This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

construction machinery or industrial equipment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: construction machinery or industrial equipment
    Posted: 16 May 2019 at 10:09pm
I may be displaying my ignorance, but here goes.
Industrial equipment is farm tractor based and
construction machinery is built from the ground up
as construction machinery. What are your thoughts?
Thanks a lot,
Dean(IA)
Dean(IA)
Sponsored Links

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:30pm
Sounds about right although I also consider industrial equipment mostly tractors used in a factory or on the grounds to pull carts, winch stuff and mow around the buildings.
Kind of splitting straws, I guess.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 5:37am
I think of 'construction' equipment as 'things' that are used to build stuff like roads, building etc. 'Industrial' equipment  more so as 'maintenance' machinery.
Though if they all are painted yellow, well, then they ain't for farming, wel, cept MM tractors !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 9:34pm
It's not so much of where it 'comes from'... it's where it was 'marketed to'.

See... when a manufacturer of equipment is making components, they start by making them for a specific product, and then as time goes on, they find additional markets for that product, they reutilize components as much as possible, so that higher production of similar parts yields economies of scale.  Sometimes, that means altering an existing part so that it's more robust in the duty of a more challenging environment.  For example... let's say you take a tractor chassis and driveline, and utilize it in an all-terrain forklift for construction, and also as an industrial or aircraft tug.  In the latter forms, a little more strength in axle shafts may be necessary.  Instead of designing an improved axle shaft, and using it for the industrial/construction markets, they implement it in all THREE, and eliminate (actually just supercede) the prior part.  This greatly reduces the cost of production and parts inventory maintenance, at an otherwise insignificant materials and production cost increase.

The construction equipment 'division' are essentially sales and engineering staff that focus on construction industry.  The industrial division focuses on industrial customer base, and ag is farmers.  How the equipment is produced, is basically irrelevant, as long as it's good, and economical.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 5:54am
When Allis-Chalmers first introduced the yellow version of the tractors and equipment in 1961 they called it the "Utility Line". Within a year the brochures changed to the "Industrial Line".  Backhoes, small dozers, and smaller loaders were sold by "Industrial" dealers. The larger equipment was "Construction " dealers. 
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 5:33am
'Utillity' sounds light duty, 'Industrial' sounds TOUGH !!
Though I'd raher buy a 'utility' A-C than an 'industrial' JD Big smile
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 6:40am
Industrial usually means heavier built. My industrial IH 464 compared to the farm version of the 464 has a heavier front end,much better steering,reverser lever on the steering column,stronger hydraulics.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 9:32am
Dean:  Does this mean your working on a new book for industrial and construction machinery?  - I hope so. 

Orangeman
Dean(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 3:40pm
Yes , i have sent the new book to the printer. The new book contains lots of pages pf construction and industrial equipment
Dean(IA)
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2022 at 10:04am
Fantastic!  Lookin' forward to 'where-to-buy' announcement!
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 12:17pm
Roger Amato is working on a new book of Allis-Chalmers construction equipment. I have supplied him a number of scans of AC equipment brochures that he didn't have. He has written several other books. Roger is involved in the HCEA. I have seen a partial draft. Hopefully it will be published this year.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic