This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cell phones create jobs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cell phones create jobs
    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 11:45am
It’s true. Hire one of these millennials and it takes another employee just to keep the millennial busy.
I’m starting to not have patients for such. I tell the boss don’t send me any when we’re in a rush. We’re always in a rush
Sponsored Links

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 11:59am
Next great invention a phone signal blocker so the boss can get work out of the younger ones. LOL 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 12:22pm
Pretty easy for one shop here, come to work phone goes in locker and stays there until breaks. Two warnings and Out the Door, fired. Cannot be without it and released before ever hired.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Pretty easy for one shop here, come to work phone goes in locker and stays there until breaks. Two warnings and Out the Door, fired. Cannot be without it and released before ever hired.

We’re required to carry one here.👎
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 1:29pm
The priest at our church has a rule about cell phones . If it goes off during mass he waves for you to come sit in the front row . I just leave mine in the truck.

A lot of contractors that I work with have little tolerance for texting , games on cell phones . I overhear a lot of arguments between bosses and workers .Just seen a youngin get fired last week . Seems he was playing on his phone when boss would leave jobsite .Boss got wise , told everbody real loud he was going to Menards. Turns out he parked down the street ,snuck back and used his cell phone to film the kid playing on his phone .The youngin was so occupied he did not notice the boss was filming him . Acted real surprised when the boss came unglued .The boss told him you try and claim for unemployment I will show them just how valuable you are

Edited by Pat the Plumber CIL - 14 Mar 2019 at 1:42pm
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 2:19pm
" I will show them just how valuable you are"
 Well that took care of that business right there... done... finished.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 3:22pm
When I was doing septic systems had a couple laborers who would play on cell phone while i was digging trench - one even said he would run the hoe where he could use his phone while i carried pipe or leveled the trench . First and Last day at the same time !

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 3:26pm
no cell phones working hours. punks here live on em.
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 3:50pm
kids and parents in an uproare here in Ontario cause the guv wants to ban cellphones from the classrooms !!
kids are real lucky I ain't their teacher.. $20 jammer would be ON and ALL the hats OFF !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 5:38pm
[TUBE]3Bu3Z3Xdynw[/TUBE]
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 5:52pm
where I work, there is the 'official cell phone rules';
dont be on your phone while loading
dont be on your phone while unloading
dont be on your while at the customer
dont be on your phone in front of the customer
dont be on your phone while behind the wheel of any company vehicle, unless stopped and brakes set.

here are the 'unofficail rules, aka 'the wink-wink, nod-nod rules'
you had better have your phone on your person at all times
you better answer within 3 rings even when traveling
if you are called on your days off, and you dont answer or call-back, you are labeled 'as not a team player'
depending how much of a 'brown-noser' you are, the 'official rules' do not apply to you.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 5:56pm
also for got to add
if you show up for work without your phone, either it broke, lost, forgot it, dead battery, etc., you will be told to go home, beg, borrow or steal a phone form friend, family, or foe. NO PHONE NO WORK, and will be written up.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 6:09pm
well I wasn't a 'team player' at Stelco ! Got asked to carry a pager. I said 'OK, what are you paying me to carry it?' Nothing, ONLY if you get called in ,you get 4hrs. I never heard the pager go off after the beer pitcher test.......
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:00pm
If you are required to have a cell phone the company should furnish it. IMHO they can be too much of a distraction on the job. If I am working and you want to talk to me leave a message and I will call you when I take a break, or just send me a text. I help a contractor friend on occasion and he always leaves his phone in the truck, says he can't get any work done if he tries to answer the phone every time it rings. Apparently kids that grew up with cell phones can't be without them.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

If you are required to have a cell phone the company should furnish it. IMHO they can be too much of a distraction on the job. If I am working and you want to talk to me leave a message and I will call you when I take a break, or just send me a text. I help a contractor friend on occasion and he always leaves his phone in the truck, says he can't get any work done if he tries to answer the phone every time it rings. Apparently kids that grew up with cell phones can't be without them.

Hubert they can’t. They have never functioned without one.
At my old job I had a no cell phone rule. I remember a young guy asking if he could carry his because his wife was due. I said he could. That is when they didn’t text or have internet. I said ok and remember thinking how handy a cell phone was in their case.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:30pm
Cell phones are handy at times. Before I got a cell phone my Mom was not doing well and I got a pager that would really vibrate. Was working in the 440 volt control box for a set of hangar doors w/o cutting the power. Darn pager went off and I just about crapped my pants.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:31pm
There are exceptions, but for the most part, they cause a lot of injury! (crashes, and getting distracted on jobsites!)
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:48pm
I carry my cell phone when I am traveling or may need it in case of an emergency,    most of the time it is on the counter turned off.  People can`t believe that I don`t carry  a phone.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 9:23pm
I'm like shameless and have a "fwip phone".  Most of the time it's off and the rest of the time I don't know where it is anyway!!  I only have it to call someone if I'm away from my base phone, not to get junk texts and calls from scammers and telemarketers.!
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 9:31pm
With telemarketers wasting you time and the rules for no talking when driving I find myself answering my phone less and less, you can text or leave me a message and I will get back to you when it is convenient. If its an emergency call 911 because I wont get there that fast anyway.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 11:26pm
Well Thad,,,,,where I thought you were going with this was,,,,,,,,,,,
"Cell phones create jobs"

For the undertakers.......  wouldn't bother me a bit either!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
HaroldOmaha View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaroldOmaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 12:22am
I was an remodeling contractor, and before cell phones if a question came up people had to wait till I got home at night, witch was usually after 7PM. That postponed an answer till the next day, and sometimes over a weekend concerning a business. Getting a cell phone was the best thing that ever happened to my business. People got instant answers and my business prospered. Never had many employees, One or two that never used a phone much.

But I've noticed many years later, that daughter, and granddaughter have to have all the latest phones and computers, and they still don't know were to get answers to there problems.

Edited by HaroldOmaha - 15 Mar 2019 at 12:27am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 9:30am
It's really an ISSUE.  And with all this talk about the kids/ millennials, youngn's ....Look around!  It is creeping up in age all the time.  We have supervisors at work, 60 years old, sending employees Memes, jokes, videos, pictures.  My sister used to bitch at her daughter at Sunday dinner for looking at her phone. Now she sits there scrolling through facebook all through dinner.  Funny when she still snaps at her daughter for it!  My sister is almost 57. 

If my sister want to put it on facebook every time she gets a fart stuck crossways, I guess it's her call.  When I have a problem day or trouble on the farm, then somebody asks me about because they saw it on her facebook page, that's when I get CensoredCensoredCensored
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 9:32am
i will not tolerate it at our shop all , and it realy pisses me of if i am at our parts counter with a customer and they start texting right in the middle of things ,if they cannot finnish a transaction how can they do there own jobs,    accectable is taking pictures of somthing that is being taken apart
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 12:12am
Yep, 20 years from now you won't have to know ANY English.....nobody will know how to talk.  BUT, you should see the size of their thumbs!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic