. I hate to ask you this, but are you sure you removed all the plugs from the ports on the new compressor when you installed it? (don't ask me how I know this can happen) As has already been said, if the original compressor was burned out or damaged in some way, you probably have debris in the condenser or evaporator. One of the biggest mistakes people make is not flushing the system

Edited by LouSWPA - 27 May 2019 at 9:31am
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:25am
210 on the high side is high but not out of line for a 99. They started 134 in 95 from R12. Took them 10 years to really figure it out. High pressure cutout is somewhere around 300-375 there abouts. Low pressure cutout will be around 20-25. I'm assuming it is still cycling the compressor as it is right now. Jump the switch on the accumulator 'low pressure switch on the can' with a paper clip and let it run and see what it does. If it eats the compressor take it back and get another. May have been junk to begin with. Never know what you get anymore no matter what you pay.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:42am
If you are looking at the refrigerant charge for R-12 at 28.8oz, and you are charging with R-134a, you have to back off the charge by 20% or 5.8oz, your correct charge should be around 23oz so you did not overcharge it if you put in 24.  Is the setting on "MAX," what happens when you rev up to 15-1800 rpm's?
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:59am
99 didn't use R12. 134 was started in 95.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 11:48am
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

99 didn't use R12. 134 was started in 95.

Been so long ago I can't remember, guess my 98 Isuzu is 134😳.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 11:17pm
Tracy! What did you decide? Follow up please!
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 7:38am
I have 134 in my 94 but it is a Chevy and they are always a year ahead of GMC. 😜
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 9:21am
It is running and cooling . Pressure is higher than should be. Going to see if a HVAC mechanic can figure out what is causing pressure. It was cooling down to 40's traveling on highway. Thanks Tracy
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 11:33am
If has the old style viscous thermatic fan clutch is likely shot, if has electronic cooling fans the switch may not be cutting them on soon enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic