This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC LOGGING 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC LOGGING 2019
    Posted: 16 May 2019 at 10:39pm
Ok guys....thought I should start a new post..instead of picking on Shameless to much...as I said pretty hectic here..but we got started logging. Probably the only reason I have time now is because we're in our second day of rain with several more days coming...going to mess up haying too. Hope to post lots of pictures and some videos as time allows. Daughter Amy showed up in the landing on day 1 and put this photo collage together of the 1st load.
 photo 7364AD3C-0987-4AC5-B743-EB23A5347E10_zpso5jfdlww.jpg
So upper left picture...L to R..Trenton Taglio (my oldest grandson) Mel Ford..Brannen Bray..Dave Ford.  Lower left..to left Cody Taglio (youngest grandson)..look closely..he's sporting a hat like the one that shameless is wearing somewhere....picture 5-5-19
  So I also have to spend some time on the ground making logs before we can run the 11B grapple
 photo IMG_0695_zps2sajx14a.jpg
So daughter Amy showed up today with a new version of hats for the logging division....made some comments about the one for the Shameless Dude being put on the shelf until he gets the pictures developed from the last hats he got.  Ok I'll try to stay after this.
 photo IMG_0821_zps13vw0cfq.jpg
Sponsored Links

AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:25pm
So this would be our "CHAIN SAW OFFICE"...just in case you can't tell...it used to be a tree. Brannen squared it of at the right height.. put the appropriate slots for saw placement...it is used as a work bench for sharpening and maintenance..saw storage when not in use etc.

photo IMG_0722_zpskrrw8ldz.jpg
Upper left slot is for filling gas and oil
 photo IMG_0721_zpsxvrrmxya.jpg
Trenton...preps his saw for a busy day of "knot bumping".."Hootie" is thinking of another biscuit...that he doesn't need.
 photo IMG_0811_zpshlu3r6qg.jpg
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 12:42am
Woo-Wee....that there is aighty fine looking hat! and...and hows come you gits so dirty standing up cutting trees? and...and...I gots sum mighty fine doggy treats I carry in my truck! and...and...that's a really good idea that Brannen did with that stump! **high fives Brannen! hummmmmmmm….I wonders if'n I talked sweet to Amy...if maybe she'd send me a hat?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 12:44am
I love yer pics Mel!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 6:19am
Looking good!! That old 7G working too?
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 6:30am
Once again, a great post by Mel. I'd given up on you ever posting again, and barely ever check the construction section any more. But something told me to check it this morning. Glad I did. Darrel
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:07am
Mel, I would say you boys are sure a busy bunch... and the whole crew is looking good, even Hootie too.
  The saw maintenance stump has been very helpful for me too, but usually used just for two saws.
  Your missing one of the crew, the documentater and photographer...
  As fer ol (won't mention him by name) no picture man, you have better chance of getting a picture from Hootie deliver by her own paw than you do from Blair Kneebraska.  and the hat sittin on yourshelf is as good a place as it can be. Wink
  Thanks Mel for your updates of whats happening out there. 
 Take care and don't have any mishaps.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 8:06pm
Mel,
 You guys get real work done! I am going to take a chance here and guess that you guys like Stihl saws! 
Great pictures!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 3:14pm
Thanks for the pictures Mel, great to hear from you again. Keep that equipment busy, be safe and thank for the pictures.
Tom
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 4:56pm
Great work Mel. Good to see logging operations carried out in a practical manner. Damn safety regulations here mean that is a thing of bygone days for us.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 10:19pm
Ok guys...thanks for all the nice comments! We're going to try to stay after this post. I'll try to answer some questions first.  Shameless...I would think that if you send some pictures to Amy with your previous style hats on...she would issue you a coupon for a new logging division hat.
 Dave...the 7G is not here....was hoping to get it up here....this is the exact spot it was sitting in when the fire came through...have know idea how it survived. After we made those modifications to the decelerator pedal..which worked fine...we had some issues with brakes...so we took it down the hill after the fire..it might make it back for cleanup.
 Darrel....You need to keep checkin here...cause we got 645 pictures and videos coming....truth be know we are going to move the 745 up there to use also.
 JC...We're gonna get those pictures some day....might be next march....when my wife and I travel to Kansas City to her aunts 100th birthday..uno via Nebraska..betcha we could get an audience if I put out an alert first..LOL...be a lot easier if he just settles up with Amy first...for that coupon.
 Chris..yes we're Stihl people..LOL..took a laminated picture of that to the Stihl dealer for them to promote.  Our Stihl dealer is a farm ranch type store...that treated fire victims with special discounts for a one year period...so we got our moneys worth...and we're very appreciative.
 Ok...going to post these comments...before I try to link to a youtube of falling timber...might hit the wrong key and loose all of this. 
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 11:17pm
So...We got a feller buncher...to do this job...the learning curve was pretty steep...was doing pretty good..but while I was waiting for a replacement bar that I bent...I called a timber faller friend and turned him loose.

[TUBE]Hm-tt7tsydc[/TUBE]
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 11:29pm
Some of ACs finest
 photo UBlHI-ege1AYjCY1ERgC_VcZeRHXstGNFq5bNrliADGxg9BposcW-k6bvakYwhLRDo_6wud2kALeNSFn0zpue06NNsLmXRgcokUshzCvr3zQYgadYfcXwwK9HYbz_zpsyffqt9xv.jpg
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 11:35pm
So...this is what our faller did in a couple of days
 photo IMG_0806_zpsq5a3jpeh.jpg
 photo IMG_0807_zpshbr71g9b.jpg
 photo IMG_0808_zpsywkokbzn.jpg
 photo IMG_0809_zpsl3z70pmj.jpg
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 12:18am
look'in good Mel, that's a pretty definite thump they make when landing unlike other types of trees that have crotches in them! ya'll be safe out there!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 12:19am
oh...and PM me Amy's e-mail addy
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 7:05am
So which picture you sendin to Amy to get your coupon?
This one?

or this one?
or this one? https://allischalmers.com/FORUM/uploads/242/Shammers.JPG or this one? https://allischalmers.com/FORUM/uploads/242/shamers.jpg
Oh wait, them last three Shameless's haven't got Mel's hats on...
 So your just goin to try and sweet talk type Amy into sendin you a coupon fer that forestry hat...???

Mel,  Ye might have a nibble there for sure... Just gotta set the hook. LOL
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 8:02am
Mel,
 So are these trees damaged by the fires? And is the value/ Quality still there after a fire?
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 8:24am
As to the brakes Mel, what did they do? Mine broke a band long ago and I have since backed off the Boost to them to next to nothing as it is not really necessary, that tidbit from our cohorts down under.

Mine also has an issue with the ratchet retainer for the adjusters, I am going to retrieve the ones from my spare and try to rehab them so they do not back off on their own as they currently do. As to book spec adjustment I could not get response on mine(Wear issues) until I reduced the number of turns backed off from snug, book calls for two full turns which put them on the floor, one kept them too engaged so I am currently at 1 1/2 turns off snug. I backed the reliefs almost completely OFF for the hydraulic assist, MUCH smoother.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 11:45am
Chris...yes all of these trees have some kind of fire damage. some are worse than others. Some are burned on one side..some on both sides. some still have green tops ..while others are gone. The ones with green tops that look like they might be ok are stressed so bad that they probably will not make it. The bugs move into the stressed trees and kill them. In the case of Douglas fir..it might get a couple of years after a fire before it has to much damage to be salvaged. Look at some of the pictures and videos of the standing trees and you can see more fire damage. So at this stage..yes the wood is still good and has the same value as unburned green wood...but we're up against the clock for time now.
 Dave..the brakes on the 7G feel hard and won't work right..tried adjusting and backed of the pressure..as you had mentioned in an earlier post. Had a plan to go in there and check it all out...but..but that hasn't happened...I'll let you know when I get in there.
  So Brannen has been taking videos of me...while I have videos of him...he has some posted on utube that I will link up here....Ihope
[TUBE]RqTaRccoHJU[/TUBE]
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 11:51am
Darrel..you watching...this is a 645 re powered with an IVECO engine..it was a popular thing back in the 80s after FIAT took over...AND THAT'S ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT.
[TUBE]FVrz6SBAofQ[/TUBE]
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 12:15pm
So this was day one of operations [TUBE]lyDVIH5Pq_c[/TUBE]

AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 12:33pm
It's been said that running a grapple tractor logging "is the most fun you can have with out taking of your clothes"[TUBE]xJXZWBekLGI[/TUBE]
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 12:45pm
And occasionally the faller hangs one up...he calls for the big yellow wedge...AKA HD11B GRAPPLE[TUBE]CzLWlocq5lo[/TUBE]
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 1:36pm
All cool videos.
I have three rows of some fizzled out cariganna trees/bushes in one of my fields. Each row is about a half mile long. They need to come out, so I took the 645 down there to do the job one evening. wasn't sure how it was going to go. Took about 45 minutes to get a row out. 645 hardly broke a sweat, except for about 10 bigger trees that are still standing. Not quite like your logging operation, but none the less, fun. Still have to pick up the removed trees, plus do the other two rows.

I see that on your 645, the two grapple forks (farmer terminology; not sure if it's correct for loggers) move independently of each other. Do you have a hydraulic circuit for each fork, or is it one, and the fork with the least resistance moves... ? On our latest 645 (actually belongs to my son), we need to get an extra hydraulic circuit on it to run a bale grapple. Actually two extra circuits would be better. It is common practice around here to have the grapple divided in half and run independently of each other. That way you can go pick up one bale and squeeze down on it, then go grab another bale with the other half. darrel
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 4:30pm
Very neat job there. Really enjoy seeing how other folks use their AC stuff!
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 3:28am
cool vids Mel...keep 'em coming!
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 5:22pm
Ok...So this will be our coolest video ever...been sitting on this since August.  A very good friend of ours likes taking pictures with his drone...we told him to go for it. He put this together from clips he made and he put the music to it. I spent quite a bit of time researching copy rite issues on you tube. Don't know exactly where we fit in....no monetary value be recognized by us...but it makes for cool videos. Sounds like the options are...1-you tube takes it down...2-they ask me to take it down (I will)  3-leave it up for everyone to enjoy...sounds like if it get millions of hits the copy rite owners can put commercials with it...LOL
  Ok I'll see if I can get it loaded here.

[TUBE]EOLam-OC1GU[/TUBE]

AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 5:36pm
Ok...I got it!!...So at the beginning..I'm running the grapple 11 Brannen is limbing and bucking trees up the hill. He takes over the grapple.....I'm running the 645...cleaning and sorting. David is loading himself with the 745. David also runs the truck down the hill. We were able to get 50 loads before our time ran out...mostly do to the bug damage....the mill was getting fussy about taking more burned logs too.  What do you think? 4 star event?
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 6:17pm
I liked every bit of that video.

Edited by exSW - 07 Dec 2019 at 6:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic