This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Tranny Shifts Hard - Victory!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Tranny Shifts Hard - Victory!
    Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 4:46pm
Bill, those are kind words, indeed. Thank you. Half the fun is bringing them back to life! Which I couldn't do without the help I find on here, for sure.

Dave
p.s. I know this isn't your favorite, but might it be a close second? Wink
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Sponsored Links

Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 12:19pm
Dave,  I never cease to be amazed at the knowledge that is so abundantly displayed on this site.  You have graciously received outstanding advice from some of the best mechanics I have never met. 
I was pleased to sell the CA for the life of the unit and have been into CA transmissions quite a few times but they were new then.  Wear and tear and yes water have occurred with a 65 year old tractor -i never cease to be amazed that with proper care they are still well functioning units.
You sir, are doing an outstanding job keeping an excellent unit alive and well.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 11:54am
I'm ready to declare victory here. Here are the details:

1. Clamped the side plate/shift mechanism in my vise. I used a soft hammer to tap on the rods. The rods were pretty stiff at first but got easier to move as I worked them back and forth. It was obvious when a rod was in one of its detents. Applied a little WD40 and then oil which seemed to help more. I saw no signs of rust such as discolored WD40 running out of the mechanism.

2. Took a deep breath, lined up the forks to match the shift collars in neutral, and reinstalled the side plate. The forks and shift lever slid into place on the 2nd try. I took this as a good omen!

3. Reinstalled all the extraneous bits, added HyTran, double checked the drain plugs and fired her up. I was able to shift into all 5 gears, some more easily than others.

4. Ran it up the road and back in 4th - a little over a mile total. Still able to shift into all gears.

I appreciate all the suggestions/guidance on this one. Fortunately and happily, it's got a good ending. Another victory for the Forum! Big smile

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 5:51pm
David - sounds like a lot of fun! I'll post an update soon - still haven't managed to break free of the chore list to be able to go down to the barn.

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
DavidnTenIll View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidnTenIll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 3:35pm
Unfortunately you will have to hold the shifter yoke in the approximate position it would be in if it were in groove on shift collar.
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidnTenIll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 3:30pm
With the shifter side cover assembly secured upright in a vise you should be able to move each shifter rod back and forth with your shift lever. You should be able to see if detents are positive but not binding. Should snap in each one positively as you shift back and forth. I believe you bottom rod is 1st, neutral and 4th. Middle rod is 2nd, neutral and 3rd. Top rod is neutral and reverse. When they are in neutral position the shifter lever can move center, left or right depending on which gear collar you want to move.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 1:22pm
David - thanks for describing the shifting mechanism's operation. I will check the shifting action to see if the rods behave properly. The shift lever itself hasn't been welded or ground, but it could be worn. I'll try to get a good picture of the end of it.

One thing that seems important to me: The tranny behaved differently cold vs hot with the contaminated oil. It shifted into gears much better when cold than hot. Does this mean anything in diagnosing this?

Thanks again for the help!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidnTenIll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 9:03am
When you say the shift collars move easily by hand I'm guessing your problem lies in your shift mechanism.
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidnTenIll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 9:01am
Your don't mention whether or not any of the shifting mechanism has been welded on or modified. I have worked on shift levers that were welded up and ground down but not dimensioned correctly that would bind up in the forks shifting into certain gears and not others. Also the shifter rods have a cross pin interlock to prevent more than one shifter rail to move from the neutral position at a time. If any rod doesn't return to neutral position properly it could cause a problem. I guess what I'm trying to say is you detents and interlock pin and rod detents/springs must be in good working order. Also shift lever cup, retainer, and snap. Need to be in effect.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 9:31pm
Wasn't able to work on this project today. 

But I have an idea of what might be going on:

Yesterday, with the foot clutch depressed, the shift collars easily engaged the gears on either side of the collars. That means that the cause of the hard shifting either has to be in the shifter or related to the contaminated oil.

Does this make sense?

If it does, and if I can find no indication of binding in the shift mechanism, then would it also make sense to reinstall the shifter, add oil, and see whether the problem is cured?

Thanks!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 9:24pm
Okay. Hydraulic pump is drained same contaminated oil. Pulled side plate/shifter. All the plungers are clean, bright and shiny. Mopped last of the oil out of the tranny. Collars move easily on the shaft. Will check the plungers tomorrow to make sure that all of them move okay.

Two questions:

1. Where should the collars be positioned when I (try to) reinsert the shifter forks? I'm guessing that the two main shaft collars should be sitting between the pair of gears adjacent to each. And the reverse collar should be lined up with reverse fork.

2. What should I check next?

Thanks!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 5:29pm
Yep - that was the reason I drained the tranny. Will report back once I have checked the collars. The water was a "bonus"!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 3:48pm
While you have it drained, would be a good time to remove the side cover and check how free the collars slide on the shaft. They should slide free, unless there is interference in the splines.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 3:07pm
I checked the foot clutch disengagement per CTucker's instructions. Seems fine. Drained the tranny fluid and found this:

The plastic jar has some HyTran right from the container for comparison. So clearly the tranny/differential had some water in it. I saw a little of the milky brown goop when I drained the differential (via a axle housing bolt hole) when working on the hand clutch and brakes. SHOULD have drained the tranny right then and there, but the chunky wood blocks supporting the tractor were in the way. Not much of an excuse, but I have learned a good lesson.

I'm letting the tranny drip until it stops, hoping to get all the water out of it. Is the drain plug truly at the low point in the tranny? I'll drain the pto pump next.

Wonder how much of my shifting problem is due to the contaminated HyTran?

Dave
p.s. My drain pan looks really clean as I had planned to re-use the HyTran....not any more!

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 26 Apr 2019 at 3:09pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidnTenIll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 1:32pm
Rather I meant from CT
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidnTenIll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 1:25pm
Good advice from Dave I think.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 7:54am
Thanks, CTucker. Much appreciated.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Dave(inMA) Dave(inMA) wrote:

1. Is there a way to tell if foot clutch is releasing fully?

2.I'm not sure if the lube IS okay. I wonder if these trannys want low foaming lube. Also whether the lube I used meets the 821 spec.

Thanks again!
Dave

1. With the engine running, and in gear, push the clutch in and stop completely. Take it out of gear for a couple 3 seconds, and without letting the clutch out or the back wheels to roll,  shift back into gear. If the clutch isn't releasing all the way, it will try to grind, while going from neutral into a gear.
2. that lube should be just fine  IMO.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by DavidnTenIll DavidnTenIll wrote:

I believe CA just like WD changed transmissions around 1953 from a soft straight tooth sliding gear to a helical hardened and ground constant mesh transmission where you only shift collars not gears. Early ones are easier to shift at least in the wd. If your lube is ok I would be looking at rusty broken springs/ balls in shifter detents and also make sure foot clutch is releasing all the way and not keeping the trans under load. Unless you have some bad bearing but would think that would be more noticeable than just shifting. Have rebuilt numerous wd45 shifter assemblies and rusting rods, spring, and detent balls never work well.

The CA never had a spur gear tranny like the B and C. It had the constant mesh tranny from the beginning.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 5:31pm
David - thanks for your ideas. It's a 1954; S/N 31433. You're correct that the tranny shifts by moving collars - at least that's what I found in the tranny years ago! 

Is there a way to tell if foot clutch is releasing fully?

I'm not sure if the lube IS okay. I wonder if these trannys want low foaming lube. Also whether the lube I used meets the 821 spec.

Thanks again!
Dave

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 25 Apr 2019 at 5:33pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidnTenIll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 5:13pm
You didn't mention what year it is?
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidnTenIll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 5:10pm
I believe CA just like WD changed transmissions around 1953 from a soft straight tooth sliding gear to a helical hardened and ground constant mesh transmission where you only shift collars not gears. Early ones are easier to shift at least in the wd. If your lube is ok I would be looking at rusty broken springs/ balls in shifter detents and also make sure foot clutch is releasing all the way and not keeping the trans under load. Unless you have some bad bearing but would think that would be more noticeable than just shifting. Have rebuilt numerous wd45 shifter assemblies and rusting rods, spring, and detent balls never work well.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 4:15pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 3:51pm
Dick - thanks for explaining! I'll check out the slide gears as you described.

I don't believe I ever removed the seal housings, though someone might have done so before I bought the tractor. Would I have had to remove them in order when I disassembled the transmission? It was a long time ago, so I'm not recalling details. I'm taking your comment to mean that I don't need to worry about backlash if those housings weren't disturbed.

Do you think there's anything to the difference in shifting when hot vs cold? Do you think the NAPA hy-tran I used is okay?

Thanks very much!
Dave

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 25 Apr 2019 at 4:01pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Dave(inMA) Dave(inMA) wrote:

Dennis, I don't know how to set or recall setting the "in play or backlash". So misadjustment in that area could be a factor. How does one set it and do you know what the specification is?

Dick, I'm not following this part of your post: "Normally when replacing the side plate with the forks that you breath will cause them to move..." Can you explain this differently?

Thanks, both of you!
Dave

The slide gears move so freely that when the forks can not engage the grove because they have moved when being bumped so slightly you wonder how they could have moved.

If the seal housings behind the final drive on both sides have not been remove and the shims mixed up you have nothing to worry about.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 10:54am
Dennis, I don't know how to set or recall setting the "in play or backlash". So misadjustment in that area could be a factor. How does one set it and do you know what the specification is?

Dick, I'm not following this part of your post: "Normally when replacing the side plate with the forks that you breath will cause them to move..." Can you explain this differently?

Thanks, both of you!
Dave

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 25 Apr 2019 at 10:55am
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 10:31am
Shouldn't be a need to remove the shifter stick to check it out. Drain the oil and remove the side plate. You will be able to move the slide gears back and forth to see if you have damage on the shaft from gear chips or grindings. You can also so see how bad the gear teeth are that cause it to jump out of gear. I don't have pictures of the CA gears and to darn old and lazy to take the plate off one in the shed and take a picture.

My guess is the slid gears are rough on the shaft. Normally when replacing the side plate with the forks that you breath will cause them to move and you get to keep trying until the forks to enter the grooves in the gears. If that is the case you might be able to smooth the shaft with a strip of emery cloth without removal or a total disassembly of the transmission.
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 9:08am
You also mentioned that you worked on the transmission. Could it be possible that the in play or backlash is too tight and When it warms up it starts to bind a bit?
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 8:35am
Some more info. This morning with the tractor stone cold, shifting into gears works much better. I'm wondering if there's a heat build-up issue or a problem with the NAPA Hytran I used. While the container says it meets "JD, J20A, J14B, C (303) & J21A, Case IH Hy-Tran, MF Permatran Specs", no where on the container does it mention "821" which I dimly recall as being right for AC applications. Also doesn't indicate that it's low foaming. When I drove to my friend's farm for the plowing test, I ran 2 miles in 4th gear to get there. I noticed that it was hard to get into 2nd when I got there. So maybe heat buildup linked to the wrong fluid?

Thanks for any input on this!
Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 8:20pm
Hi Dennis. I bought this tractor about 15 or so years ago. I don't know any of its history prior to buying it. It hasn't had a lot of use since I bought it. Some years I've started it and used it for hauling a small cart. It had more use prior to 2010 when I raked or tedded hay with my farmer friend. It's sat a lot more than it's been used, for sure. I worked on 3rd gear about 12 years ago - it was popping out of gear. It's always needed me to be gentle and to work the clutch a bit to shift into gear.

I don't remember it ever being as cranky as it was yesterday. The only thing that's happened recently is that I drained the fluid from the differential when working on the hand clutch and brakes. I refilled with HyTran. Took about 8 quarts vs 8.75 quart capacity, but I hadn't drained the hydraulic pump.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic