This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Truck insurance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Truck insurance
    Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 5:38pm
So, I retired.  I bought a truck to haul tractors to and from auctions and buy and sell, etc.  All for myself, not for hire.  My insurance, USAA, which I have had for over 35 years, tells me today they do not cover that type of vehicle (by the VIN), that, being a 2000 GMC 3500HD (not the standard 3500) because it was sold as a commercial vehicle.  Or, basically, an incomplete vehicle.  They insure the standard 3500 C/K style, but not the HD.

However, they do go through a third party for you, which in this case, was Progressive.  So, for what I am doing, just liability is $300 a year, but, after running my driving record, it shows I hit 2 deer, one my car, the other, a town vehicle while working.  So, with that new news, it would be $590 a year.  So, basically double for whacking a couple deer.

Anyway, I do have a small farm for tax purposes, chicken feed, fencing, etc. and sell eggs and apples, and my equipment, etc., and now that I am retired, I could incorporate my vehicle into the farm and go whole hog...

Anyone with experience with hauling vintage tractors, both for hire, and not for hire, regards vehicle insurance, oh, and trailer insurance and who you use would be great.

Thanks,

Carl

And a picture, because we all like pictures..

Edited by OldSchoolRecovery - 29 Apr 2019 at 5:40pm
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 5:55pm
Tag it as a farm vehicle.  Some states limit milage, and trip distances, so check with your MVA, first.
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
OldSchoolRecovery View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 5:59pm
That was one of my considerations, but not sure how "insurance" would effect, or benefit, that...

I do know my truck plates would be less money for sure..

Thanks,

Carl

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 12:50pm
I run farm plates on everything but the Prius, couldn't convince the DMV it was my ditch rider car.  I have Farmers Union Insurance.  Any outfit that insures farms should have something you can use, just need to compare prices and coverage.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 1:33pm
My GMC 7000 and my Ford are actually titled to me but with a caveat to TOD in our trust to a nephew through the Farm so license the one Local "F" tag the other still gets a BL tag as the F tag has a 150 mile In State limit from home and only 25 miles across state lines.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 2:13pm
Odd in son put Progressive on his dump truck - best rate around - 1 month later they sent a notice he owed 4 times the original rate and had 10 days to pay or they were canceling policy - as premium was $1700 to start - they just wanted $6,800 more in premiums 
  He canceled and found another company - then Progressive sent out notice they canceled for cause - A REAL SHYSTER company to deal with .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 2:16pm
In this state, how it is tagged farm or not has virtually no impact on insurance rates, with the exception of how many policies you have through an insurance company.  Meaning, if you have multi -car, multi -policy with a regular automotive company, that may be cheaper overall, or not, with whoever is providing the farm insurance. 

As for what your policy costs on that truck.....try insuring it in Michigan, we are #1 in cost, by farCensored
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 2:34pm
Sorry for ya TB, we have some of the best rates in MO. Farm truck Liability only is $135/six months, pickup is full coverage $320 a year but is 20 years old. All our insurance is through Missouri Farm bureau.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 5:33pm
I'm going to my local agent here tomorrow.  I have had USAA though the military for over 35 years like I said, so not sure how the local stuff works these days.

I was really liking the idea of farm plates and might go that route, but a regular truck plate for that weight is only 150 vs 75 for the farm plate.  Not sure saving 75 buck is worth the target on your back.  I may go pick up a piece of equipment or part for my neighbor a couple states away once or twice a year and don't need any headaches.

I think I can get away with personal insurance (vs business) for the truck.  I'm not running every day, maybe twice a year for a couple days during auction time, etc. 

I looked at HotShot insurance and its equivalent to running a semi full time.  So, no, I'm retired and my real boss does not want me working anymore.  LOL,

Thanks,

Carl

Edited by OldSchoolRecovery - 30 Apr 2019 at 5:35pm
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 8:08pm
GVW of over 9,000 and if your going to pull a trailer with over 10,000 then your looking at a whole new ball game as you need inspection sticker on truck and trailer . 
 A 3500 or 1 ton chassis presents DOT regs and the thing of scales annual inspections , and in some cases CDL  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

GVW of over 9,000 and if your going to pull a trailer with over 10,000 then your looking at a whole new ball game as you need inspection sticker on truck and trailer . 
 A 3500 or 1 ton chassis presents DOT regs and the thing of scales annual inspections , and in some cases CDL  

I do have a CDL, so there is that,

I'll have to do some reading,

Carl
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 8:40pm
Farm Plates: For interstate operation, in most instances, Wisconsin has reciprocity with Iowa, Illinois and Michigan. There is no reciprocity agreement with Minnesota.

Well, farm plates are out.....

Going to MN next week to pick up 3 milling machines.  For me...

Just sayin, 

Carl

Edited by OldSchoolRecovery - 30 Apr 2019 at 8:41pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 8:52pm
The UCR definition of a commercial motor vehicle (as defined under 49 USC Section 31101) means a self-propelled or towed vehicle used on the highways in commerce principally to transport passengers or cargo, if the vehicle: 1. Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of at least 10,001 lbs., whichever is greater; 2. Is designed to transport more than 10 passengers including the driver; or 3. Is used to transport material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 USC Section 5103 in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary, also listed under Section 5103.

"used in commerce" is what I am not doing, so I think I OK.  And my truck wieghs under 10,000 and is supposed to pull 15,000, so I will be under 26,000.  I think I'm good.  LOL.  Keep reading.

Carl
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 10:39pm
If your trailer has 14,000 tags on it you'll need a class A CDL
 and Coke is right if you do anything for money weather you make anything on it or not you'll be considered COMMERIAL and will have to kiss the DOT you know what and they're getting tougher all the time.
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by OldSchoolRecovery OldSchoolRecovery wrote:

So, I retired.  I bought a truck to haul tractors to and from auctions and buy and sell, etc.  All for myself, not for hire.  My insurance, USAA, which I have had for over 35 years, tells me today they do not cover that type of vehicle (by the VIN), that, being a 2000 GMC 3500HD (not the standard 3500) because it was sold as a commercial vehicle.  Or, basically, an incomplete vehicle.  They insure the standard 3500 C/K style, but not the HD.

However, they do go through a third party for you, which in this case, was Progressive.  So, for what I am doing, just liability is $300 a year, but, after running my driving record, it shows I hit 2 deer, one my car, the other, a town vehicle while working.  So, with that new news, it would be $590 a year.  So, basically double for whacking a couple deer.

Anyway, I do have a small farm for tax purposes, chicken feed, fencing, etc. and sell eggs and apples, and my equipment, etc., and now that I am retired, I could incorporate my vehicle into the farm and go whole hog...

Anyone with experience with hauling vintage tractors, both for hire, and not for hire, regards vehicle insurance, oh, and trailer insurance and who you use would be great.

Thanks,

Carl

And a picture, because we all like pictures..
 In your first sentence you stated buy and sell, the DOT doesn't care if you do it for hire or not you're buying and selling thus you would be considered COMMERCIAL.

JoeO(C-MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(C-MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 5:59pm

That is a NICE truck!

I had to settle for this ORANGE one! 

Edited by JoeO(C-MO) - 02 May 2019 at 6:53pm
D10 III, D15 II 3 pt, D15 II SC, 170 Gas w/shuttle, 175 Diesel UI ROPS, 185 w ROPS. AC 653 w/6 way blade, ROPS
AC 615 Ind. WD45 running/Parts.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:49pm
I have one like that..
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 8:04pm
With much deliberation and research..

For insurance, I can get liability insurance for the truck not comercial, just waiting to see if the local agent can get me a better price.

As for tags.  I decided to forgo the gooseneck or 5th wheel and leave the truck bed a 12 feet and get a bumper pull trailer.  If I stay under 10,001 pounds for the trailer with load, I will be OK.

So, I could put a D17 on the truck and another D17 on the trailer and be in high cotton.  

All is good,

Carl

FWIW, from all my research, I have determined that about 80% of the pickup truck trailer operators up here in the sticks are pulling way too much trailer, etc.  Just today I say a Dodge 2500 (single wheel rear) pulling a 30 foot 26,000 gooseneck trailer.  The trailer was empty, but the setup looks like he hauls a skidder for backhoe, etc.  As long as he stays around here he is probably OK, but in the wrong jurisdiction, he be in some trouble.  And then there is the possibility of an accident with injury.  I have too much to loose at this point in my life.  I think I will follow the rules as best I can.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(C-MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 3:09am

I want to drive close to a small Gleaner somewhere this summer to get a harvest pic..

Everything around here has gone green.

Edited by JoeO(C-MO) - 02 May 2019 at 3:19am
D10 III, D15 II 3 pt, D15 II SC, 170 Gas w/shuttle, 175 Diesel UI ROPS, 185 w ROPS. AC 653 w/6 way blade, ROPS
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(C-MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 3:11am
Originally posted by OldSchoolRecovery OldSchoolRecovery wrote:

I have one like that..

Hey, how COOL is that?
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:05pm
1st auction run was a success..  Plates and insurance, done.  LOL, got the plates on the way and are sitting in the front seat.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:06pm
Another picture....
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:37pm
Second auction trip a success. 22,380 pounds across the scales in Minnesota, and average 9.86 miles per gallon.  10.22 just pulling the empty equipment trailer, and 8.72 with truck and tractor on the trailer.

Thanks for looking, 

Carl
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:38pm
I needed an "air brake" truck for my collection,

Just sayin,

Carl
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:39pm
Forgot to add, 1,782 miles round trip without a hiccup..

Carl

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 11:15pm
Be wise to have paperwork supporting ownership of load...real or not. Just sayin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic