This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B running rough

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Ranse Ranse wrote:

I can't choke it out. Pull the choke, it keeps running, no noticeable change. I put my hand over the breather-same thing. It doesn't seem to choke it down. .

Putting your hand over the breather should kill the engine. There might be a leak in the intake somewhere, possiably the hose between the air cleaner and carburetor.
There might be dirt in the gas system somewhere because of no smoke. Take the valve with the gas bowel out of the gas tank and visualy check for dirt, if clean then go into the carb.  
Don't use air and blow back through the carb, that might collapse the float!

Edited by nella(Pa) - 12 Apr 2019 at 7:03am
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 6:35am
Spitting and sputtering could be caused by a lot of things. The first thing I would do is inspect the Ignition system whether its a Mag or Distributor fired. As Dick mentioned, check the points for corrosion, change out the condenser, do an ohms check on the coil. The next thing I would do is drain the fuel tank of what fuel is in there, along with draining the Carb, and the fuel delivery system and start there with fresh fuel. If there's Ethanol in your fuel, that causes more problems than you think, and the Seafoam isn't gonna help a lot. Sometimes if the fuel isn't separated to much, an additive like Seafoam or dry gas may help, but there isn't any longevity to this lousy fuel we have. Lastly, if things haven't ironed out by then, check your valve lash at the rockers. Might have a tight valve or two causing the lousy running. You'll find it.
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 6:20am
The screw adjust the air mixture for idle alone. When you have the throttle set above idle you can take it out and put it your pocket and go back to work. When you try to idle then it will die.

Any engine speed depends on the opening of the throttle plate!

The idle speed is set with (the throttle plate opening) the stop screw on the back side. The screw is adjusted for a fuel air mixture that makes the engine run smooth at the desired slow idle or how small the throttle plate opening. Your sputtering can be a dirty non adjustable power jet or it might even be dirty points.

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 9:43pm
The shop manual may help though often carburetor adjustments are in the operator's manual:

http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/Allis-Chalmers-G-B-C-CA-Service.pdf

http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/BMilitary.pdf

The slow speed idle mixture adjustment screw usually is only effective with the engine idling very slow. It could be that the internal choke plate isn't changing position even though the shaft or the choke cable is. My JD 4020 choke cable likes to get the outside not anchored near the carburetor and to cause such problems.

Gerald J.
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 8:47pm
I got my NH rake gearbox finished yesterday. I took it out in the pasture today and raked up some hay the cows didn't clean up. Rake did great. The B however spit, sputtered, and cut out like crazy. It's only been started two or three times all winter. It could use some fresh gas, but I don't think that's all of it. I cleaned the sediment bowl a couple of times. It didn't help, and I didn't really see anything in it. I put half a bottle of seafoam in it and pulled the rake around hoping it would straighten out-nope. Then I played around with the carburetor. Here's something I don't understand. It has a marvel carb with the fixed jet. I can turn that one screw all the way down as far as it will go, or I can turn it out till it's just about to come out and it doesn't do anything. I can't tell a bit of change from extreme to the other in the way it runs. Another strange thing, I can't choke it out. Pull the choke, it keeps running, no noticeable change. I put my hand over the breather-same thing. It doesn't seem to choke it down. This isn't the first time I've noticed these things, although it usually runs better. It always starts good. It's starting good now, just not running right. Any suggestions appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic